Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3irty1 3/21 Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3irty1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: 3irty1 3/21 Mock Draft Reply with quote

Round 1 - Pick 26

Jonathan Cooper | OG | UNC
6’2” 310 lbs

Cooper, a victim of not only being a guard but also the 2nd guard in this class, slips on draft day to a team that will put him to best use in a zone blocking heavy scheme. As in 2010 with Bulaga, the Packers find a great value in the first round. The Packers have two stud guards locked up through 2016 so between the 3 of them, someone is going to have to make it work at center. Cooper has experience there so musical chairs might be unnecessary. Too much talent is a good problem to have for coach McCarthy.

Round 2 - Pick 55

David Amerson | CB | NC State
6’1” 205 lbs

The 2011 NCAA interceptions leader looks like a safety to Ted. Amerson’s speed, length, physical play, and truly special ball skills give the packers another secondary player that can with the game for you outright. He finally fills a free safety void from another 2nd round CB prospect turned safety...

Round 3 - Pick 88

Devin Taylor | DE | South Carolina
6’7” 265 lbs

Ted has stacks and stacks of dream journals filled with physical specimens like Taylor. Unlike former dream journal entry Jeremy Thompson though, Devin has SEC experience and some decent but declining production. Kevin Greene and a position change to 3-4 OLB might be the shot in the arm he needs as a football player.

Round 4 - Pick 122

Josh Boyce | WR | TCU
5’11” 205 lbs

Some might say this is a reach but Ted doesn’t see Boyce as just a slot guy. Ted sees Boyce as an all-around player that does the small things well. He runs slippery routes, explodes out of his cuts, has great hands, and is a tough runner after the catch. He also has enough size and deep speed to compliment Jordy Nelson as a deep threat (4.38 with a broken pinky toe).

Round 5 - Pick 159

Ty Powell | DE | Harding
6’2” 250 lbs

A do-all defender that covers like a safety and rushes the passer. By any measure he is a truly gifted athlete. Could be one of the best special teamers on planet Earth with the upside to do anything a 250 lb defender has ever done.

Round 5 - Pick 167

Miguel Maysonet | RB | Stony Brook
5’09” 210 lbs

Scores of Wisconsinites shake their beers at their TV’s as another player from a school nobody’s ever heard of gets picked by Ted. Then the draft analysts queue this clip ( 2:28 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCW3sKo20rs&t=2m28s and everybody feels a little better. As usual Ted knows best and we head into the season with a lightning and lightning combo of Harris and Maysonet. Maysonet’s hands will prove better than advertised. Between their new talent at RB and reinforced interior line, the Packers are ready to put out a real NFL ground game.

Round 6 - Pick 193

Kyle Juszczyk | FB | Harvard
6’1” 250 lbs

Versatile fullback with soft hands and the ability to lay some impressive decleating blocks. Juszczyk could be just the harvard gentleman to dethrone Kuhn as our team FB and free up a little money in the process.

Round 7 - Pick 232

DeQuinta Jones | DT | Arkansas
6’05” 305 lbs

Long and disruptive young man who had his moments against the best competition in college football. Looks the part of a 5-tech for the Packers and should provide decent competition for CJ Wilson and John Jolly since Worthy won’t be ready to provide any.
Hinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very realistic mock. Don't know about Mr. Cooper falling to the 26th pick but other than that this is real mock. Im not going to judge the players you selected cause we all have our own opinions but what I will say you have them going in the right rounds from what I can see.

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.
Madtown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this happened I'd dance for days with the Cooper taking a Bulaga-esque fall. Of course, that's given that the scouts have deemed that he's mentally capable of handling the calls.

Amerson is a good prospect. Given what CWood and Palmy have said, it seems that someone will take him as a CB prospect before we'd take him as a S prospect. We shall see. For me, if we did pick him, I'd be looking forward to next year. This year, I'm assuming he'd have a hard time learning the scheme well enough to contribute much as a 2nd rd pick. He is a good player though, so no love lost there.

Some of the other guys are a bit out of my knowledge base. I'll have to look more at them. Maysonet really would be a little sparkplug Smile
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing anything about I just have a hard time seeing a 6'7" OLB, with enough movement skills to not be a complete liability. I can't think of any real successful OLB's that are over 6'5" even, just a lot of laws of physics seem to be working against him. So I'm curious what you see in him. again stating I have never seen him play.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Cooper falling past Dallas to be honest, only way we could get him would be a trade up IMO. I like Amerson, don't like the Taylor pick at all he isn't explosive at all and I think its more likely he would have to put on weight and become a 3-4 DE in our scheme. Can't say I am a fan of this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
Without knowing anything about I just have a hard time seeing a 6'7" OLB, with enough movement skills to not be a complete liability. I can't think of any real successful OLB's that are over 6'5" even, just a lot of laws of physics seem to be working against him. So I'm curious what you see in him. again stating I have never seen him play.

He'd be an odd duck for the position perhaps but I feel he could do it. He's looked pretty good dropping into zones in college. With his length he has a lot a flexibility for a guy his size. I actually think he looked a good bit more fit for coverage than Nick Perry!

Regardless of that you don't take him because you expect him to be able to handle some occasional coverage responsibilities, I'd draft him because of what he can be at the line of scrimmage.

EDIT:

Check out Taylor's combine numbers, they should certainly answer the question of his ability to change directions.

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
3-Cone Drill: 6.89

That's a solid 3-Cone for any linebacker.

Last edited by 3irty1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
3irty1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCobb18 wrote:
I don't see Cooper falling past Dallas to be honest, only way we could get him would be a trade up IMO. I like Amerson, don't like the Taylor pick at all he isn't explosive at all and I think its more likely he would have to put on weight and become a 3-4 DE in our scheme. Can't say I am a fan of this one.

Dallas is definitely the spot to watch if Cooper was to start falling! Getting past 18 is contingent on another prospect in an area of need falling to Jerry. You can always count on him to take the guy with the most sizzle and that's unlikely to be an offensive guard. We'd be lucky but it could happen!

Taylor is capable of a lot more than what he left on the field at Carolina. I agree that he looks lethargic at times but that's why he's a 3rd rounder. Guy is a prospect at a position the Packers already have starting talent for. He has the body to be as good as he wants and Kevin Greene could be the guy to feed his mean streak.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could dig it if you got rid of Taylor. He's really talk and will struggle to get leverage from 2-point stance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good mock but there are two fatal flaws with it. First, you don't address the TE position at all. We've lost 2 TE's including our most consistent TE in Tom Crabtree. TE is about as big of a need as Safety is going into this draft.

That said, the other fatal flaw was reaching on Taylor, he could be had in the 4th and with some bulk, he'd actually be a better 3-4 DE because of his length. So add Travis Kelce as your third, kick out Miguel Mayonaise(who has no shot of being on this team to begin with because of his size) and you've got a solid draft there IMO.

Personally, I don't like the Cooper pick because I think TE and S are bigger needs(plus there are several viable C prospects in this draft), but I do think Cooper will slide down the board as every year, teams take wild cards in the first round. Who thought Bruce Irvin would go 15th overall last year?
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
This is a really good mock but there are two fatal flaws with it. First, you don't address the TE position at all. We've lost 2 TE's including our most consistent TE in Tom Crabtree. TE is about as big of a need as Safety is going into this draft.

That said, the other fatal flaw was reaching on Taylor, he could be had in the 4th and with some bulk, he'd actually be a better 3-4 DE because of his length. So add Travis Kelce as your third, kick out Miguel Mayonaise(who has no shot of being on this team to begin with because of his size) and you've got a solid draft there IMO.

Personally, I don't like the Cooper pick because I think TE and S are bigger needs(plus there are several viable C prospects in this draft), but I do think Cooper will slide down the board as every year, teams take wild cards in the first round. Who thought Bruce Irvin would go 15th overall last year?

Uh, we lost one TE and it was Tom Freaking Crabtree.

Mag is similar size to DuJuan Harris, but whatever you say.

I draft BPA in round one, and Cooper is >>> Eifert, (Vaccaro will be gone), Cyprien, Elam, and Reid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we've lost 2 TE's. Andrew Quarless ain't coming back from that knee injury and we'll probably have to injury settlement that one. So that leaves us with Finley, Williams, and Taylor. Not too confident in any of those guys to be brutally honest with you.

"Mag is similar size to DuJuan Harris."

Which is why he doesn't fit the team; we've already got a back like that. If we draft RB, it's gotta be a big bruiser like Lacy, Bell, or Christine Michael.

I also didn't know you were anti-Lang and anti-Sitton. I'll keep that in mind.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
No, we've lost 2 TE's. Andrew Quarless ain't coming back from that knee injury and we'll probably have to injury settlement that one. So that leaves us with Finley, Williams, and Taylor. Not too confident in any of those guys to be brutally honest with you.

Which is why he doesn't fit the team; we've already got a back like that. If we draft RB, it's gotta be a big bruiser like Lacy, Bell, or Christine Michael.

Um Cooper would play C so way to jump to conclusions there.

You have no knowledge that Q won't come back. Zero. If anything, letting Crabtree walk should be a good thing as far as how Q's doing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

Um Cooper would play C so way to jump to conclusions there.

You have no knowledge that Q won't come back. Zero. If anything, letting Crabtree walk should be a good thing as far as how Q's doing.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, I believe McCarthy said that he expects him to be back fully healthy heading into this year. I do not have the link, it might have been radio, but either way he expects him to be back. Now at what level might be the better question, which is where I agree that the willingness to let Crabtree walk might be a better sign for Quarless.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I have no knowledge? It's called an opinion, I saw the injury and how bad it was. I also noticed that it happened 2 years ago and he still hasn't come back. I think that alone says enough. As for Cooper, since when has he been considered to be a Center. That was an assumption by the OP. Would I mind it? No because Cooper's a sizeable player and if he can play Center well great. I just don't see where he's a Center other than a statement by the OP.

Looks like I touched a nerve here...
3irty1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I have no knowledge? It's called an opinion, I saw the injury and how bad it was. I also noticed that it happened 2 years ago and he still hasn't come back. I think that alone says enough. As for Cooper, since when has he been considered to be a Center. That was an assumption by the OP. Would I mind it? No because Cooper's a sizeable player and if he can play Center well great. I just don't see where he's a Center other than a statement by the OP.

Looks like I touched a nerve here...

Even if Cooper couldn't play center I'd still draft him purely on value and see how Lang does at C. He was supposed to have some ability there as well. Between the two having some experience at center I'm sure there is a combination that would work.

I didn't view TE as a need as I did expect Quarless to be back but even if he weren't, 3 TE's on the roster isn't exactly a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: