Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 (25th anniv Paul's Boutique)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Calibucsfan wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Here's a link for a free DL of Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop featuring some of the best beats of all time. Guest stars include Brand Nubian, Showbiz, & Fat Joe.

Thank you.

New music in my ipod Very Happy

My favorite tracks from the album:

"Sally Got a One-Track Mind"

One of my favorite beats, and songs, ever.

that beat is sick....
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
We've got some really cool stuff in store for this thread. I like your tastes in hip hop tho if these are your 3 greatest hip hop songs of all time.

I'll be following along. I was just kidding about going downhill, because you can't outdo the top those three songs.

I'm not entirely sure if I'd put '93 till in my top three (it would definitely be top 5 though), but the other two are my unquestioned 1-2.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
He Hate Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread guys.

Props to Eggy
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many fans of Dilla on FF but I want to take it back to a few tracks he did when he originally went by Jay Dee when I immediately became a fan of his. Free DL links included below.

The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia

"Runnin'"

Jay Dee burst on the scene producing multiple tracks on The Pharcyde's followup to their highly successful debut album. Labcabincalifornia, which I find to be a better album than Bizarre Ride II, showcased a more mature sound and content for the group. J-Swift (who produced the first album) and The Pharcyde had parted ways in a less than amicable manner over money and Swift's heavy drug use which led The Pharcyde to produce the album themselves along with Jay Dee and Diamond D.

"Runnin'" was the first single off the album and was constructed around Jay Dee's sampling of Stan Getz's "Saudade Vem Correndo". A smooth combination of guitars and horns combined with an aggressive drum track created one of the Pharcyde's most beloved songs.

"Drop"

"Drop" might be best known for its highly creative and stylized video directed by Spike Jonz which features The Pharcyde filmed moving backwards but played in reverse creating fun shenanigans and stunts. The video matches the spacey, laid back synths and drums by Jay Dee and the scratching of the Beastie Boys' "The New Style" made the perfect hook.

"She Said (remix)"

The 3rd single from Labcabincalifornia was "She Said" and was produced by Slim Kid Tre. The original is a great song in itself and Jay Dee's remix made a fine addition to The Pharcyde's discography.Jay Dee's remix is built around a lower key piano sample and driven by a textured hi-hat and adds a more melancholy vibe than Tre's original.

De La Soul - Stakes Is High

"Stakes Is High"

Jay Dee's chopping of Ahmad Jamal's "Swahililand" is a great example of a producer arranging the chopped samples in a seamless manner that makes it sounds looped. James Brown's "Mind Power" supplies the "Vibrations" portion of the track bearing the album's title setting the stage for Pos and Trugoy to bring the heavy lumber on the song. Grown man sport here for real.

Keith Murray - Enigma

"Dangerous Ground feat. 50 Grand"

Originally from the soundtrack to the Ice Cube/Elizabeth Hurley film Dangerous Ground, "Dangerous Ground" was added to what I believe to be Keith Murray's best album. At this point, Jay Dee became affiliated with The Ummah who received the production credit fot the song but you can clearly hear Jay's fingerprints all over it. The keyboard heavy sound that dominated Beats, Rhymes, & Life began here with these 2 Keith Murray songs. On this one we hear a playful back and forth between Keith and fellow LOD member 50 Grand.

"The Rhyme (remix)"

Erick Sermon and Keith Murray knocked out a great song in "The Rhyme" for the first single from Enigma. The Ummah remix (again clearly laced by Jay Dee) gave the song a different vibe matching Murray's braggadocio and giving it a less playful feel than Sermon's original. Both are included in the album.

Amari Cooper for Heisman - 43 rec. 655 yds, 5 TDs
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharcyde=Win
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg Enigma is one of my favorite hiP hop records.

One of my all time favs has gotta be the whole Wu Tang Clan Enter the 36 chambers. I can still listen to that whole cd and not skip any tracks.

Pretty much every WTC rappers first CDs are classics.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringin out my pad and paper waiting to be schooled in the so-called Golden Age of hip-hop. This thread has potential to be ridiculous if you guys keep it up. Your write-ups definitely give ample respect to their respective beats/songs.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
I'm bringin out my pad and paper waiting to be schooled in the so-called Golden Age of hip-hop. This thread has potential to be ridiculous if you guys keep it up. Your write-ups definitely give ample respect to their respective beats/songs.

Thanks. This time period means a lot to us and hopefully it shows through. These albums are the soundtracks to our lives and witnessing them firsthand as they dropped brings along some cool stories.

49erjunkie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Wondering why no one was making something like this.

Walter Redskins on the sig.
Willink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from weekend holiday, figured I'd add on a few of my favorite Jay Dee tracks:

Busta Rhymes - The Coming

"Woo-Hah!! (Jay Dee Remix)"

Woo-Hah was one of the many memorable tracks dropped by Busta in the 1990's that was accompanied by colorful, bizarre music videos. With the 1996 CDM release there were no less than seven remixes by a number of diffeent artists, two of which were produced by Jay Dee. This is a third remix, which first appeared on a vinyl EP put out by House Shoes in limited circulation in 1997. This remix is a bit less moody and piano driven than either of Dilla's other two efforts, and features a slapping snare built around a pulsating SÚrgio Mendes sample.

1st Down - A Day With The Homiez Vinyl

"A Day Wit The Homiez"

In 1995 Jay Dee and Phat Kat were signed on with PayDay Records, the label most well known for being the home of artists such as Jeru the Damaja, Jay-Z, and Showbiz and A.G. during the early 1990's. In 1994 Guru was promoting Hard To Earn in Detroit when a record store owner played a 1st Down tape for him, and Guru subsequently gave Phat Kat the contact information for the label. Mirroring Jay-Z's initial problem with PayDay (Jay had released the vinyl to In My Lifetime through the label before management and promotion issues caused him to leave), the two released one vinyl, containing the tracks A Day With the Homiez and Front Street, before conflict with the label and a lack of promotion caused them to end the relationship right before the label folded. The group recorded a few other tracks under the moniker, including a remix to Front Street, It Doesn't Get No Liver Than This, and No Place to Go, but A Day With The Homiez remains the most notable of these tracks, with a sample of Joe Sample's In All My Wildest Dreams later made popular by 2Pac on the track Dear Mama and Louis Logic on the track Idiot Gear.

Proof - Pre-D12 releases

"The Fizzo"

In the days before Jay Dee's tapes were given to Q-Tip by Amp Fiddler at Lollapalooza, he was working on music with Slum Village, 1st Down and another group, a duo by the name Funky Cowboy, which featured Jay Dee on production and Proof on vocals. The two recorded a number of tracks, and Jay Dee later contributed production to Proof's group 5 Elementz. Proof later went on to D12 but still maintained a strong bond with Jay Dee, and introduced both Eminem and Dr. Dre to the Detroit beatsmith. Proof later recorded a tribute to Dilla in March of 2006, in the one month between their deaths. The Fizzo is one of the tracks recorded by the duo in 1994, and features an ad-libbed chorus by T3 over frantic horns and a filtered piano sample.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Lost Tribes

"That Schit"

That Schit is a leftover track from the recording sessions for The Love Movement. One wonders why they left it off the album when it sounds better than half the tracks on it. The background behind the track is a bit fuzzy, but it was recorded in 96-97 and later appeared on one of those 5 trillion mixtapes Funkmaster Flex put out from 95-99. It finally received a "real" release in 2006 on the Japanese The Lost Tribes pressing.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect

Last edited by Willink on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Willink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as a further addition to the above post, here is a free collection of tracks from Consequence's shelved Elektra album, Hostile Takeover, which featured production from Q-Tip, Jay Dee, Havoc, among others. Consequence plans to release most of the album in its full form (he retained the masters for the material, recorded between 1996 and 1998) as well as a number of other tracks from the period on the release Classic Cons, which is due to be released some time in the next few months.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7i7wjoyhcsf5632

I always felt that Consequence got undue hate from a lot of Tribe fans, I thought his contributions on Beats, Rhymes and Life were solid and fitting with the theme and feel of the album, and he had great synergy with Q-Tip on Stressed Out.

Quote:
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
I always felt that Consequence got undue hate from a lot of Tribe fans, I thought his contributions on Beats, Rhymes and Life were solid and fitting with the theme and feel of the album, and he had great synergy with Q-Tip on Stressed Out.

I remember that happening and I'm still not sure why. My problem wasn't so much their lineup as it was BRL was a weak album esp production-wise. Maybe in retrospect it's bcuz it followed up their magnum opus Midnight Marauders but time has not been kind to the album either. I never listen to it.

At the same time, I find myself listening to UMC's more than Tribe nowadays anyway...

Willink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Source - "Just Hangin' Out"

The entire Breaking Atoms record is something anyone should listen to before formulating their list of top producers, as Large Pro put in WORK all over the album. Main Source released their successful debut in 1991 only to soon thereafter split up, but not before the album produced two successful singles in the aforementioned Just Hangin' Out and Looking at the Front Door.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the record marks the first appearances by a young Nas and a young Akinyele, though the fact the entire album is fire is lost on those who just focus on that kernel of information. On the whole a very consistent, richly put together album and individual track.

Ras Kass - "The Evil That Men Do"

I've defended Ras Kass in the past, and I consider his debut release, Soul On Ice, to be far and away the best west-coast album of the year, and one of the classic debuts in the lore of hip hop. With lines like "And *@&amn if I don't slam my wallets in danger/So I'm coming out like unborn baby's with hangers" Ras Kass immediately established himself as one of the most potent lyricists in the genre (and had generated masses of hype after the circulation of various records in the year proceeding the album), which is immediately evident on the track linked above.

The Evil That Men Do follows Ras on a biographical tale through the twists and turns of his existence, from birth to his childhood to the present. It's a haunting, honest track, with emotional lines that tug at any listeners heartstrings. It narrowly edges out Ordo Abchao as my favorite track on the album, and stands as one of the best storytelling tracks in hip hop history.

Blahzay Blahzay
- "Danger"

Blahzay Blahzay are most known for this hard-hitting track which appeared in summer 1995 and climbed to #4 on rap charts, taking over NYC by radio along the way. A great album followed, but it never lived up to the success of the single. Danger features big, aggressive bass and an infections scratched chorus that accents the chemistry between PF Cuttin and Out Loud. Also worth noting is an equally as ill part 2 of the track which appears before it on the album.

King Tee - "You Can't See Me"

I've indirectly brought up this track on here before, mostly due to a ridiculous flip of some of King Tee's vocals on Suff Daddy's 'Gnac, which was my favorite instrumental of 2010. King Tee is one of the most underrated west coast emcees, and this album and track are a testament to his talent, featuring great production and rhymes throughout. King Tee raps with a swagger apparent on first listen, and it comes as little surprise that he later hooked up with Dre in an abortive attempt to put out his album The Kingdom Come in 1998. Tee's cadence and voice bear a remarkable similarity to Notorious BIG, and Ice T later admitted that Big considered Tee his favorite emcee on a few occasions on trips to LA.

Quote:
imani

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Pharcyde=Win

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be posting about the importance of the hip hop movie soundtracks and will break it down into a few parts to cover ground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: