Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The International Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColumbusCrewzer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
ColumbusCrewzer wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
ColumbusCrewzer wrote:
AlexM23 wrote:
Just googled it and they actually downed New Caledonia 1-0. Laughing

Lol @ Oceania.

New Zealand lost to New Caledonia and Solomon Islands in the group stage.

To be fair, it was probably their reserve team.

Why would they take their reserve team?

Same reason any country would.

Guess who is the top goalscorer for Australia?

Wrong.

Archie Thompson?

Judging by their roster it is probably their full strength squad. I don't understand why you would take your reserves when you are playing for a berth in the Confederations Cup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they should seriously consider scrapping Oceania all together. Given the nations and their respective world rankings it's ridiculous that there's .5 of a WC birth still there. It's not ideal to have a huge Asian confed but really what other options are there? My only problem with merging Oceania and Asia is that geographically it's a bit odd to have all of those pacific nations under the same confederation stretching all the way to the gulf countries.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexM23 wrote:
Yeah, I think they should seriously consider scrapping Oceania all together. Given the nations and their respective world rankings it's ridiculous that there's .5 of a WC birth still there. It's not ideal to have a huge Asian confed but really what other options are there? My only problem with merging Oceania and Asia is that geographically it's a bit odd to have all of those pacific nations under the same confederation stretching all the way to the gulf countries.

Split the AFC?

East and West regions?

I agree asking Micronesian states to travel to Jordan would be ridiculous.

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was most of NZ's first team that lost to New Caledonia. They just played utter crap. Were missing Ryan Nelson and Winston Reid at the back as well as Dan Keat in the midfield, but apart from that mostly full strength.

The pitch was garbage, but so was NZ and their tactics. Trying to play long ball football against far inferior teams is infuriating.

They did beat the Solomon Islands int he 3rd/4th palce game 4-3 (After being up 3-0 and needing a 92nd minute winner), but that team had 9 starters that were 22 or younger.

1 - Oceania had the only undefeated team at the 2010 world cup.
2 - I have said for years NZ needs to move to the Asian Confederation. The way the Asian Qualifying works is perfect to absorb another 8 teams.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this for the likes of Tahiti the Solomons and New Caledonia. They have a lot of quick players and tend to play some good football.

I think they are hurt big time by the fact that they get no competitive football during the year (I think it hurts the entire Oceania region as it stands).

The results from NZ stem from the fact that they more than likely went into the game expecting to steamroll over them and took their opposition lightly and it cost them big time. That and the playing conditions were terrible. Temperatures were in the early 40's celcius for every game with near 100% humidity and the pitches were terrible. However as the cliche goes it was the same for both teams.

Biggest issue with folding Oceania and merging it into Asia is money. Tahiti and the like can barely afford to travel to play NZ in NZ let alone to play two legged games in the middle east.

NZ has potential, but we need to stop playing 3 at the back long ball football.

I hope we actually show some quality at the Olympics and we have a few solid young players coming through like Cameron Howieson who made his first team debut for Burnley this season at 17, and Tim Payne who is on the books at Blackburn.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Backspacer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt won a crucial WCQ match against Guinea yesterday with a typical Bob 90th minute winner
ColumbusCrewzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backspacer wrote:
Egypt won a crucial WCQ match against Guinea yesterday with a typical Bob 90th minute winner

Bob has been doing well but he hasn't really played anybody yet. Just a bunch of African minnows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia v Japan. Let's go boys!
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
AlexM23 wrote:

Split the AFC?

East and West regions?

I agree asking Micronesian states to travel to Jordan would be ridiculous.

The other option would be to merge the OFC and AFC, but have separate early rounds.

Instead of the OFC winner having a playoff against the CONCACAF 4th team, they'd have a pre-qualifying round and the top 1/2 countries would advance through to the final round of the AFC qualifiers.
AlexM23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game finished 1-1. Very entertaining match with a contrast of styles between Japan's technically gifted play and Australia's physical approach. Fair result though, would have been unfair for either team to lose this one.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I will say this for the likes of Tahiti the Solomons and New Caledonia. They have a lot of quick players and tend to play some good football.

I think they are hurt big time by the fact that they get no competitive football during the year (I think it hurts the entire Oceania region as it stands).

The results from NZ stem from the fact that they more than likely went into the game expecting to steamroll over them and took their opposition lightly and it cost them big time. That and the playing conditions were terrible. Temperatures were in the early 40's celcius for every game with near 100% humidity and the pitches were terrible. However as the cliche goes it was the same for both teams.

Biggest issue with folding Oceania and merging it into Asia is money. Tahiti and the like can barely afford to travel to play NZ in NZ let alone to play two legged games in the middle east.

I hope we actually show some quality at the Olympics and we have a few solid young players coming through like Cameron Howieson who made his first team debut for Burnley this season at 17, and Tim Payne who is on the books at Blackburn.

NZ should qualify. I'd be very surprised if they lose the playoff against the 4th best team from CONCACAF. Their playoff will be against somebody like Costa Rica or Honduras.
dotmotion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada v. Honduras today at BMO. A win would be huge. Honduras lost their home game against I think Panama. A 6 point advantage against the favourites will be just amazing for Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
khodder wrote:

The results from NZ stem from the fact that they more than likely went into the game expecting to steamroll over them and took their opposition lightly and it cost them big timer. That and the playing conditions were terrible. Temperatures were in the early 40's celcius for every game with near 100% humidity and the pitches were terrible. However as the cliche goes it was the same for both teams.

NZ should qualify. I'd be very surprised if they lose the playoff against the 4th best team from CONCACAF. Their playoff will be against somebody like Costa Rica or Honduras.
Costa Rica and Honduras would destroy New Zealand imo.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about destroy, but yes, I would say that they would beat them.

Adopt-A-Duck
Byron Marshall: 168 carries, 1038 yds, 14TDs, 13 rec, 155 yds
Thomas Tyner: 115 carries, 711 yds, 9TDs, 14 rec, 124 yds
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: 84 tackles, 9 PD, 3 INT
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
Not sure about destroy, but yes, I would say that they would beat them.
Yeah destroy was a bit much. I would think the two CONCACAF have much more talented squads though.

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 56 of 100

Jump to: