Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you play?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Do you play? Reply with quote

Alright fellas, I know we all love the game and follow it like mad, but was wondering how many of you play competitively? I myself just play casually for now, but when I eventually move for work, I'll be signing up to a team and getting games every week!

Also, some other questions here...

- What position do you play?
- What's your best attribute?
- Are you a power or finesse player?
- What boots do you wear?

Personally, I always used to be a striker because I was quick, but I've lost a step thanks to injuries. So I now sit in at CAM, allowing me to get forward still, but always have someone in front to do more sprinting. I think my range of passing is my best attribute. Close, through balls, chipped, long balls etc, which also means I'm a lot more of a finesse player.

I need new boots, but I'm currently wearing some old Nike Mercurials in a Volt green and grey colourway (because I love Nike).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played GK from youth levels through high school.. I was a fat kid until after high school, so naturally I kind of gravitated there as the most logical place to be on the field, as a result my footwork/technique is poor and there's no way I could play in the outfield, or even GK at a competitive level as nowadays it's pretty important for keepers to be decent enough on the ball and in their distribution.

More recently into my late 20's I've played indoor in a team with some friends made up mainly of former college players. It was a bit rough getting back into the swing of things but it was a good time and gave me a chance to operate a bit as a sweeper/keeper since in indoor, like Futsal, that's expected. It was a competitive league but the difference in skill between our side and the others was to the point that it got a bit old winning 7-0, 8-1 every game, but fun nonetheless.

My best attribute was always shot-stopping (typical answer for a keeper) and committing to 1v1's - also since the GK penalty area is small in indoor soccer, handballs outside of the area were kind of common.. I was always good at acting as if I didn't handle the ball, which I did quite often, so that the ref would ignore the complaints of the attackers standing around me.

I was more of a finesse player at first but became more adept at commanding my area over time.

I have 2 sets of boots for regular footy: an old pair of white with red Nike Tiempo's which were the most comfortable imo, and a pair of black with Orange AdiPure's which I loved the colors on (matched our team shirts) but I never found them to be overly comfortable.. For indoor though I just wore a pair of Adidas Samba Classic's for turf.. I wasn't running around a ton so they worked and I wanted to get something on the cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my most embarrassing moments in any type (indoor of full field) would be getting scored on directly from a corner.. very deflating and your teammates just walk away with their heads down.

I was sent off once in indoor when an attackers dribbled around my on a 1v1 after I went to ground, so I reached behind myself blindly and grabbed whatever I could hoping to get a piece of the ball. I didn't and ended up yanking him to the ground face first (he didn't score though - and the guy who took my gloves saved the penalty, which are pretty rare in indoor)

Also had a couple of own goals when I started playing again from failing to control back passes.. whenever a GK makes a mistake on TV I basically just say 'yeah I remember the time I did that'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in goal last weekend when me and a few guys had a game, had a Joe Hart moment when the ball came back to me, bobbled as I swung my foot through and it went straight past me into the goal. Man that was embarrassing.

However, most embarrassing moment definitely came in a school game in my last year of high school. I set off on a run through the middle, call for the long ball and continue my run. I turn and look back and up to see where the ball was, got blinded by the sun, and the next thing I know, I'm on my face as the ball has hit me on the back of my head knocking me off balance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't played proper 11-a-side in over a year, when I did it was either FB or DM as I'm decent on the ball and pretty good at passing or crossing but can't run to save myself. For 6's I play up front or in goal, least running and I can finish or stop shots well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played competitively youth through high school as a Midfielder all spots, or a Fullback left or right. I always had way more fun picking nice passes/setting people up than scoring goals.

Recently I organize a rag tag groups of friends(co-ed) to play about twice a month, I usually get about 10 of us sometimes more, and we play small 4v4 5v5 6v6 games with goals I built and such.

Out of the core group of people I'm the only guy that played competitively (a few of the girls did) every once in a while we will have a ringer friend that did play so it spices it up.

But for the most part I, while not great, am still leaps and bounds better than the lot, so I just play alot of defense, pick passes, and let them have fun. Since we've actually played about twice sometimes three times a month for the past 5-6 months, I've actually seen alot of growth in the group and it's pretty cool. I had a sick give and go with a friend of mine and it was one of my favorite goals I assisted on ever. We get some intense moments but for the most part everyone is supportive and we have fun applaud both sides.

I want to soon start coaching youth soccer but my work schedule doesn't allow it, so it's been kinda nice seeing their improvements.

Last edited by RaykwonDaChef on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and two answer the rest of the questions.

- Best Attributes are field awareness and defense.

- I would say I'm a finesse player, however my best physical trait is my balance, so while I'm not very big, I hardly ever get pushed over and it catches people off guard.

- Addidas F10's

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
I went in goal last weekend when me and a few guys had a game, had a Joe Hart moment when the ball came back to me, bobbled as I swung my foot through and it went straight past me into the goal. Man that was embarrassing.

With the type of games we play we don't really have goalies, but with me mostly being defense there's often times where Im the only person in front of goal.

Last week the shot attempt/cross against me he muffed up and it kinda just bounced, but it was going across goal, I swung and wiffed, it bounced off my plant leg and in. I hardly ever get upset, but I killed a cone that day...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played competitively in about 10 years but I've played in an indoor league every winter for the past 5 years. So far we've managed to beat 3 university club teams so we're pretty jazzed about that. In 11v11 games I usually play on the wing or somewhere in the central midfield. My style of play is a little bit too slow to play further up in indoor though and we have a few guys who play incredibly quick so we just play them up and I usually settle back into a more defend and distribute role.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played all through my youth and into high school. Don't play as much as I used to since I graduated. I was a keeper. I wasn't the tallest so that was probably my main weakness and diving to my left side. I always thought my biggest strength was 1v1. I could cut down the angles really well and wasn't afraid to take out the opposing player. As for boots I really couldn't care less. I always thought any pair would do and didn't need the newest flashiest pair of Nikes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "competitive" the league I play in most people are just dicking around to have fun, there is one or two serious teams but everyone else just laughs at them.

When I play I usually play FB or striker. My best attribute is speed and timing. I never played soccer growing up so my technical skills are really lacking but I have always been a good athlete so that kinda carries me right now. I played football for almost 10 years so I translated my CB skills to fullback and usually just do quick gives and goes up the field. I like to play striker because I am pretty good about timing things and watching defenders for when they get lapse although when I do receive it I look like Gervinho out there.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
defenders for when they get lapse although when I do receive it I look like Gervinho out there.

Can't use lacking technical skill and gervinho in the same description my good sir.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaykwonDaChef wrote:
teamorange wrote:
defenders for when they get lapse although when I do receive it I look like Gervinho out there.

Can't use lacking technical skill and gervinho in the same description my good sir.

That and clinical ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played all my life up through college. Always LM/CM or occasionally ST.

My best attributes were always passing, playmaking and free kicks.

My "pro comparison" was always David Beckham.

I always wore Nike cleats; mainly the Total 90 series.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play mainly indoor now and usually a more "beer league" type of thing. Same with teamorange, there is usually a team of try hards that kind of pisses everyone off. I play outdoor some times but football was never really my sport so it is only when my friend's team is down a player and needs a body that doesn't absolutely suck. I play a DM/CM role in outdoor. An okay passer but I can run and have good positional awareness. Indoor, I am usually attacking mainly because we play in a league that require girls and we dont have enough girls to properly rotate so the girls stick on defense to conserve energy. Our girls are actually quite good for the league so it sucks that they can't join us in attack as much as we want to. I have new Adidas Predators for indoor and some really crappy old Adidas for outdoor because I rarely use them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: