Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lane Johnson agrees to 5 year extension [Details TBA]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Lane Johnson agrees to 5 year extension [Details TBA] Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 1 minute ago
#Eagles and RT Lane Johnson have agreed to terms on a 5-year extension, per league source.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Quote:
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 53 seconds ago
Eagles' deal with OT Lane Johnson: five-year extension with $35.5 million in guarantees, Max value of $63 million, source says.


Damn Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jroc04


Joined: 18 Mar 2008
Posts: 12903
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he plays like a stud LT when he takes over eventually it's a fair contract. It's probably going to be a bargain in a couple years if he keeps playing as expected.

Worse case, he's an overpaid but very good RT. Like the deal for everyone. Peters might get salty though. Don't know what the FO expects from JP in the next few years. Would either party expect a move to G? I dunno.

Good to lock up our young talent. Although I'm surprised it's not a longer contract.
_________________

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 29058
Location: South Jeezy fo sheezy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 18567
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a GREAT contract considering he'll probably be the LT by the time that extension kicks in.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.


#FREENINJA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fly eagles fly


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 12639
Location: Philly
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very reasonable contract given his age, history and projection. Any young solid starting tackle with left tackle potential will get this at minimum, especially once the cap jumps.
_________________
Win it for Jim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Thats a GREAT contract considering he'll probably be the LT by the time that extension kicks in.


I mean he's the 2nd highest paid LT if we average out the per year. The only player higher would be Trent Williams. I do think this is a lot of money to give to a guy who isn't proven at LT. I like Lane a lot, but think we should have moved him to LT this year and waited until his rookie contract was up or picked up his option for 2017 like we did with Cox. Once he proved he was a great LT then lock him up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 29058
Location: South Jeezy fo sheezy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Thats a GREAT contract considering he'll probably be the LT by the time that extension kicks in.


I mean he's the 2nd highest paid LT if we average out the per year. The only player higher would be Trent Williams. I do think this is a lot of money to give to a guy who isn't proven at LT. I like Lane a lot, but think we should have moved him to LT this year and waited until his rookie contract was up or picked up his option for 2017 like we did with Cox. Once he proved he was a great LT then lock him up.


Well, then you would be paying him even more.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Thats a GREAT contract considering he'll probably be the LT by the time that extension kicks in.


I mean he's the 2nd highest paid LT if we average out the per year. The only player higher would be Trent Williams. I do think this is a lot of money to give to a guy who isn't proven at LT. I like Lane a lot, but think we should have moved him to LT this year and waited until his rookie contract was up or picked up his option for 2017 like we did with Cox. Once he proved he was a great LT then lock him up.


Well, then you would be paying him even more.


Not that much more. The Cowboys paid Tyron Smith last year on a deal that averaged 12.2 million. We paid Lane an average of 12.6. I'd rather wait a year for him to prove himself on the left side and pay a bit more than signing him to the 2nd highest per year for a LT. No way he should be getting more guaranteed and per year than Tyron Smith who just signed last off-season and is proven as a top LT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jroc04


Joined: 18 Mar 2008
Posts: 12903
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a considerable amount if he's a RT but he'd be one of the best RTs in the league. So, it's not even bad if he busts at LT. Plus, the contract isn't very long so the Eagles protected themselves if he doesn't hack it at LT.

Probably better to keep him happy with the FO than making him sweat it out and possibly be a little disgruntled. We know he can play RT very well. I think it's a win-win for the FO. And if Lane proves he can be a dominate LT, he'll get paid again in a few years I'd imagine.
_________________

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the full details of the contract. I bet there is incentives he will need to reach to get that max value. The contract may be closer to 10 million per year than 13 million if he doesn't reach those incentives. If he does reach the incentives none of us will be upset with him getting all that money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 18567
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRM maybe great was an overstatement but to lock up your future LT until he's 31 sounds like a win in my book. It may be right on par with other LTs but the security and control of the contract in comparison to his projections of not only the player but future contracts at his position is where the Eagles made out IMO.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.


#FREENINJA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
It's a considerable amount if he's a RT but he'd be one of the best RTs in the league. So, it's not even bad if he busts at LT.


This is incorrect. If he busts at LT then its a bad deal. The top paid RT rn is getting like 6.7 mill per year. We need him to be a good LT and I think he is capable. My only gripe is that I would have wanted is him to be proven there before he got his big pay day. He hasn't got much of a chance to play at LT, but when he has we have got mixed results. I can't judge him too harshly for his play there as he usually only had short notice to get ready to play there and its different playing LT than RT as everything is switched.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jroc04


Joined: 18 Mar 2008
Posts: 12903
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Thats a GREAT contract considering he'll probably be the LT by the time that extension kicks in.


I mean he's the 2nd highest paid LT if we average out the per year. The only player higher would be Trent Williams. I do think this is a lot of money to give to a guy who isn't proven at LT. I like Lane a lot, but think we should have moved him to LT this year and waited until his rookie contract was up or picked up his option for 2017 like we did with Cox. Once he proved he was a great LT then lock him up.


Well, then you would be paying him even more.


Not that much more. The Cowboys paid Tyron Smith last year on a deal that averaged 12.2 million. We paid Lane an average of 12.6. I'd rather wait a year for him to prove himself on the left side and pay a bit more than signing him to the 2nd highest per year for a LT. No way he should be getting more guaranteed and per year than Tyron Smith who just signed last off-season and is proven as a top LT.


Smith's contract, albeit not guaranteed was for almost $100 million. That's what a dominate LT gets now. The Eagles have him at a competitive LT salary on a per year basis but didn't have to fully commit to him. Pretty fair and savvy move I think. Like I said, he's still a very good RT. It's not like he'll bust and will be a drain. Worse case, he's an overpaid but qualified RT.
_________________

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 7989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
TRM maybe great was an overstatement but to lock up your future LT until he's 31 sounds like a win in my book. It may be right on par with other LTs but the security and control of the contract in comparison to his projections of not only the player but future contracts at his position is where the Eagles made out IMO.


It will certainly be a great deal if he proves to be a franchise LT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group