You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official FF Technology Thread #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 99, 100, 101  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
theJ wrote:
My boot drive on my desktop failed yesterday. No big deal, it had no data on it, and it's under warranty.

Problem now is that i don't have access to any of my data because it's on my storage drive (internal drive in my tower, SATA port). And i'm betting that if i get this drive to UPS tonight or tomorrow that Western Digital isn't going to get me a replacement in under a week.

I'm probably going a month without my computer. Bleh.

Use Live CD (or USB) of Ubuntu, should give you basic computer use and access to mount your storage drive.

Quote:
Question for you guys: i'm considering just spending another $30 to get a SSD instead of using the RMA'd drive for boot.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-120GB-SDSSDA-120G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G414U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491397621&sr=1-1&keywords=internal+SSD&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A14027457011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7688215011

That's the one i'm looking at. It's $15 cheaper than all other SSD's of that size, but it's HFS+. I'm on Windows 10. Can the windows installer reformat that drive to NTFS, or do i need to buy the cable still to reformat the drive using another computer?

I never use the Windows patitioner, but I've dealt with a different sized version of that drive, and GParted (I use every time I do clean OS install) never had any issues with it. You can just use it to wipe all partitions and create "unallocated free space", and Windows will know what to do form there.

Thanks. A buddy recommended using a live USB of Windows or Ubuntu to access the data and wipe the drive too. I think that's a good idea, and gets me access tonight (and access while i try to convince the wife a SSD is a good idea Smile )

~T.S. Eliot
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bootable USB of latest Ubuntu is ready to go for when i get home tonight. Been a minute since i've used Ubuntu, so this gives me a chance to play around with it again.

~T.S. Eliot
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
theJ wrote:
My boot drive on my desktop failed yesterday. No big deal, it had no data on it, and it's under warranty.

Problem now is that i don't have access to any of my data because it's on my storage drive (internal drive in my tower, SATA port). And i'm betting that if i get this drive to UPS tonight or tomorrow that Western Digital isn't going to get me a replacement in under a week.

I'm probably going a month without my computer. Bleh.

Use Live CD (or USB) of Ubuntu, should give you basic computer use and access to mount your storage drive.

Quote:
Question for you guys: i'm considering just spending another $30 to get a SSD instead of using the RMA'd drive for boot.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-120GB-SDSSDA-120G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G414U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491397621&sr=1-1&keywords=internal+SSD&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A14027457011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7688215011

That's the one i'm looking at. It's $15 cheaper than all other SSD's of that size, but it's HFS+. I'm on Windows 10. Can the windows installer reformat that drive to NTFS, or do i need to buy the cable still to reformat the drive using another computer?

I never use the Windows patitioner, but I've dealt with a different sized version of that drive, and GParted (I use every time I do clean OS install) never had any issues with it. You can just use it to wipe all partitions and create "unallocated free space", and Windows will know what to do form there.

Thanks. A buddy recommended using a live USB of Windows or Ubuntu to access the data and wipe the drive too. I think that's a good idea, and gets me access tonight (and access while i try to convince the wife a SSD is a good idea Smile )

No go.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard. After some googling, apparently Gigabyte thinks booting from USB is a crime against humanity. I guess i'll have to buy a new HDD or that converter if i want access to my files before May.

~T.S. Eliot
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. Has to be an option to enable it. What does it tell you specifically?

D#######
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
No way. Has to be an option to enable it. What does it tell you specifically?

Nothing. It's like it's not there.

I've tried selecting USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD as boot devices. I've tried doing that while in three different USB slots (there are six slots on the motherboard, one set of four, one set of two, and then another set of two on front of the tower that are plugged into a controller). I've tested the live USB on another computer and it worked fine. At this point all the computer had done was bypass the USB and try to boot from CD-ROM.

I've googled the $%^# out of it and tried a few of the wacky things on the internet. They include unplugging the CD-ROM completely from the mobo. Nothing changed. I tried pulling out the USB so that there was no boot device at all. At that point it actually error'd and said to insert a boot device. So i put in the live USB and got the same error. I tried timing the insertion of the live USB to just after boot at the suggestion of an article on these dumb Gigabyte motherboards. Didn't work.

I then re-did the live USB install using different software at the suggestion of a 10 year old post on some random forum. I then repeated everything above. This time the error it gave me was BOOT ERROR. Wonderful. New error, same problem.

All told i wasted 3 hours last night.

I bought the converter and swore my next motherboard would not be a Gigabyte.

~T.S. Eliot
Mossburg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't, try different USB sticks. I've had a similar problem on a PC that's 7-10 years old, some sticks weren't recognized as bootable while they were on other computers. Also try to use Rufus to put it on the USB if you haven't, that's been the most reliable program for me.

All else fails and it has nothing to do with your BIOS boot settings(I'm assuming you looked into this), just burn a disk. No way it doesn't work from a disk.

D#######
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
If you haven't, try different USB sticks. I've had a similar problem on a PC that's 7-10 years old, some sticks weren't recognized as bootable while they were on other computers. Also try to use Rufus to put it on the USB if you haven't, that's been the most reliable program for me.

All else fails and it has nothing to do with your BIOS boot settings(I'm assuming you looked into this), just burn a disk. No way it doesn't work from a disk.

It'll work from a disk. Problem is the only computer i have access to with a disc burner is the one that is out of commission. I have two burners on that machine, and i think one of them may be SATA, so this cable i ordered should allow me to use it. I just may have to have the power supply for the desktop connected to it. I'm assuming that should work.

I may try another stick later. I did use Rufus. I did look through the BIOS settings and nothing was immediately obvious. But motherboards do weird crazy stuff, so who knows.

~T.S. Eliot
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shiny new Galaxy S8+ was delivered today. The Screen on this thing is unreal especially considering it's a 6.2 inch screen in a phone that honestly doesn't even feel insanely huge or anything. First time I've ever bought a phone at launch, and first time I've ever owned any of the flagship models.

Bixby is pretty much useless unfortunately..although it's suppose to be improved a lot in the future.

Seen a lot of complaints about the placement of the fingerprint scanner but I haven't had any issue using it (then again I don't have small hands and am left-handed so it may feel a bit more natural for me than it will for some people)

Won't be getting the DeX dock until next week but exited to try it out (lets you hook the phone up to any HDMI monitor or TV and connect a keyboard and mouse to use the phone as a mini-PC) really want to see if the UI when plugged in actually feels natural like a PC or if it's shoddy.

I did the preorder so I'll be getting the Gear VR headset and controller for free as well, honestly don't even know if I'll ever even use it...will have to see how good it is (I've never tried it)
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone can help me. I have a galaxy s5 and I have no idea how to copy a pictures Img and post it on here?
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Doyle Rules wrote:
Maybe someone can help me. I have a galaxy s5 and I have no idea how to copy a pictures Img and post it on here?

You have to upload it to a site like imgur.com and link to it from there.

Mack on the sig
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a Mac guy my whole life, but thinking about purchasing a Chromebook. Anyone familiar with them / have any advice?

I'd use it primarily for web browsing, video/music streaming, and some light Adobe InDesign work. Any ideas on what would be some good options? Anything <$700?

edit - and I just read that Chromebook doesn't support InDesign! ha!

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those new Intel x series processors look insane Shocked

An 18 core processor?!?! I want one.... Too bad it's a $2000 CPU Very Happy
Mossburg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
Those new Intel x series processors look insane Shocked

An 18 core processor?!?! I want one.... Too bad it's a $2000 CPU Very Happy

Those are a hard pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

D#######
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a better laptop in the ~$1000 price range than the Lenovo Yoga 720 before I buy it?

$1050
7th Gen i7-7700HQ Processor (2.80GHz 6MB)
15.6" FHD IPS LED Multitouch (1920x1080)
8.0GB DDR4 2133 MHz
256GB PCIe SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
72 Watt Hour Li-Polymer

very good review from notebookcheck.net:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-720-15IKB-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.227572.0.html

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 100 of 101

Jump to: