Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official FF Technology Thread #2
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Official FF Technology Thread #2 Reply with quote

Wow, the last one was started in April of 2009, but has finally hit 100 pages.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Let's keep the technology posts and questions coming!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Bruno. Best is subjective. A wireless G router will probably give you good coverage through your house. Get a quality brand though.

I like Asus. I used to like Linksys, until they were bought by Cisco. When they were bought they started reducing on board memory - which isn't a problem for most people.

So Linksys and Asus are two good brands.

Ramster
SoS wrote:
(Remember, I like that Steven Jackson style best Very Happy )
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steferfootballd wrote:
For Bruno. Best is subjective. A wireless G router will probably give you good coverage through your house. Get a quality brand though.

I like Asus. I used to like Linksys, until they were bought by Cisco. When they were bought they started reducing on board memory - which isn't a problem for most people.

So Linksys and Asus are two good brands.

Linksys are fine. My parents have one at their house, and I don't like it very much, but it gets the job done. My main complaint is that it won't let them set their own network password, and instead generates a 25+ character network key that is needed for a computer to connect to the network. The thing is 12 years old though, so maybe the new Linksys products don't suffer from the same problem. And like I said, that's really the only problem with it...it works well other than that, and that's really a minor issue.

I like Netgear, personally.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 incog points to the poster who delivers the best HTPC setup (via Amazon links) to me.

Must include:
Case
Motherboard
CPU
4GB RAM
Hard Drive (leaning toward internal SSD, external HD right now)
PSU
Wireless mouse/keyboard

Don't require gaming capabilities. Ideally around $600. I have a cart in Amazon at about $720 right now. Looking to better that.

aaanndddd go!

Very Happy
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just because your an officer does not mean I'll build your computer for you. Sir.

jk, jk. I recommend you go over to Maximum PC or PC Gamer. They usually have budget rig setups.
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a serious problem. My laptop developed a crack a few weeks ago. That crack turned into a break, and now the left hand hinge on the screen doesn't work. As in, I'm afraid the screen is going to fall off if I look at it wrong. Is this even possible to repair? It's an HP laptop, and so far I have not figured out who I should call. Any tips?
pmk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
100 incog points to the poster who delivers the best HTPC setup (via Amazon links) to me.

Must include:
Case
Motherboard
CPU
4GB RAM
Hard Drive (leaning toward internal SSD, external HD right now)
PSU
Wireless mouse/keyboard

Don't require gaming capabilities. Ideally around $600. I have a cart in Amazon at about $720 right now. Looking to better that.

aaanndddd go!

Very Happy
SSD is a waste for an HTPC, especially at that price point. I know you said amazon, but I prefer newegg Very Happy https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=24039428

I've been thinking about throwing together an HTPC as well with some extra parts I have laying around. Any recommendations on an OS?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EYE wrote:

Hey guys! Quick query:

I have a ZT Affinity 7524Mi Desktop with Intel Core i5-650 Processor computer. My question is: I have a EVGA GeForce 9400 GT video card just sitting around collecting dust. I believe it's This one.

I'm not sure what graphics are in my Affinity computer, but it is an integrated one. Should I put in the EVGA? Would I get better graphics quality and performance? Or would it not be worth my time to put it in?

I just don't want it sitting around and wonder if it's worth it is all. Laughing

And if so: How do I install it?

THANKS!

Edit to add: It's a GMA HD.

I guess more what I'm asking is the older 9400 GT is better than the integrated graphics card? So it would be worth my while to install it?

What is a while anyway? Think

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Then to put it in, first you take off the back panel metal cover (about a half inch wide and a few inches tall). That's so the ports are showing out the back. Then you just gently shove it into the PCI slot until it's firmly in there. Plug in the power. Boom.

Don't forget to plug your monitor's vga/dvi/hdmi cord into your graphics card then.

Pretty easy. For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it's a 20 minute job. Once you know how, you can do it in about 2 minutes or less.

It's integrated graphics: So I don't have to uninstall the integrated graphics? I have heard you have to go thru a complex process to install a new card.

Thanks!

Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Beast wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM&feature=player_embedded

Laughing

So what you're saying is I can do it?

Laughing

theJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
theJ wrote:

Then to put it in, first you take off the back panel metal cover (about a half inch wide and a few inches tall). That's so the ports are showing out the back. Then you just gently shove it into the PCI slot until it's firmly in there. Plug in the power. Boom.

Don't forget to plug your monitor's vga/dvi/hdmi cord into your graphics card then.

Pretty easy. For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it's a 20 minute job. Once you know how, you can do it in about 2 minutes or less.

It's integrated graphics: So I don't have to uninstall the integrated graphics? I have heard you have to go thru a complex process to install a new card.

Thanks!

No plugging the card in will disable the integrated graphics, provided you plug your monitor into the graphics card.

The only other step i didn't list was installing the drivers. If you're running W7, then it'll do it for you and it's not a problem. If you're on XP then you'll have to pull the drivers from Nvidea's website.

The 9400 will be better than your integrated most likely. To see what your integrated graphics are:

(on XP) go to your desktop, right click, go to the Settings tab. Read the text under "Display".

(on W7) Right click on desktop select Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter

Let us know and we can tell you for sure. The 9400 GT is pretty outdated, but there's a solid chance it's better than your integrated. Then you just have to ask yourself if you'll use it. It's pointless to install if you're just surfing the web and watching videos. Worth it if you like to play games with good graphics.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
I've been thinking about throwing together an HTPC as well with some extra parts I have laying around. Any recommendations on an OS?

If you want to use Netflix, W7 is pretty much your only option at this point.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
theJ wrote:

Thanks!

No plugging the card in will disable the integrated graphics, provided you plug your monitor into the graphics card.

The only other step i didn't list was installing the drivers. If you're running W7, then it'll do it for you and it's not a problem. If you're on XP then you'll have to pull the drivers from Nvidea's website.

The 9400 will be better than your integrated most likely. To see what your integrated graphics are:

(on XP) go to your desktop, right click, go to the Settings tab. Read the text under "Display".

(on W7) Right click on desktop select Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter

Let us know and we can tell you for sure. The 9400 GT is pretty outdated, but there's a solid chance it's better than your integrated. Then you just have to ask yourself if you'll use it. It's pointless to install if you're just surfing the web and watching videos. Worth it if you like to play games with good graphics.

All it says is Intel HD graphics.

steferfootballd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829

It is somewhere between an entertainment system and a smart house.

Ramster
SoS wrote:
(Remember, I like that Steven Jackson style best Very Happy )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 1 of 73

Jump to: