Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hold the phone, There are people who still believe 'spygate'
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was it relevant?
Yes.
77%
 77%  [ 167 ]
No.
22%
 22%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 215

tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Hold the phone, There are people who still believe 'spygate' Reply with quote

Really? It's 100% legal to tape, as long as it's from the designated taping area that ever NFL stadium is required to have. I mean heck, you can tape signals from your tivo at home if you really feel inclined.

Not only that, but it's common sense. There are hundreds of plays a team will run each year, and those change year to year and week to week. On top of that, teams frequently change their signals/hide their mouths with play sheets because every team knows every team does it. The Dolphins were caught doing it in what, 2004? They went 4-12. The Jets were caught doing it in what? 2007? They also went 4-12. Why didn't they get fines? Why wasn't there a media witch hunt over that? Because no one cares about a team if they aren't winning.

"Goodell would not have fined them if he didn't think they deserved it".

"No advantage gained"
-Roger Goodell

The whole thing that went on was because Belichick played mr. defiant and kept doing what he did in spite of the league telling him to do it elsewhere, and the media knew casual fans and simpletons would eat up any headlines that diminishes what the Patriots accomplished. Goodell overreacted and wanted to save face, while simultaneously striking down the most defiant character in the NFL and asserting his power.

So please, can people finally use some common sense and get over it? It's mindboggingly how people still believe it was relevant. "No SBs since Spygate!" Really? Patriots have the most wins of any team since then, and only the Giants, Packers, and Steelers have won a SB. I mean there have been only 5 teams who have even made the SB in that time frame, only two teams have represented the AFC in that time frame, and the Patriots were one of them. I'd say they've done pretty damn good considering they were supposed to be rebuilding.

I challenge anyone to explain how taping from the sideline as opposed the designated taping spot had any relevance on any of the SBs or playoff games under the Belichick/Brady era.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should go well...
Somefootballfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Belichick did was what I like to call "strategic bending of the rules"

He really wasn't cheating because every team did it, just he kept the tapes which is what the problem was. Other teams didn't, not just that, many teams didn't/don't use tape, they just take notes.

I think the Patriots had an advantage, but not to the extent that it's made out to be. They probably still would have won each super bowl even without doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold the phone, There are people who still believe 'spyg Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
Really? It's 100% legal to tape, as long as it's from the designated taping area that ever NFL stadium is required to have. I mean heck, you can tape signals from your tivo at home if you really feel inclined.

Not only that, but it's common sense. There are hundreds of plays a team will run each year, and those change year to year and week to week. On top of that, teams frequently change their signals/hide their mouths with play sheets because every team knows every team does it. The Dolphins were caught doing it in what, 2004? They went 4-12. The Jets were caught doing it in what? 2007? They also went 4-12. Why didn't they get fines? Why wasn't there a media witch hunt over that? Because no one cares about a team if they aren't winning.

"Goodell would not have fined them if he didn't think they deserved it".

"No advantage gained"
-Roger Goodell

The whole thing that went on was because Belichick played mr. defiant and kept doing what he did in spite of the league telling him to do it elsewhere, and the media knew casual fans and simpletons would eat up any headlines that diminishes what the Patriots accomplished. Goodell overreacted and wanted to save face, while simultaneously striking down the most defiant character in the NFL and asserting his power.

So please, can people finally use some common sense and get over it? It's mindboggingly how people still believe it was relevant. "No SBs since Spygate!" Really? Patriots have the most wins of any team since then, and only the Giants, Packers, and Steelers have won a SB. I mean there have been only 5 teams who have even made the SB in that time frame, only two teams have represented the AFC in that time frame, and the Patriots were one of them. I'd say they've done pretty damn good considering they were supposed to be rebuilding.

I challenge anyone to explain how taping from the sideline as opposed the designated taping spot had any relevance on any of the SBs or playoff games under the Belichick/Brady era.

I saw it on espn or something. Patriots are 6-6 in the postseason since spygate
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
This should go well...

Yes, I see this being the thread of the week.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Thread is going to be great!!
carnageehw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-There's no point in doing it if it doesn't get you an advantage.
-Goodell DESTROYED the tapes.

I don't think the taping gave them any super awesome advantage. It's not like any old schmoe can tape these things and gain this incredible advantage. But in the right mind (like say, one of the greatest coaches in history) it's obviously useful.

I'm also of the mind that the taping likely helped the defense more than the offense.

And finally, DESTROYING the tapes is going to forever make the situation worse. Because what's on those tapes is up to the imagination of the fans.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the difference of playing All-Madden or Rookie on Madden.

Pats were playing Rookie, now it's All-Madden and Eli is that 65 OVR linebacker that runs down Darren Sproles.

Seriously, you can't be mad at someone bending the rules trying to get an advantage, it's part of the game. The other coaches should be mad they didn't do it and benefit from it.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you sit down and think about it, was it neccesarily cheating? Maybe not, but it was tricky way to bend the rules.

I just think the Patriots went beyond the line, which is why I kinda still don't like it, but I give them credit. It was tactical!

down but not out. I still believe!
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnageehw wrote:

I don't think the taping gave them any super awesome advantage. It's not like any old schmoe can tape these things and gain this incredible advantage. But in the right mind (like say, one of the greatest coaches in history) it's obviously useful.

I'm also of the mind that the taping likely helped the defense more than the offense.

And finally, DESTROYING the tapes is going to forever make the situation worse. Because what's on those tapes is up to the imagination of the fans.

Belichick has always been 'my way or the high way'. He wanted it done one way, and did it. He flipped his finger at the league and got a fine for it.

People. TAPING IS COMPLETELY LEGAL. It has always been done.

Oh and you're wrong, the whole thing was taping defensive signals. It's amazing how since that stopped the Patriots offense has exploded.

They must be cheating some other way. Rolling Eyes

Brees that night:
bizell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
carnageehw wrote:

Belichick has always been 'my way or the high way'. He wanted it done one way, and did it. He flipped his finger at the league and got a fine for it.

People. TAPING IS COMPLETELY LEGAL. It has always been done.

Oh and you're wrong, the whole thing was taping defensive signals. It's amazing how since that stopped the Patriots offense has exploded.

They must be cheating some other way. Rolling Eyes
we don't know what the scope of spygate was because the tapes were destroyed...

sig by sucka steve
eagles101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they did cheat. they got caught. they kept cheating. then got caught again.

logical or not this is what they get for cheating.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Keleth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that anyone seriously thinks that the taping made a massive difference.
I can't honestly see any advantage that taping from somewhere you're not supposed to compared to taping from where you're supposed to.However there must be a slight or perceived slight advantage or Belichick would not have done it.
Plus I still honestly believe many other teams were doing it but merely didn't get caught.

Now as for the Tuck Rule that is a completely different matter Wink
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold the phone, There are people who still believe 'spyg Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:

I saw it on espn or something. Patriots are 6-6 in the postseason since spygate

Yes, because it's possible to have 6 post season losses in 4 seasons.

Regardless, could you please list the teams to have more post season victories than the Patriots in that span?

Brees that night:
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
well they did cheat. they got caught. they kept cheating. then got caught again.

logical or not this is what they get for cheating.

And what was this cheating?

Taping on the sidelines instead of taping from the designated taping area?

That sure does sound like the difference between a dynasty team and a top 5 pick team to me! Rolling Eyes

Brees that night:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: