Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homeland (Showtime) ~ *Spoilers Inside*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinoynk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
Homeland is the best show on tv by far. EASILY

QFT. I've thought that Boardwalk Empire was the best for a while, but Homeland beats it.

Good season premiere. It opened up some new story lines, and still didn't abruptly close any of the other mysteries. Good writing fo sho.

I think Homeland might be passing BE on my list, but Breaking Bad and Mad Men are still better.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
Homeland is the best show on tv by far. EASILY

I still have it a notch behind Breaking Bad, but with how BB has gone in its final season and how yesterday went, I am starting to think a switch is in order at the top.

Yesterday was a GREAT start to the season. A few notes:

- I like Daines as a brunette.

- You pretty much know who the mole in the CIA is, but - much like the rest of the show - knowing and understanding why are two different beasts entirely.

- At first glance, it seems as if Brody is more or less moved on from what he was going to do, but Abu Nazir and his team is good at dangling the carrot of "do it for Isha" at any spot possible. I take it a few months past since the SF and the start of S2, with Brody in office and Matheson now back in the real world, and Brody has more or less forgot what was asked of him moving ahead. Now, Nazir sees a chance to get some more intel via Brody...and I'm sure the VP nod is going to get Nazir foaming at the mouth at the possibilities.

- In regards to above...Dana is gonna convert this season, and this will give Brody new fuel to execute plans for Abu Nazir. Whether or not his daughter will sign off on violence is another thing entirely, but she will join her father in sharing his faith. How Brody interprets that is still unknown.

- Jessica is LOVING life as the wife of a politician. She doesn't want anything to get in the way of that, and Brody's revelation is going to pose a risk, as she sees it.

- Saul is awesome. That is all.

- David Estes believes he's in control. However, that reporter is going to wrap him around his finger and get him to sing. It's not too hard to believe that he's in well over his head with this one.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Darrelle Revis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was great last night.

I have Homeland behind Mad Men (like everything else on TV), but it's right there with Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones IMO.

"I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."
yankee0724

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because I don't watch Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and don't have HBO lol

Also, ET, I had completely forgotten about the mole storyline, so I have no idea who you're talking about.

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really strong first episode. Loved 'the smile' at the end... nobody plays crazy like Clair Danes.

One thing that bugged me was the idea that Abu Nazir and al Qaeda would be motivated to launch attacks in retaliation for Israeli bomb attacks on Iran. They made a big show in the Quaker meeting scene of saying, "Lumping all Arabs/Muslims is wrong," and then sort of make that same mistake, misunderstanding the complex, often adversarial relationship between the Sunni terrorist organization and the Shi'a, Persian ruling class of Tehran.

And the thing was, they didn't really even need Abu Nazir, or rather, his reporter mole ambassador to Brody, to invoke the Iran bombings to go in the direction of them planning another attack, and they otherwise got it right by having Carrie and Saul tracking the attack plans that Iran's client organization Hezbollah as a likely starting point for retaliatory attacks. It just seemed to me a rare moment of sloppiness for a show that otherwise does a pretty good job in injecting a dose of nuance (and more personally driven emotion) into the logic of geopolitical conflict.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
One thing that bugged me was the idea that Abu Nazir and al Qaeda would be motivated to launch attacks in retaliation for Israeli bomb attacks on Iran. They made a big show in the Quaker meeting scene of saying, "Lumping all Arabs/Muslims is wrong," and then sort of make that same mistake, misunderstanding the complex, often adversarial relationship between the Sunni terrorist organization and the Shi'a, Persian ruling class of Tehran.

plus the show portrays Nazir as a master planner who takes years to bring about an action. not respond to immediate current events.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Loved 'the smile' at the end... nobody plays crazy like Clair Danes.

she certainly has done that well, yes. the last 2 episodes of the first season were really her on fire with it.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

And the thing was, they didn't really even need Abu Nazir, or rather, his reporter mole ambassador to Brody, to invoke the Iran bombings to go in the direction of them planning another attack, and they otherwise got it right by having Carrie and Saul tracking the attack plans that Iran's client organization Hezbollah as a likely starting point for retaliatory attacks. It just seemed to me a rare moment of sloppiness for a show that otherwise does a pretty good job in injecting a dose of nuance (and more personally driven emotion) into the logic of geopolitical conflict.

Nazir probably felt Brody needed a reminder of why he agreed to help Nazir. He's been through a whirlwind since the failed attack, becoming a Rep, being considered for the VP spot. He's obviously still not comfortable helping Nazir with his plans, at least actively.

I love the way they're setting up the family dynamic. I think Brody's daughter is going to become a much more important character this season.
dotmotion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its a tv show but I cant get my mind wrapped around that a first term congressman is a VP candidate. However, I'll just look at it as his stature from being a hero and what presumably seems like really good manipulation skills overtakes all other aspects.

Seriously, Damian Lewis is class. The whole scene with him in the garage with his wife was amazing. Maybe I dont watch a lot of drams but he is the best anti hero that I remember watching. He plays the character so well.

I love how they making Estes look like a complete tool. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotmotion wrote:
I know its a tv show but I cant get my mind wrapped around that a first term congressman is a VP candidate. However, I'll just look at it as his stature from being a hero and what presumably seems like really good manipulation skills overtakes all other aspects.

Politics are fickle. Hell, Sarah Palin went from virtual unknown to national figure overnight. Anything could happen. Brody would be a modern war hero, I could definitely see him getting the nod.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Really strong first episode. Loved 'the smile' at the end... nobody plays crazy like Clair Danes.

I kind of hate the politics of the show, it almost comes across as anchor baby/fear mongering (anyone can be a terrorist!) BS. I watch it more for the drama/human emotion involvement.

dotmotion wrote:

Almost like a first term senator running for President.....
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoxSox2004 wrote:
Brody would be a modern war hero, I could definitely see him getting the nod.

Essentially the Grant presidency in a nutshell, he was even a drunkard in office.
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I kind of hate the politics of the show, it almost comes across as anchor baby/fear mongering (anyone can be a terrorist!) BS. I watch it more for the drama/human emotion involvement.

Honestly, I really like how they portray the politics. It's very simple motivation, Nazir losing his son, Brody giving up on the attack for his daughter. There's very little jingoism or eye-rolling statements. It's all about the personal connection.

Also, the way they portray Brody as a Muslim is perfect. They nailed most of the details, right down to how to respectfully dispose of an old Koran.
dotmotion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Almost like a first term senator running for President.....

Isn't a congress running in a district of 200,000 people. At least running statewide seems more credible from my perspective. Also, that senator has more than 10 years of state and federal level political experience. Brody from what I assume has a maximum of 1. I wouldn't want someone with 1 year of any political experience running my country, Edit to add. Also, wasn't even a leader in the military or business world which seem like substitutes to a lack of political background. However at the same time, it is semi believable. If he can convince everyone he is not working for Nazir, I am sure he can convince the public that he would make a great leader. He seems like a great politician and whatever, it fits the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoxSox2004 wrote:

Honestly, I really like how they portray the politics. It's very simple motivation, Nazir losing his son, Brody giving up on the attack for his daughter. There's very little jingoism or eye-rolling statements. It's all about the personal connection.

Also, the way they portray Brody as a Muslim is perfect. They nailed most of the details, right down to how to respectfully dispose of an old Koran.

They do portray some politics well and as you said, the fact that drone attacks are a flawed way to combat terrorism . Just when I watch the show it just comes across as kind of fear mongering towards anyone can be a terrorist but that comes with the very unrealistic premise of the show (two US marine POWs coming back to the US now working for al-Qaeda (do they specify what organization they work for?)). It's not the make up of the show, which is why I still watch it, it just has to tread carefully and make sure it doesn't go down the path of 24 (which got to the point where it basically justified torture).

dotmotion wrote:

Isn't a congress running in a district of 200,000 people. At least running statewide seems more credible from my perspective. Also, that senator has more than 10 years of state and federal level political experience. Brody from what I assume has a maximum of 1. I wouldn't want someone with 1 year of any political experience running my country, Edit to add. Also, wasn't even a leader in the military or business world which seem like substitutes to a lack of political background. However at the same time, it is semi believable. If he can convince everyone he is not working for Nazir, I am sure he can convince the public that he would make a great leader. He seems like a great politician and whatever, it fits the story.

I wasn't trying to make much of a political statement just show that experience isn't always necessary. And anyway the runningmate position has been used to garner votes. What does Biden honestly do? He did a lot of work with the stimulus but other than that he has been going from country to country being in loco Obama and doing a lot of Democrat internal organizations/campaigning. He also has been cosying it up with bikers.

THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrelle Revis wrote:
Thought it was great last night.

I have Homeland behind Mad Men (like everything else on TV), but it's right there with Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones IMO.

Mad Men > Homeland > Game of Thrones > Breaking Bad

At least in my opinion.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 7 of 47

Jump to: