Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mack Brown rewarded for stinking in Big 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Mack Brown rewarded for stinking in Big 12 Reply with quote

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/2012/01/25/mack-brown%E2%80%99s-contract-extension

Quote:
Just a few weeks ago, rumors were that head coach Mack Brown was going to step down or even be fired from his position. After two sub-par seasons, it wouldn’t have been a complete surprise. Apparently, just the opposite is true. According to the Austin American-Statesman, Brown’s contract is expected to be extended through the 2020 season and he will continue to receive an annual raise of $100,000.

Brown makes approximately $5.2 million a season, which puts him ahead of Nick Saban, Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer. Saban, the next highest paid coach, has won two national championships in the past three seasons. Saban currently earns less than $5 million per season. With this new contract extension, Brown will eventually earn $6 million per season.

2-6 conference record in 2010
4-5 conference record in 2011

For a school that can bring in the top recruits, mediocrity in the conference seems to be rewarding for the head coach.

Don't get me wrong, I like Texas, huge fan of quite a few players out of there (Michael Griffin, Brian Orakpo), but to reward the coach with an extension AND a raise, when he's done nothing of late?

He got some naked photos of someone over there? Laughing

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
gen. manager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, that's a good one, but you may have a point to that one lol. This makes zero sense to me. They may know something that we don't though.
Texasmade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wont be here but another 2-3 years tops. This was more as less done for recruiting purposes and to put to bed the rumors that Mack would be stepping down at the end of the season. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. Besides, its not like his 'raise' is anything substantial. $100 grande a year is couch cushion money at Texas.
nbaker1933

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine they keep him for his recruiting prowess?
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbaker1933 wrote:

Mack is certainly a likeable and relatable personality, but Texas does not lose more than 1% of recruiting power if Mack leaves.

You'd have to live in Texas to fully grasp what "UT" means, I guess.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
nbaker1933 wrote:

Mack is certainly a likeable and relatable personality, but Texas does not lose more than 1% of recruiting power if Mack leaves.

Yeah. I';m not huge on Mack. IMO I'd get an x's and O's guy since Texas recruits itself.

If you get a great X's and O's the recruiting will still fall in your favor. Therefore you have best of both worlds.

Sig bet
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a figure head at this point...
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
nbaker1933 wrote:

Yeah. I';m not huge on Mack. IMO I'd get an x's and O's guy since Texas recruits itself.

If you get a great X's and O's the recruiting will still fall in your favor. Therefore you have best of both worlds.

Art Briles put it this way "Texas doesn't recruit; they choose."
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So two bad years negate the previous 10?

I've always been one of the biggest critics of Brown but I don't see any problems with the extension.

I think it's more of a bridge because Applewhite and Harsin aren't quiet there yet.

BTW would you fire Chizik? He's had two bad years (not in succession but two years nonetheless) at Auburn.
gen. manager

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't even compare Auburn and Texas. The recruits Texas gets along with all of the Longhorn Network stuff should have Texas finish in the Top 5 EVERY year, but now they've been stumbling as of late a bit more and to me that's unacceptable for his salary and his recruiting pipeline.
Texasmade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbaker1933 wrote:
They keep him because of what he's done for the program. Texas wasn't the money printing gold mine or recruiting juggernaut it is today, pre-98'. The built in advantages have always been there but they were never capitalized on until Mack took over. There was a severe disconnect between the program and HS coaches throughout the state, just as there was with big money boosters. Mack came in and fixed all that. It's not an accident that we land 3/4's of the in-state kids we target.

Yes, 5-7 is unacceptable at a place like Texas, but Mack has earned the right to fix the mess he made, and he seems to be doing just that.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gen. manager wrote:
You can't even compare Auburn and Texas. The recruits Texas gets along with all of the Longhorn Network stuff should have Texas finish in the Top 5 EVERY year, but now they've been stumbling as of late a bit more and to me that's unacceptable for his salary and his recruiting pipeline.

The problem is, Texas gets commitments very early on compared to other schools. They get kids that are in the junior year of high school sometimes. It's very hard to project where the kids are going and how they develop.

They've stumbled twice out of 12 years? I rather have the consistency than anything.

And the recruiting pipeline is a little overblown.
ICE13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, cut Mack a little slack. Yeah, the past 2 years haven't been good, but nearly every coach will hit a rough patch. Now, if Texas goes 6-6 or 5-7 or somewhere around that again, then fine, be mad. But right now, I think Mack's shown he's more than capable of being a good coach.

"As always, criminal justice proceedings, if any, take precedence over any NCAA actions" - Mark Emmert, 1982
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's hit that rough patch that many coaches have. Mark Richt is an example, two rough years and now his program is back on the up. Same thing is gonna happen to him too.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
BurheadTitans

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments I've been reading about Mack Brown are the same things Tennessee fans were saying about Phil Fulmer. It is better to cut ties with coaches early than wait to late and end up where we are right now.
Baseball: Cincinnati Reds

Tennessee Titans (FFMD 2014) Offensive Coordinator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: