Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tips for a new soccer coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Tips for a new soccer coach Reply with quote

Hey y'all. I don't venture here too often, but I thought I would seek some advice.

This is my first time coaching soccer (first time my son is old enough), and the team has eight 4 year olds. We've had two practices so far, and have done some very basic dribbling games like sharks and minnows.

I'm really looking for anyone that has experience with very young soccer players and some other fun games/drills to keep them engaged. I've avoided forming lines so far and tried to get everyone involved.

Thanks in advance!

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
teamorange

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure everyone plays every position.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the orange slices and capri suns.

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are great

Josh Ritter wrote:
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Don't Worry about stretching
- They need to just spend as much time with the ball as possible
- Pretty much everything is about the individual at this stage. (Ie: You learn to play the gutair solo before you learn to play within the band)
- Have to make everything as fun as possible
- Be careful with what you say, as they are easily discouraged.

Don't try to force them into team activities, as they won't really care to much at that age...

Work on motor skills and balance, drills without the ball and such to get there coordination and balance going.

The most successful youth coaches could have a winless record.

In the games probably do want to vary them around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I have done a lot of work to make sure that they always have a ball. One tip I got that actually works really well is to have them practice with a tennis ball for the first 5 minutes or so while kids are still showing up. They can't just boot the ball and go chase it, and it keeps them very focused.

A couple of the kids have trouble using the inside of the foot and frequently turn to use the outside of the foot instead because of their lack of coordination at this stage. Any tips there?

Josh Ritter wrote:
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean kicking? Or dribbling. You actually end up dribbling mostly with the outside of your foot...well more top part.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaykwonDaChef wrote:
- Pretty much everything is about the individual at this stage. (Ie: You learn to play the gutair solo before you learn to play within the band)

Don't try to force them into team activities, as they won't really care to much at that age...

Work on motor skills and balance, drills without the ball and such to get there coordination and balance going.

I kinda disagree with your point about stretching. The kids will likely not get injured but I built up a lot of bad habits of not warming/stretching and it hurt me later on in life. It probably isn't vital for the kids now but it is a good life lesson

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recommended it since they are 4 year olds. I would suggest to the parents to teach them some of those for now. The 15 minutes could be better used with the ball or in another sided game.

Most kids start needing to stretch closer to 10-13. So you could easily instill those good habits staring at u-8 or 9 whatever it is there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking in general. Trying to teach them not to kick with their toe. Again, at 4 (some just turned 4) they lack coordination, so I am trying to figure out how to get them to understand how to turn their feet to kick the ball.

Josh Ritter wrote:
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: S Reply with quote

It will take time. Kicking with the toe is as far as foot posistion is concerned pretty natural. So you are trying to break their nature. Youd have the same results with teenagers that never tried to play soccer before too. The kids at that age arent even really trying to kick the ball they are just running to it. They don't think very much about the whole process.

Calling out kids who are doing positive things are good, it makes that kid happy and makes the other kids want to do things right so they get their named called.

Getting them to step a little close to the ball when they kick (their plant foot) would lead to some more lace kicking.

Also instead of teaching them to kick infront of a open field where they just wanna blast it. A decent distance from a wall could get them to practice better placement and not focus on power cause they don't want it to go back at them. Trying to hit a target on the wall (needing to provide lift) and such could be used at a more advanced stage.

US Soccer federation has coaching liscences just like any other FA. You can get the f liscences for like 25 bucks and it online courses and videos and gives you some resources.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'll look into it. Thanks again!

Josh Ritter wrote:
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaykwonDaChef wrote:

The bolded really are the important ones given the age level. They're young enough that winning and losing kind of rolls right off their backs and even if they don't like the idea of losing, they forget about it pretty quick.

When I was coaching local youth soccer whilst earning my teaching credential (this was a while ago... before I was married and had kids of my own), I had U-13's and they were at that level where winning started to become the really important thing to them, which made it a bit easier to stress conditioning (parents didn't always like or agree with this - "my son signed up to play soccer, not to just run," and so forth), but at that age and skill level, simply being able to play at a high-tempo for long periods of time without getting winded went a long way to staying competitive. I had the benefit of two fathers as assistant coaches on my team too, so I could work different position groups separately at different points too.

But at the level you'll be working with, just getting them to enjoy themselves and letting their bodies develop the necessary motor-memory skills is what's going to serve them best. And all the same, you're still largely going to end up (on both sides) with jungle ball, where the majority of the kids just chase the ball around in a cluster, except for the one kid who decides he'd rather just stand around picking his nose and staring up at the clouds.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Good to know I'm on the right path then. I have another parent coaching with me that played semi-pro in Mexico, but he's never worked with kids this young, and I haven't played organized soccer since middle school.

Josh Ritter wrote:
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odds are you don't have the next Messi, in your lot...if you did you would already know.

Just make sure they have fun, give them as much time with the ball as possible, and don't worry to much on game day - just make ere they don't do anything that would hurt other kids and you'll have a successful season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: