Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NEW 1 ROUND MOCK W/ EXPLANATIONS (NO TRADES)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you rate this mock?
A - Exceptional
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
B - Above Average
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
C - Average
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
D - I need help
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
F - I am a total idiot when it comes to football and the draft
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: NEW 1 ROUND MOCK W/ EXPLANATIONS (NO TRADES) Reply with quote

HOU: Reggie Bush, USC– If no tradeout here, they have to take him… he provides versatility all over the field (backfield w/ or w/o Davis, slot, KR/PR)… Ideally tradeout here though as RB slot is solid w/ Dom Davis, KR/PR Mathis is a pro-bowler and a slot receiver can be found in 2-3 rd / FA

NO: Matt Leinart, USC – He is the most NFL-ready QB in this draft… NO needs someone who can step in and succeed now and be the long-term solution. Matt is their guy.

TEN: Vince Young, Texas – I think Brick would be a better pick here as it fills a bigger IMMEDIATE need, but VY has too much upside to pass on w/ the #3 pick, and has a year or two to be groomed by McNair (assuming he restructures to stay)…

NYJ: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia – Jets take a guy who is as near a lock to be a pro-bowl mainstay LT as we have seen in the draft since Pace (other than maybe Gallery...)

GB: AJ Hawk, OSU – GB takes a LB who can step in and start from day 1 and who will be a leader on this defense that lacks any moxie for years to come (we Bears fans get a giant knot in their stomach)

OAK: Mario Williams, NC State –This pass rusher is a physical beast who will only get better as he further develops his technique in the NFL. At 6’7 running a 4.55 40, he is terrifying on the edge.

SF: Michael Huff, Texas – SF has many needs and would love to trade down here to get extra picks (Denver for 22/29?), but assuming they don’t, they take BPA here in Huff, who will be an immediate upgrade at either DC / S from the outset of camp.

BUF: Haloti Ngata, Oregon – I personally think he is overrated (just an opinion from a PAC-10 fan (go Sun Devils))… Buffalo’s D was retched last year after Spikes b/c none of the other LB’s could shed the blocks… Ngata will eat up 2 blockers on all inside runs allowing the LB’s to make more plays.

DET: Jimmy Williams, Va Tech – The Lions are hoping that Huff falls here, but if not they take Williams here to upgrade a suspect (being kind) DS. Williams has some character issues but his talent is undeniable, and the Lions have a serious lack of young talent in their secondary.

AZ: LenDale White, USC – The chants of ‘LenDale in Glendale’ don’t go unnoticed here… I personally think that the Cards should go OL here, but with their new stadium this year they need somebody to create a buzz to fill some seats (we don’t even get the home games on TV here), and you don’t get that w/ OL picks, a position that can be upgraded later in a deep OL draft or FA

STL: Chad Greenway, Iowa – the Rams are thrilled to have Greenway here if they can’t get Huff… while their secondary needs help (resigning Archuleta should be a priority) there are no DC here that are worth the #11 pick… Greenway will make in immediate impact in a poor defense that could use a presence in the middle

CLE: Manny Lawson, NC State – This pick will make a lot more sense after the combine, where I think Lawson is sure to showcase the blazing DE / OLB (3-4) speed he used to dominate at NC State. He is a little small for DE in Crennel’s system, but will be a Greg Lloyd type in this 3-4 and should make an immediate impact

BAL: Tamba Hali, PSU – OT and WR are their most pressing needs (assuming they resign J Lewis), but there isn’t one that I think they would value at #13, so they take Hali, a DE that fills another need here. Pass rush was a problem opposite T Suggs last year, and Hali is an immediate upgrade. Look for BAL to try to trade down here to acquire extra picks and address more needs (this is another team that would LOVE to swap w/ DEN’s 2 1st round picks)

PHI: Winston Justice, USC – He is a need pick/reach here, and has some character issues, but PHI needs a T to replace Runyan, who will likely leave via FA, and inject some youth into this line. They will need someone who can match up w/ the speed rushers in this division (Osi, Strahan, D Ware); Justice is a converted TE who has the agility to handle the speed rush and has experience against top-notch competition at USC

ATL: Ko Simpson, S. Carolina – If ATL could get Huff here, they would crap themselves, but they love Simpson here, who as a ball-hawking S should be named the starter immediately. He excelled against elite competition at S Carolina and will fill a huge void in the DS.

MIA: Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt – MIA would be shocked if Cutler fell to them at 16, so if he’s here they take him. Cutler’s intangibles (arm strength, moxie, leadership) remind critics of Brett Favre. While I think this is a little excessive (he could be the next K Boller, too), I think he is a solid pick and a huge upgrade to Feurotte. This, of course, could change w/ the pending free agency of Brees, Pennington (?)& Culpepper (?)

MIN: DeAngelo Williams, Memphis – MIN needs a back to bring back a solid, consistent running game the likes of which they haven’t seen since the retirement of Robert Smith. Williams can be that guy. He has proven to be a durable, tough back who can run behind a line that is far from a bunch of All-Americans (name 1 guy on the Memphis line). Maroney will also get some votes here as the local choice, but Williams is the more polished prospect.

DAL: Marcus McNeill, Auburn – Dallas’ O-line showed it needs a lot of help last year after Flozell went down… McNeill can provide immediate help at OT opposite Adams; a huge upgrade that will help both Bledsoe and J. Jones / Barber III

SD: Tye Hill, Clemson – SD has Q. Jammer, Florence & Sammy Davis in it’s defensive backfield, and none of the above has shown to be anything near worth the 1st round grade they received. Hill should push these guys for immediate playing time. Bing could be a reach here as well, but SD’s biggest need with their blitzing 3-4 is a cover corner… Enter Hill.

KC: Santonio Holmes, OSU - KC has been one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history for the past 4-5 years and has several superstars, but they are all aging along with an O-Line averaging 30+ in age. Holmes has the ability to be a #1 receiver; something this O has never had, and someone who can open things up for LJ and Gonzalez.

NE: Laurence Maroney, Minnesota – Corey Dillon showed last season that he is aging and can no longer be relied on to carry the load for the entire season, and is certainly not the long-term answer. NE could go CB here, but I like Maroney to fit in as a power between the tackles runner to grind out first downs, provide quality depth, and make Brady’s life easier. He is the last of the elite runners in this draft, and quality DB’s can be gotten in rd. 2.

DEN (via WAS): Vernon Davis, Maryland – Denver would get a great steal here if Vernon fell to them. He is an adequate enough blocker, but his ability to stretch the seam is something DEN hasn’t had since Shannon Sharpe. Adding Davis would be an immediate upgrade that would help an aging R. Smith and an inconsistent Lelie get more favorable coverage matchups.

TB: Leonard Pope, Georgia – This is my sleeper pick… Gruden likes a grinding running game with Cadillac complimented by PA passing. Pope provides an upgrade at TE for both. He is a monstrous blocker and has soft hands. A young QB like Simms needs a safety net to build confidence and consistency, and Pope can provide that for TB. (Btw they would address OL in Rd. 2 in this scenario)

CIN: Ashton Youboty, OSU - CIN needs a run-stuffing DT but that can be found in Rd. 2and there isn't one worthy of #24… Youboty would be an upgrade to a secondary that, although it produced a lot of takeaways last season, also allowed a lot of big plays. Youboty went against elite competition at OSU and was successful, plus practiced against S. Holmes for 3 years. Here he would be groomed as an aging Tory James’ eventual replacement.

NYG: DeMeco Ryans, Alabama – The Giants’ LB core was decimated late last season, which showed an extreme lack of depth on an already anemic unit. Ryans, although he lacks ideal speed, plays with great instincts and should be able to step in immediately next to Antonio Pierce and provide solid play for a team desperate for it at his position.

CHI: Antonio Cromartie, FSU – Most mocks have the Bears going TE here, but I feel that a quality receiving TE can be found in Rd. 2 (M. Lewis, Fasano). I am also assuming with this pick that the Bears sign Randle El in FA, which is the hot rumor… Cromartie is top-10 talent whose stock is down due to an ACL injury last summer. Reports show that his knee is nearly 100%, and if this is confirmed at the combine and accompanied with an impressive workout, the Bears would be crazy not to add a talent of his caliber to the weakest area of its defense.

CAR: Chad Jackson, Florida - CAR’s need for a solid #2 receiver was evident last season by the skew of receiving stats (S. Smith 103 catches, 2nd on team 25 catches), and SEA exposed it during the NFC Championship. Jackson is a freakishly talented WR who should be able to step in as the immediate #2 on this squad, allowing Colbert to go back to #3 where he is best suited. RB is also a need here, but they will get better value in Rd. 2 on a RB now that the Big 4 are gone.

JAX: Ernie Sims, FSU - JAX has a glaring need at OLB, and needs to add a solid playmaker in the middle of the field. Sims stood out on an outstanding FSU defense and his skills (primarily his speed) translate better to the NFL game than teammate LB AJ Nicholson, and without the character baggage. I think Sims would be a quality addition to a hometown team in Jacksonville.

DEN: Mathias Kiwanuka, BC – 3 weeks ago (i.e. before the Senior Bowl) Kiwi was viewed as a top-15 pick, but a poor showing against D'Brick has him falling to DEN here, who in spite of a Cleveland DL transplant, can use a pass rusher as T. Pryce is nearing the end of his career. Kiwanuka showed top-level talent at BC and, if he is half as good as he was there in the NFL, he will be an absolute steal at #29.

IND: Bobby Carpenter, OSU – With Cato June likely to depart via free agency, IND will be left with a glaring hole in their LB corps. Carpenter is a player who has the speed and awareness to flourish in Dungy’s Cover 2, and has received a great deal of recognition for an LB in the same lineup as AJ Hawk, which I feel is a huge compliment. I think he stays close to home here as Indy’s pick.

SEA: Darnell Bing, USC – With the uncertainty surrounding the return of Ken Hamlin, I like the Seahawks to go after Bing here. He is a flat out stud in the secondary and a fierce hitter. He was a playmaker among playmakers at USC, and teaming him w/ Boulware will allow Boulware to drop into the box more where can improve SEA's run defense (he was a LB in college)

PIT: Sinorice Moss, Miami – PIT is likely to lose Randle El in FA, and on a team without a lot of great needs, Moss fills 2 holes left by Antwaan’s departure (WR, PR). He has incredible speed (rumors are he may run sub-4.3 at the combine), and he will provide PIT with the deep threat they would be losing w/ Randle El’s departure.

Okay, that's it. FIRE AWAY!!!!

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
bleans188

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty good mock, and great explanations
Iggles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer Vernon Davis to Justice, but it's overall pretty good.
TTitanFAN32

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great Tennessee pick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like McNeil for the Cowboys. If they do take him it will be a Canty type situation where they see him fall with health concerns and take him in the 3rd. Otherwise I like the cards pick. Overall not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Vikings pick. I like the explanations as well
eagles91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good eagles pick.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting pick with Sims, but I like it.
ChiTownsFinest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect bears pick
DerrickJohnson#11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutley terrible bucs pick we wont look for a TE probly until the 4th or 5th round. We have Anthony Becht who is a great run blocker and Alex Smith who is a good and young TE for the bucs. We need a LB or O line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB isnt one of San Diego's first round needs. Safety and OT are. Jon Scott or Bing would be better than Hill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: