Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Big questions about our 2014 draft picks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Big questions about our 2014 draft picks Reply with quote

No question Pryor & Amaro will be a big help for the Jets, but the rest of the draft picks show nothing. I can't see any of the rest of the picks doing anything, to help us. From the third round on the picks stink. How many of the late round picks will even make the team?
mikejets22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Big questions about our 2014 draft picks Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
No question Pryor & Amaro will be a big help for the Jets, but the rest of the draft picks show nothing. I can't see any of the rest of the picks doing anything, to help us. From the third round on the picks stink. How many of the late round picks will even make the team?

If Amaro and Pryor contribute it's fine. The reality is a lot of our picks were developmental guys who can contribute on ST years 1 and 2 and develop into potential backups down the line. You hope for a few steals along the way. IK? Enunwa has all physical attributes. Packaging some of those picks to move up maybe in the 3rd or 4th would have been nice, and I'm sure Idzik fielded and put out calls. At the end of the day, time and only time will tell. Best bet is to NOT have expectations for any one picked in the 4th round or beyond ever, more often than not they don't amount to much - but you could always come up with a steal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya 2/12 draft picks contributing is bad. That's why I'd rather have traded up and had 8 solid picks rather than 12 picks with 8 of them being worthless.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Ya 2/12 draft picks contributing is bad. That's why I'd rather have traded up and had 8 solid picks rather than 12 picks with 8 of them being worthless.

I see Pryor, Amaro, (Dex would have), Saunders having roles. Would have been 1st 4 picks.

Rest really is a crapshoot. Dozier, IK, George look like they have potential. I get the feeling we won't be down on this draft in a year or 2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IK and Dozier had good preseasons and what are you gonna do about guys getting hurt.

Atleast Pryor and Amaro were the best rookies in their positions this preseason.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
Heymangold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i don't think this draft was that great. i know it's only preseason but in reality other then Pryor and Amaro, there don't seem to be many starting caliber players from this draft.

Saunders isn't going to make a difference, no good news about Evans before his injury, Quincy hasn't shown anything but the ability to get injured, IK and Reilly have been decent but aren't anything more then 4-5th OLBs.

Dozier could be a decent guard but no real news about him. Boyd shouldn't even be put on the practice squad. George is a decent depth player but isn't going to be a starter.

Dixon will be a PS player for a couple years. All we can hope is that McDougle can come back next year and be a contributor.

All and all it's a pretty poor class.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of conclusions made before the 1st regular season game in their rookie year, good to know

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
green24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I think regardless of outcome this draft class is going to be underrated for us, kind of like the 2012 class is. Yes we had 12 picks, but five came in the last two rounds and nine came in the last four rounds. In reality, we'd be lucky if one or maybe two of those picks stuck. But when people look back, they'll see four busts back there and look at this as a failure. Late round picks shouldn't really be criticized if they don't turn out, but I'm sure people will do so heavily when we have so many of them.

Quote:
i actually tend to agree that this is a weak class. in reality, if Evans didn't get hurt, was he going to make the team? I don't think Reilly, IK, Boyd, Dixon, Enunwa and potentially George will make the 53. sure they can make the PS, but the odds of them becoming impact players are low at that point.

Case and point right here. Yes, it's half the draft class, but it's one fifth round pick, four sixth round picks, and a seventh round pick. And outside of Boyd and arguably George, none of them have performed below standards. In fact, two of them (IK and Reilly) have clearly raised some eyebrows in the preseason and outperformed expectations. Brandon Dixon showed a lot of promise for a sixth round pick as well. It's hard to evaluate Enunwa at this point since he missed so much time with injury, but he did reportedly have some impressive practices. I was closely watching #82 whenever he was on the field on Saturday and he was not given a chance to contribute. I only saw him on the field for one Vick pass (the Gates TD) and Tajh Boyd, who only threw to his first read on each pass attempt, did not throw to or look at Enunwa once.

The odds of any 5th-7th round pick becoming an impact player is low. Compared to typical late round production, I see no reason to complain with what we have seen in glimpses to this point.

In terms of the early picks, which are more open for criticism, I don't see much of a reason to complain at this point. I think we were all highly impressed with what we saw from Calvin Pryor on Saturday. Jace Amaro has flashed talent and skill in the preseason, but has struggled with drops (in practice), learning the playbook, and adapting to an NFL offense. However, such is typical for a rookie TE. His blocking has been better than expected for someone who was essentially a WR in college. Dexter McDougle was looking really impressive until he unfortunately tore his ACL. Yes, you can point to his injury history in college as reason that we should have been cautious of drafting him as early as we did, but we took the guy who we thought was the best talent available. It's hard to argue with that line of thinking. Yes, Jalen Saunders is small, but we obviously knew that when we drafted him. He is the favorite to serve as the punt returner this season. Considering we have previously taken gadget-like players in the fourth round (Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Joe McKnight), I don't think the value is bad here, especially with Saunders' potential contribution as a pure WR. Shaq Evans was struggling early on with drops, which is strange since he was known to have great hands in college. Despite this slow start, he still would have had time to turn his camp around if it wasn't for the shoulder injury. Since he was a fourth round pick, it's highly unlikely we would have cut him regardless. Dakota Dozier is reportedly more advanced than Winters and Aboushi were at this time last year, despite coming from Furman. Pretty good for a guy taken at the tail end of the fourth round.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I really think George and IK can become very good rotational players. George had a few hard hits in the hole against the Eagles and I think can be a solid rotational MLB if not this year next year. IK has looked promising as well getting to the QB. They both need some development but I think they're worth keeping.

Rielly could boost our special teams and Dixon has all the measurables you want in a CB but rookie CB's always struggle so it'll take him a year or two most likely. Again both are lat round picks which are hard to predict.

As most have said the 1st four picks look to be impact players. McDougle would have had a rough season (see rookie CB's) but has starting CB potential. Amaro and Pryor look like long time staters for us and Saunders will be an asset to our return game and a gadget player.

If one of Evans or Enunwa can step up this class should be considered a success. Dozier is developmental guy as well so these late round picks take a year or two before they can be fully evaluated.

Obviously not all the late round guys will stick there will be a few who just can't cut it but a few have flashed potential enough to develop and could eventually be an impact.

Truth is you need to hit on your first 3-4 picks (after that it's a crap shoot) and it looks like 1 and 2 were a success. McDougle is something you can't predict but I liked what little I saw of him and Saunders is at the very least a special teams guy/gadget player.

We stocked up on late round developmental guys and now before game one they are all busts? Pryor and Amaro make this draft decent all by themselves, anything else (and there is a ton of potential to be groomed) is icing on the cake.

Classic overreaction thread.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is calling anyone busts quite yet. But let's be real here... Calvin Pryor and Jace Anaro will be the only guys that will getting playing time this year. Saunders might get some, but quite frankly he hasn't deserved it. He had his incident and hasn't been able to play, but when he has played, it's not like he's great. Depth guy really. Outside of those 3 everyone else will either get no pt, will be put on the ps or cut. So to have 3 guys out of 12 get any pt is pretty poor. McDougle and Evans could be good next year, but if we rely on them to be starters next year, we're in trouble. So it's not an overreaction before week 1. It's facts. 3/12 players will help this team this year, that's it. And that's bad.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we hit on our first 2 picks (Pryor and Amaro). I think McDougle will be a solid CB for us, whether it's in the nickel or the outside. Dozier will be our top backup at OG next season, and IK and George should be on the PS this year so they can be developed. I still have high hopes for Evans, even though he was a 4th rounder. Saunders gives us Kerley insurance in case we don't resign him.

Overall, it was a solid draft IMO. I won't say it's a bust or anything, but we did take a lot of developmental guys. Not all of them will become starters, but it was important for us to improve the depth of our reserves. We will see what happens, but I'm hopeful this draft will be another good one.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
mikejets22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heymangold wrote:
honestly, i don't think this draft was that great. i know it's only preseason but in reality other then Pryor and Amaro, there don't seem to be many starting caliber players from this draft.

Saunders isn't going to make a difference, no good news about Evans before his injury, Quincy hasn't shown anything but the ability to get injured, IK and Reilly have been decent but aren't anything more then 4-5th OLBs.

Dozier could be a decent guard but no real news about him. Boyd shouldn't even be put on the practice squad. George is a decent depth player but isn't going to be a starter.

Dixon will be a PS player for a couple years. All we can hope is that McDougle can come back next year and be a contributor.

All and all it's a pretty poor class.

I'm sorry, but the bold is INSANE. It's like an oxymoron. I'm not trying to be a jerk but saying "other than Pryor and Amaro" is not fair - two instant starters is pretty solid from a draft. The rest, their first season hasn't even started yet. It appears we have two starters already from this draft, which is very, very positive. The rest, who knows who can potentially develop? Antonio Allen was released, put on practice squad, and now we consider him a vital piece of our defense. Let's let these late round picks develop before we kill them. You're not going to see instant contributors in the fourth round and on. Just doesn't happen, they'd be first rounders if that were the case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I don't think anyone is calling anyone busts quite yet. But let's be real here... Calvin Pryor and Jace Anaro will be the only guys that will getting playing time this year. Saunders might get some, but quite frankly he hasn't deserved it. He had his incident and hasn't been able to play, but when he has played, it's not like he's great. Depth guy really. Outside of those 3 everyone else will either get no pt, will be put on the ps or cut. So to have 3 guys out of 12 get any pt is pretty poor. McDougle and Evans could be good next year, but if we rely on them to be starters next year, we're in trouble. So it's not an overreaction before week 1. It's facts. 3/12 players will help this team this year, that's it. And that's bad.

It could have been 5 or 6 of 12 if McDougle and Evans were healthy. How many guys drafted in the last three round realistically come in a play significant snaps their rookie season? I don't know where to get that answer but I'm pretty confident that it's extremely low.

Just having them become solid depth/special teams players is a good start because many of the late round guys are cut sooner rather than later. I think that IK, George, Dixon, Dozier and Enunwa all have that ability.

Edit: Go look at last years draft and pick out guys drafted 5th or later that played a huge roll on their team and actually played well. Not many, I noticed Stacy, Ellington and Bohannon (who wasn't even that great). RB and FB are the easiest positions to find later anyway.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idzik should have been trading up with those later picks to get solid players. What's better 2-3 good players with 2-3 key players as well or 2-3 good players and 9-10 roster fringe guys? Give me the 6 good/key players all day. We all know we could have gotten McDougle and Saunders later in the draft as well.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Idzik should have been trading up with those later picks to get solid players. What's better 2-3 good players with 2-3 key players as well or 2-3 good players and 9-10 roster fringe guys? Give me the 6 good/key players all day. We all know we could have gotten McDougle and Saunders later in the draft as well.

We do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: