Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 (25th anniv Paul's Boutique)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
http://www.getondown.com/blog/2012/08/get-on-down-investigative-reports-breaking-down-gzas-labels/

Interesting article about how many of the labels GZA mentioned are still active.  RZA razor RZA razor sharp.  GZA will always be the Wu GOAT.

I've been jamming to Method Man-Tical over the past few days

also picked up a slightly used original(!!!!) pressing of Breaking Atoms for 10 bucks at the record store down the street from my apartment, has the original issue runout groove etchings that are missing on all the later bootleg/rerelease versions

giving the version I ordered online to my brother

Dancing Dancing

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
thrILL!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I was walking around the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego and outside Horton Plaza (an outdoor mall) some rapper comes up trying to sell me his CD. This is not uncommon across the country and I swear it happens outside every Best Buy I ever go in. Being a producer myself, I can appreciate the grind and hustle of trying to move music this way. But with the plethora of wack music out there and every suburban kid who discovered Eminem that now fashions himself a rapper, I'm leery of the quality of music being pushed my way on the sidewalk.

I always ask them a question like who's your favorite MC or which MC's are your biggest influences or what's your favorite hip hop album of all time? 9x out of 10 I get insipid responses or bumbling and stalling that don't even answer the question much less surprise or impress me. The conversation usually ends here.

So I ask this kid who his favorite MC is and immediately he says 2pac. Not a surprise as 2pac is still popular even with kids who weren't old enough to remember the day he died much less his Zartan-esque journey as an artist. But then he proceeds to tell me that 2pac is dead in a condescending way to which he received a sarcastic response of shock and dismay akin to when Lloyd Christmas finds out that man has landed on the moon.

I ask him what his favorite 2pac track is and he says he doesn't really have a favorite. I don't understand this bcuz I have favorite songs for all my favorite artists. He asks me what my favorite 2pac song is and I tell him "Definition of a Thug N!**@". He says he's never heard of it and I tell him it was on the Poetic Justice soundtrack (which he says he's never seen) back in the mid 90's. I tell him how it's my favorite Warren G beat too. He says "Who's Warren G?" Sigh. I tell him he's Dr. Dre's half-brother and had that huge hit "Regulate" with Nate Dogg. He says he's never heard of it. I kept it movin' obviously.

Never heard of Warren G or "Regulate" and you're from SoCal? This guy was at least 19 and maybe 25 at the oldest so yes he's young. My question is who are his siblings and older relatives and how has he not heard this from them? How do these kids barely know Chronic 2001 but have never heard The Chronic? Most young fans of 2pac think 2pacalypse Now is his worst album. They've never listened to Strictly For... It's cool if they like the more recent albums more than the older, but as a huge fan of his work, don't you seek out all of his material? Is this type of fandom obsolete nowadays? This is exactly what Willink was talking about in the other hip hop thread. Not talking

Amari Cooper for Heisman - 62 rec. 908 yds, 7 TDs
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I don't post much in here, I really appreciate you two dropping all of the stuff in here.

I actually have something great to drop in here later today if I remember to upload it.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it uploaded a lot faster than I ever expected it to.

So I will just drop this here and let anybody who wants to enjoy.

18 unreleased beat tapes from J Dilla; 439 total beats.

Some of them have rappers going on top of them, some are just purely beats.

Just a heads up, the 12th tape is in there twice.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
PHillysPHinest2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend made this beat not too long ago, just in a couple days figuring out how to sample. He didn't change too much of the original, but it came out sounding dope. What do you think? Comments? Criticism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBpk9Yt-MA

Samples Love Unlimited's High Steppin Hip Dressin' Fella. Which has been used in numerous Hippity Hop songs including the remix of Edgar Allen Floe's song I see All.

Kiltman is the Ill(est) man
thrILL!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

You are my hero. Good lookin' out!

thrILL!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHillysPHinest2 wrote:
My friend made this beat not too long ago, just in a couple days figuring out how to sample. He didn't change too much of the original, but it came out sounding dope. What do you think? Comments? Criticism?

Samples Love Unlimited's High Steppin Hip Dressin' Fella. Which has been used in numerous Hippity Hop songs including the remix of Edgar Allen Floe's song I see All.

Yo this is really dope. As the song progresses, he does more drum drops and my only suggestion would be more of this and vary it. Take out the hi-hats at points, drop the kicks in others, etc.

I can't front on this at all. Lots of times ppl post their boy's work or this and that and a lot of times it sucks and you don't want to dis it but that is not the case with this. What does he use to make beats?

PHillysPHinest2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
PHillysPHinest2 wrote:

Yo this is really dope. As the song progresses, he does more drum drops and my only suggestion would be more of this and vary it. Take out the hi-hats at points, drop the kicks in others, etc.

I can't front on this at all. Lots of times ppl post their boy's work or this and that and a lot of times it sucks and you don't want to dis it but that is not the case with this. What does he use to make beats?

Oh nice dude I am glad you dig it! And I will let him know! We have both have verses to this but want to get them perfect (and get a good microphone) before we go and record anything.

And we both use a combination of FL Studios and Audacity, because we are broke and both are free lol. We've just been practicing since we were 16 (both almost 20 now) so it's finally starting to come together for us. Although, not gonna lie, he's way better than me at making beats.

We're currently working on a few beats, but the trickiest one is to Labi Siffre's "My Song" which is just ridiculous. All the vocal chops that we want to use he slows down at least 20 bpms and it's tough making them fit, even if you slow them down to match the rest of the beat. So fun tho.

Willink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHillysPHinest2 wrote:

And we both use a combination of FL Studios and Audacity, because we are broke and both are free lol.

same thing I do, love the combination

chopping samples in audacity is extremely easy IMO.

don't think I posted these either:

http://soundcloud.com/willink/m

http://www.sharebeast.com/200rrk21lhe9

and sticking with the general theme of the thread:

Milkbone - Keep It Real

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna take me forever to go thru all those Dilla beats. Looking fwd to it.

I saw Miilkbone live in Cleveland back in like '96 I think. He opened up for Redman, Brand Nubian, and Pete Rock & CL Smooth (who didn't show bcuz they had just broken up). I got a chance to polly with Sadat X which was cool. It was a great show. That "Keep It Real" beat is still a heavy rotation track for freestyles. I have the instrumental if anyone wants me to post it.

PHillysPHinest2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
PHillysPHinest2 wrote:

And we both use a combination of FL Studios and Audacity, because we are broke and both are free lol.

same thing I do, love the combination

chopping samples in audacity is extremely easy IMO.

don't think I posted these either:

http://soundcloud.com/willink/m

http://www.sharebeast.com/200rrk21lhe9

and sticking with the general theme of the thread:

Milkbone - Keep It Real

Hahaha NICE! Great minds think alike lol.
I really liked Do Do Do Do! Siiiiick chopping sir. I see you are into making mashups too. What do you think of this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNu6_htvBw The same friend who made the High Steppa beat put this together using My Block by 2Pac and Vines by Emancipator. Pretty dope. He had a sicker one with Distant Farther by Kromestar and Juice by 2Pac. But damn youtube forced him to take it down.

Also that Milkbone song is sweeeeeeet. I love the 90's. Except how much crazy [inappropriate/removed] dancing he's doing in that video lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6IuRsY04s This is technically 90's. And incredibly dope. First 9th Wonder/Phonte collab.

AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

thanks iPwn, I downloaded it last night & now I'm on disc 2.
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropping by to leave one of my favorite tracks. Ridiculous work on the boards by the Alchemist and two of my favorite emcees lacing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9HuGts2_SQ

Peppers90 on the sig.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Just dropping by to leave one of my favorite tracks. Ridiculous work on the boards by the Alchemist and two of my favorite emcees lacing it:

Alchemist is def one of the GOATs. Rae & Ghost have such great chemistry. I do like how he flipped that same beat for M.O.P. and Kool G. Rap a little better tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FAXxUBS4c

PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Alchemist is def one of the GOATs. Rae & Ghost have such great chemistry. I do like how he flipped that same beat for M.O.P. and Kool G. Rap a little better tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FAXxUBS4c

Both sound good, I personally feel 'The Forest' is far superior still because it's so much cleaner. M.O.P. is dope though, one of my favorite crews.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: