Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bringing the Toffees to the top: A FM Story
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Bringing the Toffees to the top: A FM Story Reply with quote

Pre-season shocker for Everton

Liverpool, England - Everton Manager announced his shock retirement two days before the beginning of the 2011/2012 season. When asked for more information, Moyes would only say, "This was a personal decision that had been weighing on my mind for quite some time." More on this shocking story as it unravels.

UofMfan909 wrote:
also, yankee.. you usually have pretty good taste in things

#DIJ

Last edited by yankee0724 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dotmotion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everton will never win Twisted Evil

But good luck being the second best club in Merseyside.... (after Liverpool, cause I know you cheeky b*st*rds)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New winning formula. Let Time Howard rifle shots from inside his own box Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 15th, 1996

It began as any average day would for me. I woke up early and headed out to Bellefield for training. Coach told us to start running laps. I caught up with my friends, Michael Branch, Adam Eaton, and Andrew West and talked as we ran. Just like any Monday, we were split off into teams of 11 and played a simulation game. As I ran down the left side of the pitch, I saw Adam coming in for the tackle. That's the last memory I have of that day.

April 16th, 1996

This day seems like a blur, but two things are forever etched into my mind: "You broke your leg in four different spots. Eventually your leg will heal, but your days playing football are over." I couldn't believe it. I was the brightest talent to ever come up through Everton's ranks and my career was over before I turned 16. Adam was the first to stop by; I could tell he was distraught over what he'd done. I tried to comfort him, tell him it wasn't his fault, but I knew it wasn't getting through to him. The pain he felt for ending my career was too much for him. He was never the same defender again, retiring before he turned 25.

July 4th, 2011 - 8:30 A.M. GMT

"Oh no, I overslept!" I thought to myself as I saw what time it was on the clock. The boss warned me that if I was late one more time I was going to lose my job. So naturally, I wasn't surprised when I saw a missed call and voice mail from the office. I didn't even bother to listen to it - I knew exactly what it would say.

I still think back to those two days frequently. I play pickup games every week with some boys from around the neighborhood. I tell them things could have been different for me - I would have broken Ryan Giggs' appearances record before I retired, but they don't believe me. I'm a shell of the player I once was. Before I headed out the door to go out to the park, hoping there was a game to join, my phone rang. I figured it was the boss again, so I wasn't going to answer it. I don't normally answer numbers I don't know - I have a lot of debt - but there was something vaguely familiar about the number...

UofMfan909 wrote:

#DIJ
dotmotion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh a journal story. This should be interesting. In my FM mind, I always envisioned my managerial career in an AVB or Mourinho kind of way. A genius youngster working his way up under legendary mangers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Howard: "I can't take credit for that goal. The wind helped it in." - Manchester City are now preparing a 45m bid for the wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a small bit confused about any connection between the Moyes piece and the journal stuff here.
yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 6, 2011 - 12 P.M.

I couldn't believe it. I sent in an application on a dare by a couple of the lads in my building. I put down my past with Everton and a bunch of teams I managed in Football Manager over the years. Never did I think that the application would find its way to Bill Kenwright, nor did I think he would take it seriously. But yesterday he called me and asked em to come down to Goodison Park for a meeting.

When I got there, he walked me around the facility I had dreamed of playing in as a child. He showed me the club's five FA Cup trophies, the nine Community Shields, explaining that Everton is a proud club. He then asked me what I could do to add trophies to these shelves. I stared at him in shock for a moment, wondering if he was mocking me. I answered anyway. Satisfied with my answer, he offered me a 2 year contract at $26,000 a year to manage Everton.

One hour later...

After David addressed the media, Mr. Kenwright walked out, thanking David for his nine years of service at Everton and wishing him the best in his fight against colon cancer. When Mr. Kenwright began talking, he spoke of me with great pleasure - I still couldn't believe this was going to happen. Then, I realized I had no idea what I was going to say when I get out there, how to handle myself - I was walking in blind. Then Mr. Kenwright introduced me: "Ladies and gentleman, the new Everton manager, Joseph Thompsen."

The first reporter asked the question everybody had on their mind:

Quote:
Who are you, and why are you qualified to be Everton's manager?

I was in for a long day...

UofMfan909 wrote:

#DIJ
yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And dot, I'm probably just going to do updates a month at a time from here on out. Just wanted some background for the manager.

UofMfan909 wrote:

#DIJ
kempus

Location: An economy based on endless growth is, UNSUSTAINABLE!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, did you have to go down the 'Moyes has colon cancer' route, couldnt have have just moved on somewhere else?

Winner of the Soccer Forum Legend Award
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kempus wrote:
Jesus, did you have to go down the 'Moyes has colon cancer' route, couldnt have have just moved on somewhere else?

Lol not as dramatic for the reader Wink

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
kempus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishLion20 wrote:
kempus wrote:

Lol not as dramatic for the reader Wink

This makes me not want to read the rest though lol.

yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Moyes Holds a Press Conference

"It turns out I did not have colon cancer, but a severe case of hemorrhoids. Doctor had the wrong chart. However, I will not be asking for my post back at Everton and have opted to enjoy my retirement."

Better Kempus?

UofMfan909 wrote:

#DIJ
kempus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Much better, I like that.

yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preseason Matches

All in all, a good preseason. Embarrassing first game against Tel Aviv, but after that we had a good showing. Saha was out for the first game, so we didn't have anybody remotely decent up front, so it is a bit of an understandable loss I guess. Didn't expect to get anything out of the game against Roma and Villarreal, so I'm pleased we drew one of them.

Transfer Summary

And the Toffee reformation begins. The big signing was undoubtedly Christian Eriksen from Ajax. Him, Fellaini, Rodwell, and eventually Barkley will make up a formidable midfield. $1.5m up front, $8.5m over 48 months.

Every transfer in was $1.5-$2.1m up front, and the rest paid in either 12 or 48 month installments.

I also just set up a 4-1-2-1-2 to switch between throughout the season. Fellaini, Rodwell, Cahill, and Eriksen in one midfield? Yes please.

UofMfan909 wrote:

#DIJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: