Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Atlanta Braves Thread 20-13(Simmons is pretty good)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22808
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Atlanta Braves Thread 20-13(Simmons is pretty good) Reply with quote

Well not even a full season, and were through the thread. Let's keep the discussion going.
_________________

#JDI


Last edited by devils1854 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 50 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22808
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say Constanza cannot keep this up, but why not? I'm not saying he will keep a .400 avg, but .300 isn't out of the question. He has tons of speed. He is hitting 69% ground balls so far. If he can keep that over 50%, then he will continue to get on base because of his speed, and that's just where the fun starts with him. He can steal bases, he can go from first to third or home on singles. His value, just like Bourn, isn't in power, it's in their legs.
_________________

_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Quote:
You say Constanza cannot keep this up, but why not? I'm not saying he will keep a .400 avg, but .300 isn't out of the question. He has tons of speed. He is hitting 69% ground balls so far. If he can keep that over 50%, then he will continue to get on base because of his speed, and that's just where the fun starts with him. He can steal bases, he can go from first to third or home on singles. His value, just like Bourn, isn't in power, it's in their legs.
_________________


Oh. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that he sucked in the minor leagues for a long tim. It's not like he's a young guy who has struggled some in the minors, but finally put it together.

He's 27 years old. If Uggla is a proven major leaguer, this guy is a proven minor leaguer.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 6228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Quote:
You say Constanza cannot keep this up, but why not? I'm not saying he will keep a .400 avg, but .300 isn't out of the question. He has tons of speed. He is hitting 69% ground balls so far. If he can keep that over 50%, then he will continue to get on base because of his speed, and that's just where the fun starts with him. He can steal bases, he can go from first to third or home on singles. His value, just like Bourn, isn't in power, it's in their legs.
_________________


Oh. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that he sucked in the minor leagues for a long tim. It's not like he's a young guy who has struggled some in the minors, but finally put it together.

He's 27 years old. If Uggla is a proven major leaguer, this guy is a proven minor leaguer.


Its funny that you mention Dan Uggla, you do know his story right? Is no player allowed to come on late?

Even the last couple years of triple A Constanza has performed pretty well. Hes gotten the call and is showing he deserves to play. But because he doesnt have a huge amount of natural talent he shouldnt play no matter what he does?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dante9876


Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 21712
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 6228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22808
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
fraziafraze07 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Quote:
You say Constanza cannot keep this up, but why not? I'm not saying he will keep a .400 avg, but .300 isn't out of the question. He has tons of speed. He is hitting 69% ground balls so far. If he can keep that over 50%, then he will continue to get on base because of his speed, and that's just where the fun starts with him. He can steal bases, he can go from first to third or home on singles. His value, just like Bourn, isn't in power, it's in their legs.
_________________


Oh. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that he sucked in the minor leagues for a long tim. It's not like he's a young guy who has struggled some in the minors, but finally put it together.

He's 27 years old. If Uggla is a proven major leaguer, this guy is a proven minor leaguer.


Its funny that you mention Dan Uggla, you do know his story right? Is no player allowed to come on late?

Even the last couple years of triple A Constanza has performed pretty well. Hes gotten the call and is showing he deserves to play. But because he doesnt have a huge amount of natural talent he shouldnt play no matter what he does?


Also Constanza has a skill set that translates anywhere, and thats speed. If he were a power hitter, I would think differently. All COnstanza has to do is make contact, and he can get on base because of his speed. Its not like he is killing the ball right now either. He is making contact, and getting on. Thats all we need.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dante9876


Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 21712
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.


Yes EOF for one out would have been fine by me.Varvaro could have pitched the 8th if need be. If there is 2 guys on base I rather see one of our big guns come in. If there was no one on base I wouldnt have mind Varvro one bit. I wouldnt have mind Varvaro starting the inning either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


I personally would've left Beachy in, but you it's not a terrible idea to remove a pitcher who is going through the order for the 3rd time and just issued 2 walks.

We can squabble till our faces our blue over Heyward, Prado, and Constanza, but I think we can all agree that the biggest need this team has is a RH relief pitcher.

While it is Fredi's fault that the only RH reliever worth a damn is pigeonholed into the 9th inning when he could alternatively use a guy like Venters in the 9th on ocassion, it is not Fredi's fault that the rest of the bullpen is completely lacking for RHers. It's Wren's fault. It's not Fredi's job to construct the roster.

With Linebrink/Proctor/Varvaro/Martinez as the right side of the bullpen after Kimbrel, Fredi really doesn't have any good options.

Vizcaino really needs to be called up. We need the RH arm back there.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 6228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.


Yes EOF for one out would have been fine by me.Varvaro could have pitched the 8th if need be. If there is 2 guys on base I rather see one of our big guns come in. If there was no one on base I wouldnt have mind Varvro one bit. I wouldnt have mind Varvaro starting the inning either.


So you bring in EOF for one out even though he doesnt have the lefty/lefty matchup? Really? At what point do people stop blindly blaming Gonzalez and hold the players responsible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.


Yes EOF for one out would have been fine by me.Varvaro could have pitched the 8th if need be. If there is 2 guys on base I rather see one of our big guns come in. If there was no one on base I wouldnt have mind Varvro one bit. I wouldnt have mind Varvaro starting the inning either.


Agreed. Also, I don't see why O'Flaherty couldn't necessarily stay in for the next inning. Although, I don't remember when he was last used. He might be unavailable because he's pitched the past few games.

See my earlier post for the real solution to this problem.

EDIT: Nevermind. In comes EOF.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Wren also could have acquired a competent RH reliever at the trade deadline. There were a lot available.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dante9876


Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 21712
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.


Yes EOF for one out would have been fine by me.Varvaro could have pitched the 8th if need be. If there is 2 guys on base I rather see one of our big guns come in. If there was no one on base I wouldnt have mind Varvro one bit. I wouldnt have mind Varvaro starting the inning either.


So you bring in EOF for one out even though he doesnt have the lefty/lefty matchup? Really? At what point do people stop blindly blaming Gonzalez and hold the players responsible.


EOF, Venters, and Kimbrel are to darn good to worry about the righty vs lefty matchups. Sure it makes it easier but I trust EOF against righty or lefty 100x's over any of our RH relievers. I agree with Fraiz it isnt entirely Fredi's fault he is working with what he has but he could have went a different way there. If the tying run is at the plate and I have Kimbrel, Venters and EOF no way am I calling anybody else except them three out of the pen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 6228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
Nice move there Freddi. Outstanding.


What do you want him to do there? Beachy had obviously lost it so its either waste EOF for an out or depend on Varvaro who has been pretty good.


Yes EOF for one out would have been fine by me.Varvaro could have pitched the 8th if need be. If there is 2 guys on base I rather see one of our big guns come in. If there was no one on base I wouldnt have mind Varvro one bit. I wouldnt have mind Varvaro starting the inning either.


So you bring in EOF for one out even though he doesnt have the lefty/lefty matchup? Really? At what point do people stop blindly blaming Gonzalez and hold the players responsible.


EOF, Venters, and Kimbrel are to darn good to worry about the righty vs lefty matchups. Sure it makes it easier but I trust EOF against righty or lefty 100x's over any of our RH relievers. I agree with Fraiz it isnt entirely Fredi's fault he is working with what he has but he could have went a different way there. If the tying run is at the plate and I have Kimbrel, Venters and EOF no way am I calling anybody else except them three out of the pen.


Normally I agree that matchups dont matter with EOF but for one out, you can either use EOF or trust one of your righty relievers who get paid. Venters most likely pitches the 8th if EOF comes in so that why, at least in my opinion, Eric wouldnt continue.

I mean, guys get overused and its Fredis fault. We dont use guys and its Fredis fault. Hindsight is 20/20 but Varvaro has been good enough, although its a small sample size, that he can be counted on to get that out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9228
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOF is a magician. Or some kind of warlock. Whatever sounds cooler.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 1 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group