Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bryce Petty
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoLewis57

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Bryce Petty Reply with quote

There will be a bunch of talk about him the next few weeks so let's put it all in here.

I for one love Bryce. The guy can really sling the rock and has an NFL body for a QB. His feet will provide some help to him if needed and it seems as though his head is starting to come along as well.
The thing he does that I love the most is he trows to spots. He is throwing guys open by leading them to the right part of the field. All good qbs can do this very well so it is exciting to see him doing this.
Now he still probably needs half a season or so to figure it out a bit more but if geno is gone and Petty steps in because of poor play by Fitz cough ( hard azz schedule) cough injury I'd be pretty stoked to see what he could do.

Let's hear it.
thebeyonder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bryce Petty Reply with quote

MoLewis57 wrote:
There will be a bunch of talk about him the next few weeks so let's put it all in here.

I for one love Bryce. The guy can really sling the rock and has an NFL body for a QB. His feet will provide some help to him if needed and it seems as though his head is starting to come along as well.
The thing he does that I love the most is he trows to spots. He is throwing guys open by leading them to the right part of the field. All good qbs can do this very well so it is exciting to see him doing this.
Now he still probably needs half a season or so to figure it out a bit more but if geno is gone and Petty steps in because of poor play by Fitz cough ( hard azz schedule) cough injury I'd be pretty stoked to see what he could do.

Let's hear it.

Honestly I'm not too excited from Petty throwing against vanilla defenses and 3rd strings. It's preseason and Petty is consistently the 3rd best QB in camp. Maybe he gets a chance this year if Geno fudges up and gets cut.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 4th round draft pick, I disnt and don't have high expectations for Petty. I absolutely hope he becomes a steal and a franchise qb, but I hope that with every qb we draft. The main thing that turned me off on Pwtty initially which doesn't make that much of a difference is his age (25). Meaning even if he becomes a starter next year (which IMO is still far fetched) he'd already be 26. No biggy if he's great bc he'd still have 5-10 years of good football, but it's hard to see that now.

Now to his actual skill set. The guy has the physical tools. Great arm, size and mobility. His issue was reading defenses coming from a 1 read offense at Baylor. He sat all last year and hopefully learned. It's still hard for me to see if he's a starting caliber player. He's only played against really 3rd stringers in any game action. Really his evaluation is 100% in the film room and in practice, which most of us don't have access to. The coaches are the only ones who know how close he is. But all this talk for him to be the backup would really mean he's close to starting. I'd never as a HC announce a qb as a backup unless he really is capable of starting. After all they are 1 snap at any given time to be the starter. We've seen Geno atleast play against starters. While inconsistent, there are flashes. I'd at this point think the coaches would be more comfortable with Geno as a backup rather then Petty. But at the end of the day it 100% comes down to how the coaching staff views Petty. We knew he was a project. Is just 1 year enough? Also Hackenberg sitting for a year and learning I think will be a better option at qb then petty regardless.
Abe56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much bigger fan of Petty than Hackenberg, which I still think was a huge mistake
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
As a 4th round draft pick, I disnt and don't have high expectations for Petty. I absolutely hope he becomes a steal and a franchise qb, but I hope that with every qb we draft. The main thing that turned me off on Pwtty initially which doesn't make that much of a difference is his age (25). Meaning even if he becomes a starter next year (which IMO is still far fetched) he'd already be 26. No biggy if he's great bc he'd still have 5-10 years of good football, but it's hard to see that now.

Almost every year we have QB questions, if I can get 5 years where I can confidently know who my starting QB is from a 4th round pick I'd say he was a steal. If we do strike gold then we have the NFL rules on our side which are allowing QBs to stay healthier and have longer careers. So 25 or 26 means nothing to me.

Hack is intriguing to me, I think this staff is going for high potential and development. I like it because that means we can focus on talent in the earlier rounds. While these guys sit on the bench the rest of the team knows they weren't just handed a job because he was a highly drafted QB they had to fight and claw like the rest of the team. That's respect that Sanchez and Geno never had the chance to earn.
Jets913

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Petty more than Hackenberg as of right now. I still think we should have taken Cody Whitehair in the 2nd. He would have plugged in as a starter immediately, got our OL younger and most likely better, and our QB situation would have been pretty much the same.
glenearl18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more confident in him if Geno gets cut. If Petty is the 3 heading into the season, that speaks volumes to how good he's been in practice and how the coaches feel about the prospect of needing him to pull out wins, Fitz being an injury waiting to happen and all.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petty is not ready. As most have stated already, he is playing against 3rd stringers. What I like, that the Jets are doing, is that they are DEVELOPING their young QB's. Petty admittedly has stated that he is still learning to identify what his protections should be. He said he can identify the defense and make the necessary adjustments when watching it on tape right now. But, during actual game time, he is not readily identifying what protections to call. Not until after he has made the mistake. That is not a bad thing.

It shows he is learning. It is simply part of the growth and development process that is necessary to becoming an NFL starting QB.

For the first time in a long time, the Jets are actually developing the young QB talent. You can not thrust these guys into the fire and hope for the best. 99% of the time they will fail. They will lose their confidence and develop bad habits. Next thing you know, they are a journeyman and out of the NFL.

I am rooting for Petty and Hackenberg. They booth have the physical tools. They need to now learn the mental aspect and continue to work on their fundamentals.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gut feeling is that Bryce will get his shot this season and will perform well. Hopefully Chan/Bowles will let him play the 2's next game to show it, but I don't have a reason to believe he's not ready. He's standing out against 3rd stringers, but he's also being protected by them and throwing to them. Why wouldn't he be able to do well with our starters?

Making great decisions , moving in the pocket well, and can make all the throws. I don't care much about his college system because RGIII came from the same system and was rookie of the year before the injuries. Derek Carr came from a system that was nothing but Bubble screens and a few deep passes, and he's been great since day 1. It's all about your IQ and ability to adapt. After last year's preseason, we dropped Flynn and Johnson after performing well and Kept Bryce as the #2 in the start of the season. When there was a chance for Fitz and Geno to miss a game (After oakland?) , we still didn't sign anyone. Coaches are confident in him. I'm rooting for this dude 100%.

I do want Geno to be traded, not just because of his performance, but he's taking up well needed reps from Bryce and Hack. Bryce need to build chemistry with the 2's and Hack need reps to continue learning. No way we should keep 4.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA
glenearl18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Gut feeling is that Bryce will get his shot this season and will perform well. Hopefully Chan/Bowles will let him play the 2's next game to show it, but I don't have a reason to believe he's not ready. He's standing out against 3rd stringers, but he's also being protected by them and throwing to them. Why wouldn't he be able to do well with our starters?

Making great decisions , moving in the pocket well, and can make all the throws. I don't care much about his college system because RGIII came from the same system and was rookie of the year before the injuries. Derek Carr came from a system that was nothing but Bubble screens and a few deep passes, and he's been great since day 1. It's all about your IQ and ability to adapt. After last year's preseason, we dropped Flynn and Johnson after performing well and Kept Bryce as the #2 in the start of the season. When there was a chance for Fitz and Geno to miss a game (After oakland?) , we still didn't sign anyone. Coaches are confident in him. I'm rooting for this dude 100%.

I do want Geno to be traded, not just because of his performance, but he's taking up well needed reps from Bryce and Hack. Bryce need to build chemistry with the 2's and Hack need reps to continue learning. No way we should keep 4.

Did you watch RG3 in his rookie year? Skins offense was read #1 or run. It's a myth that that dude was good before the injuries.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno won't be traded. Teams know we are going to move on and they will wait for us to cut him.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenearl18 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Did you watch RG3 in his rookie year? Skins offense was read #1 or run. It's a myth that that dude was good before the injuries.

So he get no credit for 27ts, 5ints, and over 65% completion? The point is he still performed well coming from the same type of college system that people are using as an excuse why Petty should sit for 3 years. BP could be ready this season if he used his time correctly.

Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: The definition of insanity.... Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
glenearl18 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

So he get no credit for 27ts, 5ints, and over 65% completion? The point is he still performed well coming from the same type of college system that people are using as an excuse why Petty should sit for 3 years. BP could be ready this season if he used his time correctly.

So, it worked out just fine for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith? We threw them into the fire as rookies. It is safe to say they are not well developed Quarterbacks at this point in their careers.

How about we try something different for the Jets. Let these guys sit and learn for more than a season.

If not, we are simply continuing the same doomed process over and over and getting the same crap results.
TheChad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Petty will still be #3 against the Giants.

Quote:
Head coach Todd Bowles wants Ryan Fitzpatrick to “play quite a bit” Saturday night and that means you can expect the first unit at least a half. While on Sunday Bowles was not revealing his QB plans, he did tell the media today that Geno Smith will enter the game when Fitzpatrick exits to the home sideline.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Bowles-Geno-Smith-Will-Be-No-2-vs-the-Giants/390a761a-81be-43dd-a30b-e69e923f0fac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and Geno didn't sit for a year like Bryce had a chance to. I never said he should have started last year. So it wouldn't be continuing the same process. Bryce would also be entering a better situation with our offense and surrounding vs what Geno came into. And I said " BP could be ready this season if he used his time correctly."

I'm explaining why he could possibly be ready at some point this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: