Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Aston Villa Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
EnglishLion20 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
LeeEvans wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Good win. We really needed that to create some space between us and the bottom, especially when we are going into a brutal schedule the next three weeks. Hopefully we can steal one of them.

Btw am I the only one who is a huge Benteke fan? I have been a huge fan of our signings especially him. We just need to stay up this season and correct the ship and we have a brighter future.

BTW it feels great to see MON lose
Why do Villa fans hate O'Neill now? I know he left right before the season but the guy was a miracle worker for Villa and just got tired of his best players being sold over and over when he was so close to CL football.

A lot of our problems now are due to the way MON handled the club. Then when we were faced with pretty bad financial situation because he took advantage of the club (sort of I am being a bit critical and bias here), then he abandoned ship a few days before the season.

MON wasn't the only problem, we shouldn't have given him such free reigns on the transfer policy and our moves after him were terrible for the club but he was definitely part of the problem. He gave terrible wages to players who sat on the reserve squad bench and refused to play youth players. Fans were alright with it because we were winning (myself included) but it eventually caught up with us and he ran when the club said to stop (which he could legally do, we gave him free reign over transfers in his contract). That's when fans turned on him

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Aston%20Villa

Here is a length but interesting view of Villa's business situation

Side rant: One thing that annoys me about some Villa fans is the way we view our ownership. Personally I think Lerner is one of the better owners in the EPL. He loves the club and invested a HUGE amount of money in the club and the community. We had Acorns a local children's hospital as our "sponsor" (they paid nothing or close to it) for a really long time. Recently he has cut back on the club and put real sponsors on our shirts but that's because he lost a huge amount of money under MON and our model wasn't sustainable without Champions League money. We have been rebuilding a more sustainable model. The fact that fans have turned on him and have virtually stopped going to games I feel as though is a bit disrespectful. There some legitimate reasons for turning, McLeish McLeish McLeish, but that was temporary and the overall way the club has been been very good and looks bright with Lampert.

EL and the other West Midlanders probably have a bit more insight than me but that is an American Villan take on the situation

Fans turned on O'Neill simply because of the way he left, he was under instructions for 12-18 months before he left to reduce the wage bill, a lot of the players he signed he gave too big a contract too, squad players were on 50k a week plus, and he wouldn't use them...MON stuck to a favored 11 and maybe made one or two changes from the bench during the match, but always the same ones, Heskey on Carew Off, Sidwell On, somebody else off etc, Villa had 200-250k a week just sat on the bench very often, nevermind the first team and they couldn't sustain it... that's after 3 years of fairly big spending in the transfer market for a team thats not challenging for the Title or in the CL.

His last year transfer wise he hardly spent as Lerner wouldn't give him funds until he got the wages in line....except MON couldnt, he couldnt sell the players he needed too, they wernt interested in leaving at the time a top 6 club, on such a big contract.

In the end, O'Neill kicked his dummy out the pram a few days before the season and left Villa in the lurch and the financial mess they was in, citing the fact he felt he couldnt take them to the next level as he wasent getting yet more money....truth is, he would have done once he got rid of the high earners especially the likes of Heskey, Carew, Sidwell, Beye, Salifou, Curtis Davies, NRC etc etc.

Basically O'Neill took his bat and ball home.

As for Villa fans and the Ownership. Truth is Villa was one of the big guns, its 5th all time in total points since the EPL began in 1992/1993 or was before this season started.

Fans want success, and unfortunately long term success is being bank rolled like City, they want their own sugar daddy if you like so they get back to fighting consistently for the CL places.

Under Lerner and Lambert Villa do have a bright future IMO, I rate Lambert as a manager and I honestly think Lerner will always back Lambert, maybe not the big signings but he will get 15-20 Million a year IMO. Its just Villa will never be more than a comfortable midtable club...and when fans are used to fighting in the top 6th as Villa have generally done or finished just outside, mid table mediocrity or comfortability (if thats even a word) lol...just isnt good enough, they want success and if Lerner hasent got that kind of cash, they want him to sell to somebody who does. Sad state of football really Villa have fallen back and fans dont want to accept it.

Add the fact Lerner has General Krulak with him, who majority of fans hate, he just isnt a football man, they also dont particularly like Paul Faulkner that much either makes it easier to dislike our ownership, thats my humble opinion anyway Smile

Way to respond a month later jerk Wink

But my interpretation is pretty similar to yours. Although I have no idea who General Krulak is, I mean I know he was a director of sorts but I have no idea why people don't like him. If I remember correctly, didn't he have a blog or did he post on hero and villains fanzine? I thought he was pretty open and fan friendly. Guess not.

EnglishLion20 wrote:
Basically O'Neill took his bat and ball home.

I thought that was an American saying because it was talking about baseball. Unless you guys use it in the context of cricket.

My mistake Krulak is a non executive director, he was in the media when we had McLeish saying we had to kick the crap out the opposition, fans dont mind him so much, except he has a military background....and persoanlly I believe we need more ''Footballing'' minds behind the secenes, not a 70 year old General lol, Even if he isnt hands on....

Faulkner is the guy that kind of irratates Fans a bit simply because he is seen as a puppet and a bit of a yes man, hes also been appointed by the FA to some board or something in the summer. hes the CEO of Villa and handles the day to day running of the club, its been said he should have kept the wages in line better during O'Neills reign, which we are still fighting back from. Seems to say all the right things to the media though.

I kept meaning to reply earlier, but with work and that, dont get enough time to come on and actually make a ''Proper'' post that much Wink

And yes we use that saying for Cricket, or in this case whenever somebody dosent get their own way lol although there is a lot of Baseball sayings which we use, ''Step up to the plate'' is another one even though we have no baseball, everybody seems to know what it means. Smile

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense is looking very promising. In the last 4 games, we've conceded 1 goal... and that's with Vlaar, Bennett and Enda missing time. Just need to find a way to score goals. Hopefully we sell Bent in January and buy a creative midfielder/winger. We're just a piece or two away from being a good team.

IrishGreen wrote:
buck comes thru in the clutch
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckrock101 wrote:
Defense is looking very promising. In the last 4 games, we've conceded 1 goal... and that's with Vlaar, Bennett and Enda missing time. Just need to find a way to score goals. Hopefully we sell Bent in January and buy a creative midfielder/winger. We're just a piece or two away from being a good team.

Over the past 6 games we have as many points as Chelsea Cool
Brit_Titan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I've only just found this thread!

The last few games have looked promising for the Villa. We need to find some goals quickly though, December is going to be painful otherwise.

UTV!

Made by me.

My Gallery
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit_Titan wrote:
I can't believe I've only just found this thread!

The last few games have looked promising for the Villa. We need to find some goals quickly though, December is going to be painful otherwise.

UTV!

We play some decent stuff at times, just need that end product, Should have beaten Stoke, but goals are always going to be the issue, Bent isnt happy, and Benteke isnt clinical IMO. Has great potential and a bright future, but as of right now he isnt a 20 goal a season hitman all teams need.

Hopefully with a few additions in January we can at least be in the group just above the relegation dogfight.

teamorange

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahead of Newcastle and 5pts clear of relegation, I dig it. First time in awhile the pressure has been lifted. Can't get complacent still a long road ahead.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Benteke also had a statement game. He basically said, "hold it Michu and Santi, get my name in there for new player of the season."
dotmotion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Paul Lambert.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also (my final post) it was great to hear our fans. Around the 20th-30th min I was thinking I thought we were the away team and then realized we were Cool

Definitely an encouraging sign.
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely phenomenal result. Brilliant all over the field today. Defenders did a great job taking care of Suarez/Sterling's attacks, and the front two were as clinical as I've seen this season.

I really like the setup we've got right now. Defense looks strong with the 5-3-2 look, and I love Fireman up front with Benteke, as opposed to being out wide. His speed is a perfect compliment just in behind the great one. Don't even think there'll be room for Gabby when he's fit again.

Everything starts at the back though. Clark, Baker and Herd are fantastic right now, and it should just get better when Vlaar comes back. I'd like to see Herd move out to Lowton's spot when that happens. He and Bennett/Stevens would be the optimum wing back pairing, imo.

IrishGreen wrote:
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this result gets Lerner to consider freeing up some money in January as well. I really like our depth right now (we could do with another solid forward though if Bent is sold), but what we really need is one class player in the midfield. Someone who can really create at the front of our mid 3 would make a huge difference for this team.

IrishGreen wrote:
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VILLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAA!

I could have gone to that game yesterday too, my mate had a spare ticket.

EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
VILLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAA!

Villa are usually poor away from home and Liverpool hardly light things up much these days....

As it turned out though, you missed a cracker Wink Well from the Villa point of view lol

texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishLion20 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
VILLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAA!

Villa are usually poor away from home and Liverpool hardly light things up much these days....

As it turned out though, you missed a cracker Wink Well from the Villa point of view lol

I was busy christmas shopping anyway for the trek from London to Liverpool and back.

Shame.. always enjoy chanting "Villa! Villa! Villa!"

EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckrock101 wrote:
Hope this result gets Lerner to consider freeing up some money in January as well. I really like our depth right now (we could do with another solid forward though if Bent is sold), but what we really need is one class player in the midfield. Someone who can really create at the front of our mid 3 would make a huge difference for this team.

Lambert has always said he aims to strengthen in January, whether that means he will get some more money after Lerner sold the Browns, or if he will sell Bent for funds, be interesting as January is difficult to strengthen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 48 of 71

Jump to: