Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Welcome to San Diego Jason Verrett!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Welcome to San Diego Jason Verrett!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Not a huge surprise pick, but awesome tape, and a very solid CB, something that we needed. Outplays his height, and just wins, despite size and stature. Welcome to SD Mr. Verrett

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the fact that he is smaller but we need guys with this kind of talent. I was kinda rooting for this pick. I just hope he can play against the big receivers ok.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me too much of Sammie Davis. I'm not happy.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

How so? Sammy Davis had terrible feet and mediocre hips. Verrett has the best of both in this draft class.
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than size this kid looks like a great prospect. And he is very physical, I like that in a corner.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
I hate the fact that he is smaller but we need guys with this kind of talent. I was kinda rooting for this pick. I just hope he can play against the big receivers ok.

I'm going to make this argument and you can take it or leave it. But Verrett, technique, and production, wise, is the best CB in the draft. He showed his athleticism, physicality and vert to go up with the bigger receivers. Within the scheme where he's asked to read and react to things in front of him and break quickly on what he sees. But we also play a fair amount of press bail, which Verrett plays really well.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Other than size this kid looks like a great prospect. And he is very physical, I like that in a corner.

Size is overrated when the guy has comparable metrics to the big guys. Justin Gilbert (you know, "most athletic corner in the draft" Gilbert) is 4" taller with 2 1/2" longer arms and yet Verrett out high-pointed him on the vertical jump by 4 inches.

Meanwhile, a guy who is actually a shade shorter than Verrett, Brent Grimes, matched up against the likes of AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, Julio Jones, and Vincent Jackson and didn't surrender a touchdown on the season.

Height for DB's is overrated if, like Verrett, they've shown they're capable of playing bigger than they actually are.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, i love that Telesco seems able to overlook whatever other specifics other teams are focusing on, and height/weight/athelticism and just look at the tape and how good they are on the field. Thats something thats going to get us solid players all throughout the draft...

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guys are right about him playing bigger than his listed height. There's a huge need for a guy that can play the outside.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
sanitizer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick. Not a surprise by any means but if you look at any corner back in this draft you can find negatives. The only negative with Verrett is his size, and realistically is that a negative? Add 2 inches this guy is the #1 corner in this draft and it isn't even close. Watch the tape and tell me size is an issue.

On a side note I love we got CB out of the way day 1. Day 2 leaves us with plenty of positional options, but I;m looking for a Van Noy, Attaoachu, Lawrence with our first pick tomorrow.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Honestly, i love that Telesco seems able to overlook whatever other specifics other teams are focusing on, and height/weight/athelticism and just look at the tape and how good they are on the field. Thats something thats going to get us solid players all throughout the draft...

Oddly enough, the dude that was all bluster and ego at Bolttalk, now that he's calmed down some and I've had a chance to talk to him, actually knows his stuff fairly well. He's going to have some opinions that differ from others' (yours, mine, whoever's) but he has at least solid reasoning for disagreeing not just "LOL, he sucks," save for like one or two guys and even then, it just takes a little coaxing to get a more detailed position out of him.

But I do agree with him that we're likely looking at two different scenarios depending on how the Top 12 or so picks shake out tomorrow:

1) If a Joel Bitonio or Kyle Van Noy (at this point, let's face it, he's Telesco's wet dream in terms of the "passionate, high energy, all-over-the-field" types that he gushes over) or possibly one or two others (though I don't think it's many) make it past certain benchmarks and we can package our 4th with our 2nd to move up and get them - I think he does it.

2) We sit tight and target an edge-rusher, because there should be at least 2 of good value that fit the mold he likes on the board at #52 (i.e. Demarcus Lawrence, Trent Murphy - he's value in the late 2nd, you've got to admit; Jeremiah Attoachu, Scott Crichton - bit rougher fit but certain could do it with further training).

I'd also say that TT having a love for passionate, high energy players gives upticks to the value of prospects like Weston Richburg, Brock Vereen, Shaquil Richardson, Taylor Hart (IMO), Dezmen Southward, Zack Kerr, Russell Bodine, Aaron Colvin, Prince Shembo, and is likely one of the reasons we're rumored to be so high on the likes of Ben Gardner and Corey Linsley.

I'd also say it means we've downgraded the likes of Aaron Lynch, Kareem Martin, Adrian Hubbard, Ethan Westbrooks, Cyril Richardson, Ego Ferguson, Daniel McCullers, Martavis Bryant, and Brandon Coleman.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

How so? Sammy Davis had terrible feet and mediocre hips. Verrett has the best of both in this draft class.

Draft position correlates to Davis' jersey number. How could you miss that?

The writing was all over with the way the pass rushers flew off the board in the first. I just hate first round corners, risky like a WR.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Draft position correlates to Davis' jersey number. How could you miss that?

The writing was all over with the way the pass rushers flew off the board in the first. I just hate first round corners, risky like a WR.
'

Maybe so, but I'm so glad TT opted for Verett over Roby. I love the way Verrett plays football and Darrell Green/Winfield/Grimes prove that height is not a prerequisite for a great CB. Should be interesting tracking Verrett's success to Roby considering they're in the same division now.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we've learned something from the new regime in developing corners. We have just been flat out terrible evaluating and implementing coverage for a very long time.

EverythingSF wrote:
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this pick. I thought y'all would get Van Noy or Roby tbh, but I like Verrett. He plays with great intensity and can probably cover really well out of the nickel. Obviously he lacks size and won't be covering big receivers or it will be a bad mismatch but hey thats a very great value pick. Good job TT! Now I just want to see DT vs Verrett..haaaa

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: