Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A few observations for the “How could they trade Moss” crow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacknine99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: A few observations for the “How could they trade Moss” crow Reply with quote

A few observations for the “How could they trade Moss” crowd:

1. Viking record last 4 seasons with Moss: under .500
2. Of all sports, football is by far the most “team sport”, where unity and cohesion matters. Moss had become a disruption in the locker room and by requiring special rules because of his superstar status, undermined Tices ability to enforce overall team discipline.
3. Superbowls are not won with superstar receivers, but with, at minimum, a good defense. (If in doubt, name the Patriots superstar receiver or recall the Eagles without TO spanking the Vikings with Moss)
4. A receiving corps. ie. 3 starters more than good enough to win a Superbowl, can be paid with Moss’s $9 Mill a year, leaving more for defense.
5. The necessity to throw deep a number of times in each game, significantly detracted from developing the diverse offensive game that the Vikings have the personnel for.

Dont confuse great film high lights of spectacular catches with playing winning football, especiall playoff football.

If, granted a big if considering the Vikings past blunders, they execute the draft and free agency in a competent manner, this will be a far better team next year.

It would go something like this: Pick defense with both first round picks, not a receiver. Far better quality/value/choice in WR in free agency. Trade Bennett (preferably) or Smith for starter at corner or safety, depending on the draft choices. Pick up one more defensive starter in FA and they are still well under the cap this year and in even better shape beyond.

2005 Vikings outlook: Small reduction in points scored, but longer time of possession, resulting in fewer opponent possessions. With fewer wasted downs, improved running game.

With 5 new starters (incl Harris) and much better backups, defense becomes respectable to good. Aside from coaching, they will be as good as the Eagles and better than the Falcons. Still couldn’t beat the Pats or Steelers, but the best Viking team since the late 90’s.
T0wer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put, I agree completely.
UtBDan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. 85% of the people here are so damn negative about it, but it's like...

they sign a wide reciever in free agency, then draft a defensive starter. How is this not going to work out... ?

Yes, Harris was stupid (a linebacker... and one that is not really an experienced veteran nor a definitive starter.) I hope he has another 100 tackle season though. He had one in his 2nd year, and probably woulda had one this year if he had been healthy the whole time. So I guess even that's not as bad as a lot of people are making it seem.

This all depends on who we sign in free agency though. It IS nice to get a problem gone either way.
Vikings fan.
Alobar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont really see why all of the other vikings fans are running around like the damn sky is falling....look...yes he is the best in the game, yes maybe we didnt get quite enough for him, and yes, i will miss him and his antics, circus catches, and his great one liners...he will always be one of my favorite vikings of all time....however....he was a problem in the locker room for the vikings....i dont think anyone outside of the team realized how big of a problem it really was....when you get your quarterback, your best friend on the team, to say "...maybe enough is enough..." you know there was a whole lot more there than the team was willing to let on when he was in minnesota...now, its not to say that he will go to the raiders and be a distraction, he could be a team leader and have outstanding rapport with his teammates; in fact i would not be suprised if he puts up similar numbers (that is if the raiders can get a running back)....but he needed to leave minnesota....when your franchise player has lost youre two emotional leaders' (culpepper and birk) support, and the head coach cant control him, its time to part ways

plus, now the vikes can use the 7th pick for more defensive help, which we really need (johnson? rolle? pac man? cody? merriman?) and add a rookie receiver (clayton? williamson?) to go along with burleson and robinson with the 18th pick

vikes fans, its not the end of the world, just remember this: smart quarterbacks, good ground games, and defense wins championships....weve got 2 out of 3, and working on the 3rd.....
Alobar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there ya go dan Very Happy
common cents

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scenario 1: you have harris at olb, the seventh pick, the 18th pick, 34 mil. in cap space, and no moss...

team needs....dt, cb, wr, fs, k, lb still need a vet, g.

scenario 2: you have moss, the 18th pick, and 30mil. in cap space.

team needs....dt, cb, lb we still need a vet, fs, k, g.

someone please enlighten me...when you trade a player in the off-season aren't you supposed to adress team needs not create more holes to fill. for all those who say the trade was great cause no we have so much cap space...what the hell we already had the most cap space in the league. yes we can make this trade work but no matter what yall say we seriously got jewed on this deal...harris is no better than claibourne and we were going to let him go cause the team felt they needed to improve at that position...so like i said the trade straight up value wise is bs...just red mcombs last attempt to screw us over.....
Alobar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you even read the first part of my post? i know you didnt address me particularly, but that is the real reason behind the trade
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what Nate burleson did when Moss was hurt..... He will do just fine without Moss and we have 34 million to go sign a FA wr.( I am hoping for Plaxico). I think we need to get rid of one or two of our RB because we have 4 capable starters (If you count Moore) and I think Bennet is a bum and we should get rid of him for whatever we can get.

We SHOULD take DJ or Rolle with the 7th overall pick because they are both playmakers and will be VERY good in the NFL. 18th pick we should get a DT to take over for Hovan. 2nd pick we need a saftey or Nugent the kicker from Ohio, cause the senior citizen we have now not even being able to kick the ball 40 yards is not cutting it.
Fartman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I don't see why people are so mad. We got decent value in the 7th pick, which we can use to get a reciever that doesn't think he is the second coming of God, or a defensive stud. Most of the good defensive free agents got franchised, so we had to do something. We can also go to a free agent such as Plaxico Burress to replace him. This trade will work out for the best. Vikings = SB in 05'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: