Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Big Mac...Executive of the Year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Big Mac...Executive of the Year? Reply with quote

Well here we are 10-5 and the scenarios of scenarios, the Jets face the Bills and Rex Ryan for a sure playoff spot with a win.

So the question has to be asked, does Big Mac deserve a EOTY Award?

The two off season trades for a 5th rounder (B. Marshall) and a 7th which turned into a 6th rounder (Ryan Fitz).

We should likewise not diminish the OL FA signing of James Carpenter who is having a quiet Pro Bowl year and has become one of the best at his position.

Not to mention, giving heed to his decision on jumping on the opportunity to sign Todd Bowles and allowing Bowles to choose his OC in Chan Gailey.

Maccagnan deserves not only to be considered but should be the front runner.

He has my vote!

Woody Johnson has to be given some credit as well, he brought in professional football people with a winning track record to help his organization, leaving no stone unturned.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. Who else is more deserving? Regardless, I don't think it really matters if he gets the award or not; it's clear that he maneuvered the offseason better than any other GM in the NFL.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Gilchrist, Buster Skrine, Darrelle Revis and drafting Williams and Mauldin too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free agent signings and trades has worked out for the most part.

Is there a rookie head coach award? Todd Bowles is going to have the best record among the first year head coaches. His cool demeanor and decision not to go with Geno Smith when Fitz was going thru a rough patch kept the team focused and allowed the team to rally and go on this 5 game winning streak.
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoutout to Idzik on the assist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that cap space Idzik left did make it very possible for Mac to be aggressive in free agency. He deserves credit though for targeting the right players as the past with other teams dictates (Bucs, Redskins have won free agency periods before and regressed) signing players doesn't equate to success. I think the big thing was there is a clear dialogue between Bowles and Mac on scheme fit etc.. on every move which is how it should be. GM's should always make moves to fit the coaches scheme. It doesn't matter how great a player is if the coach doesn't love the fit.

Soaring Jets Wall of Honor Member
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trades for Marshall and Decker look brilliant as well as drafting Wiliiams and Lozo.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading a 6th round pick for Ryan Fitzpatrick and trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall look genius.

He had a very good offseason. I wasn't a big fan of the James Carpenter signing, but he ended up having a career year with us.

Its amazing how this team went from one of the worst offenses in football to a top 10 offense. You hire a competent offensive coordinator. Trade for a elite #1 WR. Trade for a veteran QB who is proven to be able to play.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a testament to the staff though too that so many of these guys have elevated their play and had question marks with other franchises. Carpenter, Gilchrist, we're getting one of Marshall's best ever seasons and undoubtedly the best of Fitzpatrick's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:

He definitely set us up well financially, but I'd hate to see what players he would've targeted with all the money.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Davey wrote:

He definitely set us up well financially, but I'd hate to see what players he would've targeted with all the money.

Yeah .. totally... right?! Might have gotten guys like Decker..or Ivory. Or even drafted someone like Pryor...or Sheldon... or Enunwa....or found a solid dude like Marcus Williams.

::ducks:: ::hides::

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way Revis would have been back, so for that I'm happy Idzik wasn't here for last off season. Let's also not forget what an abmysal job he did in the middle rounds of the draft either.
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah .. totally... right?! Might have gotten guys like Decker..or Ivory. Or even drafted someone like Pryor...or Sheldon... or Enunwa....or found a solid dude like Marcus Williams.

::ducks:: ::hides::

With the benefit of time Idzik never received, it does look a little better now. Idzik's approach was more measured and patient and he never got to see it out. While I'm not upset at all that he was fired and we moved on to Maccagnan, I hope Idzik does get another shot down the line with a team more willing to let him complete his project. I don't know if Idzik would have worked out here, but I know it was doomed from the start when we pinned a conservative patient long term strategist GM with a veteran head coach who would do anything he could to buy himself another season.

Karmaloop wrote:
There's no way Revis would have been back, so for that I'm happy Idzik wasn't here for last off season. Let's also not forget what an abmysal job he did in the middle rounds of the draft either.

Oh, for sure. I'm not missing him, and I'm very satisfied with where Maccagnan has the team in year one. But Maccagnan's ability to improve this team also was in part due to Idzik's plan to create a healthy cap situation and major room to spend going into this past offseason. If there was one good thing Idzik can be remembered for positively, it is navigating what originally was a disastrous cap situation into an excellent position to improve the team. Hence the "assist."

If you told me this time last year the Jets would have Darrelle Revis back, a quarterback about to set team single season records, and one of the best receivers the team has ever had, I would have bit your hand off for even one of those. You'll get no complaints from me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
I think so. Who else is more deserving? Regardless, I don't think it really matters if he gets the award or not; it's clear that he maneuvered the offseason better than any other GM in the NFL.

IT has been a long time since we had a GM like Mac, no question. I hope he has a off season in the FA market like he has last year. The Marshall & Carpenter & Buster Shines pickup plugged three major holes on the Jets. Carpenter has done a outstanding job at guard.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cap space tightening and Mo's contract waiting on the horizon things are only going to get tougher for Mac. These next two seasons will really test him to see what's he's made of.

Love love love this offseason but it's not every year you get have the #1 player in the draft fall to you at 6, are forced to spend big in FA and have a career backup QB have the lightbulb go on with a troubled WR.

Lets hope he continues to build this team for some actual long term success.

Props to Mack on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: