Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Song Of Ice And Fire Thread (READ PG 1 !!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packman Luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books are almost always "better," it has very little to do with creative ability of the people making the show IMO. I do agree that people who say they don't want to read because of spoilers are fools. Not wanting to read because of time seems like an acceptable excuse to me though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books are almost always better because they go into so much more depth and have no limitations. To accurately portray everything in the book each season would be 30-35 episodes and would cost a billion dollars to make.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Greg_Jennings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packman Luke wrote:
Books are almost always "better," it has very little to do with creative ability of the people making the show IMO. I do agree that people who say they don't want to read because of spoilers are fools. Not wanting to read because of time seems like an acceptable excuse to me though.

I think the show is perfect the way it is. If it tried to include as much detail as the books, it would be a watered down mess. HBO's Game of Thrones focuses more on the characters than what's going on around them, imo. Novels have the luxury of being able to talk about pretty much anything at any time.

In the end, it wasn't guns or bombs that defeated the aliens. It was the humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Isn't the book a lot better than the TV show Ruskie? Not to knock the TV show cause it does a pretty good job but the books give you a much more full picture.
It warms my heart to see the show viewers loving the books Laughing

I admit I can be kind of an elitist nerd when it comes to the books vs. the show. People ask me about stuff all the time and Im like just read the damn books already! Laughing
samgurl775

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Isn't the book a lot better than the TV show Ruskie? Not to knock the TV show cause it does a pretty good job but the books give you a much more full picture.
I admit I can be kind of an elitist nerd when it comes to the books vs. the show. People ask me about stuff all the time and Im like just read the damn books already! Laughing
Don't worry I'm the same way Laughing As we've discussed before, I just hate the little changes, especially when it alters a characters personality - like Jaime killing his cousin was really frustrating because that's something his book character would never do. Also my mom is kind of into the series, and when I mentioned how Theon is one of my favorite characters, she said she hated him "especially after he killed Ser Rodrik". To which I of course pointed out Theon doesn't kill Rodrik in the books. It's those types of changes that influence what a person thinks of character that get to me the most.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
Greg_Jennings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Don't worry I'm the same way Laughing As we've discussed before, I just hate the little changes, especially when it alters a characters personality - like Jaime killing his cousin was really frustrating because that's something his book character would never do. Also my mom is kind of into the series, and when I mentioned how Theon is one of my favorite characters, she said she hated him "especially after he killed Ser Rodrik". To which I of course pointed out Theon doesn't kill Rodrik in the books. It's those types of changes that influence what a person thinks of character that get to me the most.

A lot of those changes don't effect the character that much in my eyes. Did Theon kill Rodrik in the books? No. But the situation in which the show presented was very believable. I think book Theon would have done the same thing, its just that it didn't happen that way.

The Jaime thing was a little dumber, I'll give you that. But I think the show is going to make up for it by using it to allow a greater character change next season.

In the end, it wasn't guns or bombs that defeated the aliens. It was the humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
samgurl775

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg_Jennings wrote:
A lot of those changes don't effect the character that much in my eyes. Did Theon kill Rodrik in the books? No. But the situation in which the show presented was very believable. I think book Theon would have done the same thing, its just that it didn't happen that way.

The Jaime thing was a little dumber, I'll give you that. But I think the show is going to make up for it by using it to allow a greater character change next season.
They've got a lot of work to with Jaime Laughing I honestly feel like show Jaime has no redeemable qualities, and killing his cousin just made him that much worse (especially because I don't see why it was necessary, would telling his cousin to play dead really have been that difficult?).

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
Greg_Jennings wrote:

They've got a lot of work to with Jaime Laughing I honestly feel like show Jaime has no redeemable qualities, and killing his cousin just made him that much worse (especially because I don't see why it was necessary, would telling his cousin to play dead really have been that difficult?).

His amazing hair isn't a redeemable quality?

I'm not as bothered by Theon killing Rodrik though. I'm not convinced book Theon would have done it, but it did a better job of show casing his descent and later on when the talks to Maester Luwin, the beginning of his redemption. Jaime killing Alton was just so out of place.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Last edited by skywindO2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
samgurl775

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Greg_Jennings wrote:

It's not even golden blonde like in the books Sad

Troy Brown wrote:
Greg_Jennings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Greg_Jennings wrote:

Well if you want it like the books, he shaves his head.

Hard truths cut both ways, Ser Davos.

Packman Luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:

Didn't Theon kill Mikken? Either way, I agree with GJ that the situation seemed appropriate justification for Theon's character to do what he did, didn't change my understanding of him.

Jaime is the most notable character change, and I thought he was a jerk in the books prior to losing his hand, so the fact that he's just a bit more of a jerk in the show isn't an issue for me. It's still an enjoyable character, and until they screw up his arc I don't see any reason to freak out about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Greg_Jennings wrote:

I think his hair looks great....

reading third book currently. Sansa just got married to the Imp Shocked

I didn't see that coming.

I try to not like the Lanisters asI see them as the bad guys but it's hard not to.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packman Luke wrote:
Didn't Theon kill Mikken?

That or the Kennel Master.

Sansa and Tyrion's marriage is funny.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Greg_Jennings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

One thing I was wondering about that plan, was, if it had worked out, and the two had children and ruled Winterfell, would those kids be Starks or Lannisters? I'd assume Lannister, in which case, what good is Sansa's claim anyways?

I guess it bugs me that there can never be any more true Starks, unless Bran or Rickon somehow end up Lord of Winterfell.

skywindO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg_Jennings wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

One thing I was wondering about that plan, was, if it had worked out, and the two had children and ruled Winterfell, would those kids be Starks or Lannisters? I'd assume Lannister, in which case, what good is Sansa's claim anyways?

I guess it bugs me that there can never be any more true Starks, unless Bran or Rickon somehow end up Lord of Winterfell.

Sansa would still have the claim regardless her last name, wouldn't she? I don't see how getting married would weaken her claim at least. Women marrying above them because of the claim they have seems to be a pretty common thing anyway.

Thinking about the Tyrion/Sansa wedding reminds me of how Joffrey was more infuriating than usual in SoS.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 77 of 100

Jump to: