Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Way, way, way too early 53 man roster predictions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Way, way, way too early 53 man roster predictions Reply with quote

Bold is a new addition from the 2016 draft, 2016 UDFA period, or FA. Italics is player added last year, 2015, in the draft, UDFA, or FA, just to give you an idea of how young/new our roster is.

QB: Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Paul Perkins, Orleans Darkwa
FB: Will Johnson
WR: OBJ, Victor Cruz, Sterling Shepard, Dwayne Harris, Geremy Davis, Roger Lewis
TE: Larry Donnell, Will Tye, Jerrell Adams
T: Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart, Marshall Newhouse, Byron Stingily
G: Justin Pugh, John Jerry, Adam Gettis
C: Weston Richburg, Brett Jones

DE: JPP, Olivier Vernon, Owa Odighizuwa, Kerry Wynn, Brad Bars
DT: Johnathan Hankins, Damon Harrison, Jay Bromley, Nikita Whitlock, Greg Milhouse
SLB: Devon Kennard, BJ Goodson
MLB: Keenan Robinson, Jasper Brinkley
WLB: JT Thomas, Jonathan Casillas
CB: DRC, Janoris Jenkins, Eli Apple, Trevin Wade, Mykkele Thompson
S: Landon Collins, Darian Thompson, Nat Berhe, Bennett Jackson

LS: Zak Deossie
K: Josh Brown
P: Brad Wing

Roster is much stronger than last year on paper, especially on defense. I expect my offensive line predictions to be the most off from the final one, as I'm sure we sign a veteran who gets cut to round it out on the right side. Could use more depth and potentially a starter.

The positions we need the most help at are LB, RG, and RT. Little bit lower on the list is DE depth.

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with this. I noticed to have Whitlock listed as a DT and not even a backup FB. Interesting move. You think he could make an impact logging the majority of his snaps there?
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
I'd be happy with this. I noticed to have Whitlock listed as a DT and not even a backup FB. Interesting move. You think he could make an impact logging the majority of his snaps there?

That's the word right now. He proved his worth as a pass rusher last year, and that was without practicing defense during the year. Spags was just sending him out there and letting him run around. Rumors are that he is working out as if he will be a DL this year, which makes sense. He's a very talented dude and can get to the QB.

Will Johnson fits more as a FB in Mcadoo's scheme than Whitlock does anyway. Whitlock is a good blocker and he's very athletic, but he's not a long HB type like Johnson is. Whitlock is too talented and too versatile to leave off the roster. He's one of our best ST guys as well.

GMENNATION

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our DL depth is the most incomplete. I don't see Whitlock making it if he is solely a DT. The only reason he saw time there is because of how bad our D was last year. I also don't think Brad Bars makes the final 53. Some names that might make sense:

DE: Jason Jones, Jeremy Mincey. Both are veterans who can rush the passer. We cannot assume Owa will be healthy AND effective. After him, we have zero pass rush depth so a veteran signing will be made and these guys fit the bill.

DT: Cam Thomas, Sammie Lee Hill. There is not a ton available at DT but Cam Thomas is a 3-4 end that could slide inside for us.

I think your RB choices is wishful thinking but I'm with you on who should make the roster.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're projecting signings. That's not what I was doing when I made the roster. As of right now, Bars is the 5th DE. He's basically Carl Nassib, and some of you like him.

GMENNATION

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
You're projecting signings. That's not what I was doing when I made the roster. As of right now, Bars is the 5th DE. He's basically Carl Nassib, and some of you like him.

Wasn't criticizing. Just talking about places where the final 53 might look most different than today. We're entering the most brutal stretch of the offseason where nothing happens. I'm hoping we see a signing or two over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That makes sense. I agree with you.

Here's a good article about how Whitlock's role is going to change this year. He's up to 260 now.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/05/14/new-york-giants-nikita-whitlock-added-weight-poised-defensive-snaps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think the coaches are counting on Owa to make a big jump this year. He was essentially stashed on IR last year with an injury he could have come back from late in the year. Same as Berhe. There was just no reason to risk it though with the season already over. Just from the eye test, Owa looks bigger than he did coming in as a rookie. I think he'll be ready to step in as that third pass rusher this year.

minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: I think the BJ Goodson pick means the end of Mark Herzlich on the roster. At worst, Goodson is an upgrade over Herzlich on special teams. Before his final year at Clemson, Goodson was strictly a special teams ace. He offers the same things Herzlich does, but at a higher level and with more upside.

Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herzlich was always a Coughlin Guy. Not just the BC ties, he's on the Board of the Jay Fund Foundation. Great story, awful linebacker that improved significantly on STs this past year. Expect he's not going to make the 53 & ends up on IR, retires.

Right Side of the OL. Few intriguing additions not mentioned? Byron Stingily has been a swing tackle the majority of his career, with 9 starts. And I wouldn't pigeon hole Brett Jones at Center. Wearing Richie Seubert's 69, spent last year stashed on IR in the weight room. Should get a look at RG. Now, Bobby Hart & Ereck Flowers.. If you heard Richburg's comments about his teammates being 'Happy' just to be in the league, I think it was directed at one of these 2. Does Hart make strides from year 1 or regress?

Defensively, JPP & Vernon will play a majority of the snaps at DE in base D. In sub packages, you've got Whitlock, Zuwa & Kerry Wynn vying for roles inside.

LB corp, if you protect JT Thomas & Kennard; they can roam around and be complemented by Keenan Robinson in base D. LB corps has lots of competition which is good for an underperforming unit.

The area I expecct a veteran add is Safety (Not Antrel though, sorry folks). After the staff sees the young guys get all the reps in OTAs, they'll move quickly on a Donte Whitner or maybe Leon Hall (move to FS?). Ryan Mundy is also out there.

Now would be the perfect team for a replica of the Kawika Mitchell trade of years ago to address safety.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Hart has drop 20+ pounds this offseason I heard because he wants his footwork to be better so expect Hart to compete at RT since he has experience in college, he;s lighter now.

I believe JPP, OV, Hankins, Snacks will be the starters on the DL (obviously) and I see Bromley coming in on third downs so we can take Snacks off the field. Also, don't be shocked to see JPP slide in to the middle so OWA or someone else to play the other DE spot on third and long situations.

Kennard, JT3 are the expected starters and I will assume Robinson is the MIKE if he's healthy...watch out for Goodson to push Brinkley for the backup spot. This kid has a lot of potential to be our starter of the future.
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us carrying 10 D-lineman. Not enough playing time, and the bottom 3 guys you have are not guys that must be kept on the roster. The three I am referring to are DE's Kerry Wynn & Brad Bars, and DT Greg Milhouse. I can see your reasoning for carrying either 5 DE, or 5 DT given that you have Whitlock as a DT only. However I can't see both happening. Not at the expense of a player like TE Matt LaCosse who will be more valuable and has been playing better ball this spring than those 3. Plus I think Jerrell Adams will have a "Redshirt" rookie year. He will make the roster as the 4th TE, but likely not dress on game day as he uses the year to learn how to be a NY Giant TE in the NFL. I think that JR hopes Tye takes the job and runs away with it, Donnell strings together a good first 5 weeks to the season so he can trade high on him, LaCosse continues his hot spring and if need be for a fourth TE during the game in comes Will Johnson from the FB spot.

Bars is a Toffleson type player who isn't the greatest, but he's got athleticism and a motor. Wynn is heady run stuffing end in the mold of Kiwi, just lacks what little Kiwi brought to the pass rush. It's one or the other in my opinion, and I would take Bars just because Wynn does lack the pass rush skills, and Vernon & JPP both play the run well so he will be sparsely used, if not become a regular on the do not dress list himself. Bars hasn't proven to be any better, but he's not seen the action either. At least with Bars there's a chance, Wynn is what he is.

Personally I take Montari Hughes over Greg Milhouse as the 5th DT, but have no gripes about Whitlock at DT full time. People can bash his size all they want he has a place in the NFL as a situational pass rushing DT, and is too good a ST player to not have on the roster somewhere. He's more valuable as a rotational DT then a full time FB in my opinion. His talent for the D-line trumps his ability to play a position more suited to his size.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I like the Roger Lewis kid making it. I see that he is getting some reps with the 1s which is awesome. MM put me on to Donte Deayon a few months ago. Kid is Barely 150lbs but apparently making plays all over the field. Maybe he makes it over Wade or one of the safeties.

Also, I name I never heard of has also spent time with the 1s, a safety Andrew Adams. Honestly, Collins has been "anointed" the starter but it wouldn't surprise me if DT and someone else start. Collins seems to stiff to me. Time will tell.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
I like it. I like the Roger Lewis kid making it. I see that he is getting some reps with the 1s which is awesome. MM put me on to Donte Deayon a few months ago. Kid is Barely 150lbs but apparently making plays all over the field. Maybe he makes it over Wade or one of the safeties.

Also, I name I never heard of has also spent time with the 1s, a safety Andrew Adams. Honestly, Collins has been "anointed" the starter but it wouldn't surprise me if DT and someone else start. Collins seems to stiff to me. Time will tell.

Collins has taken charge of the defense apparently this offseason. Not only am I sure he starts, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be named captain if they have 2 from each side of the ball. Eli, Richburg, JPP, Collins, and Deossie.

minutemancl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB: Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Paul Perkins, Andre Williams
FB: Will Johnson
WR: OBJ, Victor Cruz, Sterling Shepard, Dwayne Harris, Geremy Davis, Roger Lewis
TE: Larry Donnell, Will Tye, Matt LaCosse
T: Ereck Flowers, Eugene Monroe, Bobby Hart, Marshall Newhouse
G: Justin Pugh, John Jerry, Adam Gettis
C: Weston Richburg, Brett Jones

DE: JPP, Olivier Vernon, Owa Odighizuwa, Kerry Wynn, Brad Bars
DT: Johnathan Hankins, Damon Harrison, Jay Bromley, Nikita Whitlock
SLB: Devon Kennard, BJ Goodson, Mark Herzlich
MLB: Keenan Robinson, Jasper Brinkley
WLB: JT Thomas, Jonathan Casillas
CB: DRC, Janoris Jenkins, Eli Apple, Trevin Wade, Donte Deayon
S: Landon Collins, Darian Thompson, Nat Berhe, Bennett Jackson

LS: Zak Deossie
K: Josh Brown
P: Brad Wing

Post minicamp predictions above. No major differences, but I am predicting we add Eugene Monroe in the next few weeks. I think Sterling Shepard has solidified himself as the #2 WR come the start of the season, Andre Williams makes it back on to the roster after Darkwa comes into camp injured, Roger Lewis is certain to make the roster at this point, and Donte Deayon sneaks his way on to the roster, as Wade is the only other true slot corner on the 53. We only carry 5 CBs, but Jackson can play there as well if need be.

redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^don't forget Jerell Adams

Aldon Smith while being recorded wrote:
Youíre stupid. Youíre tripping. (Expletive deleted), they donít know itís me. Itís not like I put ďAldon SmithĒÖ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: