Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official FF Technology Thread #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've never replaced a PSU before (in fact I've only ever replaced a hard drive, twice) but I'm sure i can do it. Doesn't look that hard. If anything, I can use youtube as my guide Smile

I'm going to test out the PC first tho (it hasn't arrived yet) and if it's fast enough without a video card I will just hold off the upgrade. Well until I decide I want to play PC games (doubt it, but I never know...)

Mack on the sig
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Well I've never replaced a PSU before (in fact I've only ever replaced a hard drive, twice) but I'm sure i can do it. Doesn't look that hard. If anything, I can use youtube as my guide Smile

I'm going to test out the PC first tho (it hasn't arrived yet) and if it's fast enough without a video card I will just hold off the upgrade. Well until I decide I want to play PC games (doubt it, but I never know...)

It's not hard. The end connectors are all keyed and looked completely different. You can't screw it up. It's as easy as plugging the lamp into the 110V recepticle and the oven into the 220V recepticle.

The only tricky part is making sure you get the correctly sized PSU.

I'd recommend trying the PC without the video card for a while. If it works fine for your needs, go with it. If it doesn't, then buy. I'd think that built in card would work just fine though.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright FFers, I have a question for you tech-heads...

I'm looking to set up a home network system soon here and was wondering what everyone has for suggestions.

My main goal is to have a main storage hub for all media and being able to stream it to my main tv (which is where my HTPC is certainly set up), to a future tv in the bedroom and all our laptops, mobile devices.

Just wondering what you would suggest I use. I'm kinda of debating between going for an apple system or sticking with a PC system which I have components for right now.

Also would maybe think about including exterior speakers at some point and would like to be able to control everything with my (soon to buy) smart phone.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

I'm looking to set up a home network system soon here and was wondering what everyone has for suggestions.

My main goal is to have a main storage hub for all media and being able to stream it to my main tv (which is where my HTPC is certainly set up), to a future tv in the bedroom and all our laptops, mobile devices.

Just wondering what you would suggest I use. I'm kinda of debating between going for an apple system or sticking with a PC system which I have components for right now.

Also would maybe think about including exterior speakers at some point and would like to be able to control everything with my (soon to buy) smart phone.

A lot of this depends on your budget. I did something similar using a NAS made for home users, QNAP makes some quality NAS (network attached storage). I bought this for around $700 including drives. The price can go up or down depending on what type of drives you buy and the size of the said drives. This would be your main storage hub. The good thing about the NAS is that it allows for built in redundancy of drives, for instance if you build a RAID1, you can lose a hard drive and still function normally.

Before you spend a lot of time checking out exterior speakers, check out Sonos speakers. They are speakers that have built in wireless to them. You can connect to your library or you can connect to music services like Pandora, Slacker, etc. I am looking to do this very thing. They have an app to control the speakers. Also, it will sync up with the NAS I mentioned above.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

It'll be much cheaper to just buy a massive hard drive or two, put them in your main rig, and just network share everything from there. If you PC stays on most of the time, then there's no issue.

I was actually about to buy a network bay and hook it up to my router, but went the route I just described because it cost me nothing more than the price of the hard disk. I share everything to various rooms through various devices.

BTW, is this going to be wired or wireless?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
It'll be much cheaper to just buy a massive hard drive or two, put them in your main rig, and just network share everything from there. If you PC stays on most of the time, then there's no issue.

A lot of routers will allow you to do the same thing, that way you don't ever need a main computer on. You just plug them into the router and they're almost plug-and-play without having to set anything up.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Mossburg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

A lot of routers will allow you to do the same thing, that way you don't ever need a main computer on. You just plug them into the router and they're almost plug-and-play without having to set anything up.

I have a router with a USB port, I am not sure though if the HD stays on all the time or turns off when you're not using. I'm gonna experiment with that soon, because I wouldn't want to have an external HD running all the time. You're also limited to the space of an external HD, where as you can stack various HDs into your PC.

I've considered all the options for this. The network server bays seem to be the coolest and most convenient way to go, but there are just too many cons: they're expensive, they can hold limited storage, a lot of user reviews suggest various technical issues especially for the lower end ones which still cost in the 100s. It's just flat out not worth the price IMO.

The best and most reliable thing to do is set up a network share on a desktop.

incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:

I was actually about to buy a network bay and hook it up to my router, but went the route I just described because it cost me nothing more than the price of the hard disk. I share everything to various rooms through various devices.

wired would probably be fine, my main concern is being able to access it on both tv in living room where PC is and in bedroom.

Best bet just getting a media player for bedroom then? I'll probably wire that tv up to my cable box too anyway, so wired should be fine for me.
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

wired would probably be fine, my main concern is being able to access it on both tv in living room where PC is and in bedroom.

Best bet just getting a media player for bedroom then? I'll probably wire that tv up to my cable box too anyway, so wired should be fine for me.

Yup, get a simple media player with a network port and you're set. On a good sale, you can get a super solid one for $50. Or you can use an XBOX or PS3 if you have one to do the same.

x0x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an affordable Video editing software for MP4 High Quality videos?

Adobe Premier works great for 1k footage but it's over $800 freaking dollars.

I need to be able to smoothly edit 1k footage with 4g of Ram.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My wireless connection is pretty slow, so I tested in on speedtest and got a 2.15 Mbps download speed. Then I hooked it up directly via ethernet cable and it read 17.25 Mbps. That's a huge jump, and wanted to see what the reasoning could be. Is there a way to improve it?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My wireless connection is pretty slow, so I tested in on speedtest and got a 2.15 Mbps download speed. Then I hooked it up directly via ethernet cable and it read 17.25 Mbps. That's a huge jump, and wanted to see what the reasoning could be. Is there a way to improve it?

Change the wireless channel on the router. Repair the wireless connection on the computer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Change the wireless channel on the router. Repair the wireless connection on the computer.

Piggybacking on this, if you have a smart phone there's an app called "Wifi Analyzer" that can help you figure out which channel you should have your wifi set to. Most people never touch the channel, so if you live in a congested area everyone is split between two channels (3 and 11 maybe? can't remember...).

Changing to a different channel can help out enormously.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Piggybacking on this, if you have a smart phone there's an app called "Wifi Analyzer" that can help you figure out which channel you should have your wifi set to. Most people never touch the channel, so if you live in a congested area everyone is split between two channels (3 and 11 maybe? can't remember...).

Changing to a different channel can help out enormously.

1, 3, 6, and 11 are the common ones. Kismet is another program to use to see what everybody else is using. I personally use Channel 8, because nobody in the neighborhood was.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to transport all the music from the itunes on my old laptop to my new one? (Neither are Macs if that helps)

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 13 Sacks: 1 Interceptions: 0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 31 of 73

Jump to: