Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking ahead - bye-week edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Looking ahead - bye-week edition Reply with quote

As the first portion of the season is in the books - my first take on post-season activities:

Crucial re-signs:

Houston
Hudson

Desirable re-signs:

Sherman
Bailey
Mauga
Owens
Parker

Re-signs to be considered:

Harris
McGlynn
Hemingway
Coleman
Gafford

Let walk:

Linkenbach
Vickerson
Franklin
Martin
McCray

Releases:

Fasano (cap cut)
Jenkins (performance/cap)

Initial Draft considerations:

WR
CB
ILB (DJ's heir)

DE
S
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much everything. I'd personally like to bring back Josh Martin. I think he's developing well. He just never gets to see the field behind Houston, Hali and 1st round pick Ford.

While I wouldn't be against drafting an ILB, I think that JMJ has done a great job filling in. If we use one of our 3rds (come on comp picks!) I'd be alright with it.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:42/Yds:195/TD:1/YPC:4.6
Rec:9/Yds:43/TD:2
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILB has been turrible IMO. If it's BPA in the 1st I'd grab one and wouldn't look back.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd move Hemingway up a tier and Mauga down a tier....the guy plays every snap yet he is hardly ever noticed, which means he knows what he's doing, but he's not making an impact either. Good depth, not desireable.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
I'd move Hemingway up a tier and Mauga down a tier....the guy plays every snap yet he is hardly ever noticed, which means he knows what he's doing, but he's not making an impact either. Good depth, not desireable.

That's exactly why I consider him a desirable re-sign. Continuity, and good depth. I'd take him over JMJ 10 out of 10. Next year: DJ, draft pick, Mauga, Mays, and JMJ inside - sounds like a plan?
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

That's exactly why I consider him a desirable re-sign. Continuity, and good depth. I'd take him over JMJ 10 out of 10. Next year: DJ, draft pick, Mauga, Mays, and JMJ inside - sounds like a plan?

Yeah, it's just that he's only playing cuz we have both starters injured right now and we are pretty weak against the run right now because of our ILB's. If we add a draft pick, i'm for keeping JMJ over Mauga...think he's got more upside and i'm not sure why Mauga plays so much more than him right now. It's like the Fasano over Kelce thing only not as drastic....they know the system better.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Sherman needs to be moved up a tier. Dude is the best fullback in the game and its shows in our running game when he is in.
5 punt returns - 85 yards - 0 TD
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both of our backup ilbs, but that's the problem, they should stay back-ups with occasional snaps.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Yeah, it's just that he's only playing cuz we have both starters injured right now and we are pretty weak against the run right now because of our ILB's. If we add a draft pick, i'm for keeping JMJ over Mauga...think he's got more upside and i'm not sure why Mauga plays so much more than him right now. It's like the Fasano over Kelce thing only not as drastic....they know the system better.

Mauga makes fewer plays, but he also makes fewer mistakes. JMJ normally comes out when we start putting more safeties or corners on the field, and you kind of want to avoid having the more mistake-prone player on the field during passing situations.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
24 catches, 307 yards, 3 TDs
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said...Mauga knows what he's doing. No mistakes.

samsel23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauga was flat out terrible against the 49ers. Over pursued and left a ton of cut back lanes and the 2nd half the 49ers knew they could run straight at him. JMJ was definitely better against the 49ers, although that's not saying much.

Resign Hudson, Hemingway, R. Harris, and add an outside threat and I think we're good offensively.

I think we could resign Bailey with Cap Relief from cutting DeVito.

Besides an outside threat, I want to keep adding Defensive talent in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of crucial re-signs coming up.

Hudson is a solid center, I think we need to keep him. I know Kush is waiting in the wings, but I'd like to keep some continuity. Houston may get franchised.

Parker is a solid safety, like his work with TEs and he keeps the back half safe.

Bailey is crucial I think, he's been great, finally the guy we've been looking for. Takes advantage of single teams and defends the run well. Doesn't seem like a guy who's going to quit once he gets paid either.

Harris keeps our 3-TE sets going, Owens is a great Slot Corner. I'd like to keep Vickerson too, solid size, good run defender. Teams need guys like that.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson should be our #1 priority offensively and obviously Houston defensively. As long as those 2 are locked up, I will be a happy man. (I would also really like to see Sherman + Parker).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Hudson should be our #1 priority offensively and obviously Houston defensively. As long as those 2 are locked up, I will be a happy man. (I would also really like to see Sherman + Parker).

Micah Owens and Allen Baily are must re-signs as well.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:23/Sacks:7:FF:1/FR:0
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain my definition of CRUCIAL and DESIRABLE re-signs:

CRUCIAL re-signs are those where you will be hard pressed to find appropriate replacements in either the draft or free agency, even if you are willing to spend big money. I give an extra notch of desirability to keep the current guys to maintain some kind of consistency - which I consider especially important for the OL (Hudson) after the major shake-up this year.

DESIRABLE re-signs are those where I think you can find replacements in the draft or free agency if you spend enough money. So the decision whether to keep the guys mentioned has to be made balancing financial impact, availability of replacements, consistency considerations, and body count.

Remember: The Chiefs will have ELEVEN draft picks next year, and FOUR of those in the top 100.

The latter factor actually is the reason why some guys ended up in the "TO BE CONSIDERED" category when I had put them into the "desirable" group this year. Hemingway, McGlynn, Harris all will have to be evaluated against other talent on the roster and new guys being brought in. I think we all expect the Chiefs to upgrade on WR. With Bowe, Avery (if he stays), DAT, Hammond, Wilson, plus Williams on the PS (I consider Jenkins gone) they have a group that needs a number 1/2, and probably one more. This one more could be Hemingway, it could be someone else. So it depends on his finacial demands. If he goes for something close to vet minimum he'll stay at least for camp, if he wants significantly more, he walks. The same is true for the others in that category.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: