Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NY Yankees thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Who is slated to be the DH and C this year.

Cervelli Laughing Laughing Laughing Romine Laughing Laughing Laughing

Maybe we sign Hairston. Yaaay. Laughing

Catcher will be such a mess.

Get your dirty hands off Hairston.

We're going cheap, still not as cheap as the Mets. Laughing

Hairston's asking price is 2 years, $8M. The Mets of course offered him 1 year for $2M. Laughing
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Who is slated to be the DH and C this year.

Cervelli Laughing Laughing Laughing Romine Laughing Laughing Laughing

Maybe we sign Hairston. Yaaay. Laughing

Catcher will be such a mess.

Get your dirty hands off Hairston.

We're going cheap, still not as cheap as the Mets. Laughing

Hairston's asking price is 2 years, $8M. The Mets of course offered him 1 year for $2M. Laughing

Fangraphs has him at 2 wins last year. Mets are really lowballing him (even though he won't keep 2 wins up). Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
pollino14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets have a little debate....

What is eveyones opinion on Robbie Cano. What contract would you feel comfortable signing him at and what do you think will be the contract he will get?

Personally, and I think I will be in the minority here, if he wants longer than a 2-3 year deal I'd part ways. I just don't see him as a guy who is going to put up good numbers for much longer. And TBH, I'm a bit disappointed in him. I thought he was going to become one of the best players in the league. While he is very good, he's not at the upper tier imo. Still cant hit with RISP either. I think Cano is gonna want a 6 plus year contract and idt he's worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Lets have a little debate....

What is eveyones opinion on Robbie Cano. What contract would you feel comfortable signing him at and what do you think will be the contract he will get?

Personally, and I think I will be in the minority here, if he wants longer than a 2-3 year deal I'd part ways. I just don't see him as a guy who is going to put up good numbers for much longer. And TBH, I'm a bit disappointed in him. I thought he was going to become one of the best players in the league. While he is very good, he's not at the upper tier imo. Still cant hit with RISP either. I think Cano is gonna want a 6 plus year contract and idt he's worth it.

So by putting up the best year in his career he disappointed you? He IS and HAS been one baseball's best players and he will not suddenly drop off a cliff after 3 years, which is so popular to say for some reason.

Saying he can't hit with RISP is ridiculous cherrypicking. How'd he do in 2011 and 2010? I dare you to look it up.

Stop listening to Francesa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop with the dumb remarks.

I consider Cano and Teixera frontrunners. When we're up multiple runs, sure they'll get the hit, but when the game is close forget about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8894904/new-york-yankees-attempting-void-alex-rodriguez-contract-according-sources

I will die, please please void it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8894904/new-york-yankees-attempting-void-alex-rodriguez-contract-according-sources

I will die, please please void it.

Would be incredible, no way it happens htough

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
mission27

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to void ARod's contract would be beyond incredibly stupid. There's absolutely no precedent, it would never hold up to MLB or MLBPA scrutiny, and even if it did we'd be litigating this for years. We're talking about a hundred million dollars. It's not going to just disappear because of some list. We'd still have to pay ARod everything on his deal. Maybe more for a gross breach of contract. And we would likely lose the player and the production going forward.

Anyway, Alex is now in his tenth year with this franchise. He's been a part of eight playoff teams, hit 300 home runs, driven in almost 1000 runs, won two MVP awards, and helped carry this team to a World Series title. He deserves to be viewed for what he is - one of the greatest players in franchise history - instead of as some kind of parasitic scumbag.

#JDI
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
Trying to void ARod's contract would be beyond incredibly stupid. There's absolutely no precedent, it would never hold up to MLB or MLBPA scrutiny, and even if it did we'd be litigating this for years. We're talking about a hundred million dollars. It's not going to just disappear because of some list. We'd still have to pay ARod everything on his deal. Maybe more for a gross breach of contract. And we would likely lose the player and the production going forward.

Anyway, Alex is now in his tenth year with this franchise. He's been a part of eight playoff teams, hit 300 home runs, driven in almost 1000 runs, won two MVP awards, and helped carry this team to a World Series title. He deserves to be viewed for what he is - one of the greatest players in franchise history - instead of as some kind of parasitic scumbag.

No... No he's not. Not anywhere near it. I'm not even going to waste my time looking at his pathetic play-off performances.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlb.com released the top 100 prospects.

Gary Sanchez ranked 36
Mason Williams ranked 41
Tyler Austin ranked 75

Nice to get the farm system back up. Hopefully these guys develop like they are projected to.

#JDI
mission27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
mission27 wrote:

No... No he's not. Not anywhere near it. I'm not even going to waste my time looking at his pathetic play-off performances.

He's sixth all-time in Yankees history in home runs. That's behind Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, and Bera. He's also the only Yankee outside those five to win multiple MVP awards. All of those guys played essentially their entire offensive careers in New York. By the time ARod got here, he was a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer. If he plays a few more seasons here he'll almost certainly pass Bera and DiMaggio. He should also finish his career in the top-10 in Yankees history in RBI and stolen bases and runs scored. Again, despite not joining the Yankees until his 11th year in Major League Baseball.

You don't want to hear about regular season stats? You want to see wins and playoff wins and World Series titles? Fine. If Alex Rodriguez isn't a Yankee the Yankees probably don't make it to the ALCS in 2004. And if Mariano Rivera does his job ARod wins his first ring in his first year in pinstripes and he's a hero from day one. If Alex Rodriguez isn't a Yankee this team doesn't make the playoffs in 2005 or in 2007. If Alex Rodriguez isn't a Yankee this team doesn't make it to the World Series in 2009 and we're sitting here talking about 12 years without a title.

It's funny that Alex gets so much crap and yet all of us idolize Reggie Jackson. Reggie was with the Yankees half as long as Alex has been with the Yankees. He hit 160 fewer home runs with this team. He drove in 500 fewer runs. He never won an MVP - only came close once - and he was actually a cancer in the clubhouse, a guy who actually didn't get along with this team's beloved captain. All Reggie has on Alex is one more ring and one great game and a way over-inflated myth.

Guess what? Reggie Jackson crapped the bed in the 1977 ALCS. His first year, his first playoff series, he hit .125. And if the Yankees don't come back in the final inning of the final game of the ALCS, three outs away from elimination at the hands of the Royals, Reggie Jackson doesn't have a chance to hit three home runs in a row in the World Series. Reggie Jackson doesn't win the 1977 World Series. Reggie Jackson gets torn apart in the press and quite possibly traded. Dead on arrival as a Yankee. Everyone also forgets that Reggie failed to drive in a single run in the ALCS in 1980 and the Yankees actually did get eliminated that year by the Royals. Or that Reggie was hitless in the ALCS in 1981.

Any Yankees fan that doesn't realize Alex Rodriguez is one of the two greatest Yankees of the past 50 years is delusional and spoiled and really didn't deserve to see this team win in the late-90s and again a few years ago. It's crazy that a guy can do so much for this franchise for so long and still be completely hated by about 50-75% of the fan base. Mind boggling.

#JDI
pollino14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Please stop, it's an embarrassment to all of the great players who have worn the pinstripes.

Alex is a great baseball player, not a great Yankee. There's a difference.

He's been nothing but a selfish and a distraction.

When the bright lights are on Alex, and the at bat means something he won't come through, regular season or post-season. He's a front runner.

And please, go check Reggie's post-season stats before you compare the two.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
^^^ Please stop, it's an embarrassment to all of the great players who have worn the pinstripes.

Alex is a great baseball player, not a great Yankee. There's a difference.

This isn't Hogwarts. This isn't about magic and spells. This is about playing baseball. This is a baseball franchise. Alex Rodriguez has been an all-time great baseball player for this team and he's played here for ten years and the only other full time player you can say that about since Mantle retired is Derek Jeter. He deserves credit for that. He deserves credit for everything he's done for us. We wouldn't have had the same kind of success the past decade with Aaron Boone playing third base.

pollino14 wrote:
When the bright lights are on Alex, and the at bat means something he won't come through, regular season or post-season. He's a front runner.

And please, go check Reggie's post-season stats before you compare the two.

Counter examples:

2004 ALDS and even ALCS.
2005 season as a whole, when the rest of the team sucked.
2007, over and over again, in game winning or tying situations.
2009 ALDS and ALCS and even World Series.

He's had an up and down playoff record with the Yankees. Reggie's was better on the whole. Anyone and everyone would give you that. But Reggie almost cost us the 1977 ALCS. He was so bad Billy Martin benched him in game five. If his teammates don't score three runs in the ninth inning of the final game of the 1977 ALCS Reggie doesn't win that ring, he doesn't hit those home runs, he's not Mr. October and he's not an icon in New York. He might not even be a Yankee in 1978. That's how this sport is.

Everyone's entitled to their own view on the topic of ARod. I understand the frustration. He's been bad at times. I just think it's silly and sad (because he really cares) that a player who has single handedly carried the Yankees to the playoffs at least twice in nine years, and won a couple of MVP awards, and played a very large role in the 2009 World Series which is possibly the last we are going to see for a while is a villan.

#JDI
pollino14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a different attitude being a Yankee that is not like anywhere else, and that's what makes them special. While great regular season stats matter highly for most teams, they don't for the Yankees. The Yankees expect to be in the post-season, and they expect to win. To win, they expect their players to play their best, which A-Rod doesn't do. I will always regard him as a great player, but a great Yankee I do not.

And I feel bad for Alex, I really do. He's one of the hardest workers in the league, and he really tries his heart out. He's very... fragile emotionally and needs to be loved, and patted on the back constantly which doesn't happen in NY. He's always tried to be a "Jeter", but he's not as likeable as Derek is. I feel Alex would do loads better if he went to a place where the expectations are lower so he can just play baseball and not be under the microscope all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Law ranked our system tenth best. Let's hope we can keep it up by not just moving everyone. Laughing

#JDI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 95 of 100

Jump to: