Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

H.O.T V.3 - Training Camp Begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brian Banks spent five years in prison for a rape he didn’t commit. Now, after being exonerated of his rape charge, the former top prep prospect is trying out for the Seattle Seahawks, according to ESPN.

Updated 2:42 p.m.: The Seahawks have confirmed that Banks will try out with the Seahawks on June 7.

Banks’ conviction was overturned last week after the alleged victim, a high-school acquaintance, admitted that the decade-old sexual encounter was consensual. Then 16, he had pleaded no contest at the advice of his lawyer. For years, the woman didn’t want to risk a $1.5 million judgment she won in connection to the 2002 case.

Back then, Banks was a star linebacker at Long Beach Polytechnic High School and was being recruited by several powerhouse college football programs. Before the rape accusation, he had committed to USC when Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll was with the Trojans.

Carroll is still interested in Banks, it seems — he will work out with the Seahawks on June 7, Banks told ESPN’s Rick Reilly.

“I’ll make ‘em happy,” Banks, 26, told Reilly on Tuesday. “After all I’ve been through these last 10 years, I can still do some things that will impress you.”

Here’s some more info from ESPN:

Upon his release from prison and before his exoneration last week, Banks had trouble finding work because he had to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet, was a registered sex offender and had a felony record.

His lawyer, Justin Brooks, has said Banks has been training six days a week to get in shape for a career in football.

“He has the speed and the strength. He certainly has the heart,” Brooks said. “I hope he gets the attention of people in the sports world.”

Banks, who was a 6-foot-4, 225-pound middle linebacker in his senior year of high school, has reportedly also gotten calls from the Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins. He reportedly also got a job offer to work in the front office of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Seahawks linebacker squad already has such names as Leroy Hill and K.J. Wright, and first- and second-round draft picks Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner. But hey, it can’t hurt to try out another potential star.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2012/05/30/report-exonerated-of-rape-brian-banks-to-try-out-for-seahawks/
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a crazy story - I hope he catches on with some team. I can't even imagine how he'd look in camp after being away from football. PS Squadder for a while I imagine.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine he has the best chance to stick with us due to his history with Pete.
imani

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you not like Pete Carroll?

Damn, if the Seahawks get success from irvin and even this kid.....it'll be the turn around story of the decade

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Dr.Seahawk

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
How can you not like Pete Carroll?

Damn, if the Seahawks get success from irvin and even this kid.....it'll be the turn around story of the decade

Agreed.

I hope this kid can still ball. I'll be keepin an eye on this.
moomin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a feeling this kid would end up trying out for us
imani

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Jones-versatility-key-for-Seahawks/35104281-62a9-4162-b6e2-f97516b27b58

articles on one of seattles key additions, jason jones

Quote:
Jason Jones just looks the part.

Which part? Being able to provide some needed pass in the nickel defense from the three-technique tackle spot? Yeah, that part.

But also occasionally sliding out to the five-technique end spot to give Red Bryant a rest? Yeah, that part, too.

It is the ability of the long-limbed Jones to help in a couple of needed roles that made him attractive to the Seahawks in free agency. While it might have been one of those under-the-radar transactions back in March, his performance in the team’s OTA practices have definitely been more than just blips.

Like Wednesday, when the 6-foot-5, 276-pound Jones used his speed from the tackle spot to blow up one play and then displayed some strength on the edge to stuff another play that was coming his way.

What part of Jones’ game stands out most? “He’s real long,” center Max Unger said after the two-hour practice. “A guy with long arms can create a bunch of issues, especially inside where you usually have a little more compact type of player. So with a guy like that, who’s real long, it’s a different set of rules you’ve kind of got to follow when you’re blocking somebody like that.”

Did someone say long arms? Jones’ are that, and then some. They were measured at 36 3/8th inches at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2008, when he was selected in the second round of the draft by the Tennessee Titans.

Not bad for a late-comer to the sport who grew up with Hoop Dreams, rather than visions of chasing down quarterbacks in the NFL. He didn’t start playing football until his junior year at Lathrup High School in Southfield, Mich., and ended up at Eastern Michigan University because it was the only school to offer him a football scholarship.

“I was hoops,” Jones said. “I grew up watching Michael Jordan. I grew up with the ‘Bad Boys’ – the Pistons, Isaiah Thomas and all those guys. So I grew up a basketball fan.”

One of his three brothers played basketball at the University of Detroit.

“So I grew up watching and going to his games and just sitting downstairs with my dad watching basketball,” Jones said.

He also played tight end early in his football career, but that ended when he got to Eastern Michigan.

“I tried the tight end route. That quickly stopped in college,” Jones said.

What was the issue? “Staying on my feet,” he said with a large smile. “I could catch the ball, but I couldn’t get the yards afterward.”

So defensive end it was. Just like football it was, after Jones decided a free education was the way to go.

But what brought him to the Seahawks?

“Really, they showed me the most love out here,” Jones said.

Playing on a young defense that ranked ninth in the NFL last season – and at a raucous venue that plays to the strength of the defense – didn’t hurt the Seahawks’ in their recruiting effort, either.

Jones on the swagger of the Seahawks’ defense: “I’ve noticed it, just watching them on film. We played similar opponents last year, and just watching them on film they fly around to the ball. We have a Pro Bowl secondary. We have a great D-line with Red, (Brandon) Mebane and all the other guys. So I just came here to add my little thing to it. So I think, yeah, we do have a little swagger about us. We’re very confident as a defense.”

Jones on playing at CenturyLink Field: “For me, playing under the 12th Man as a D-lineman has a great advantage. So we’ve got to get those fans rowdy and get them going.”

He has ventured into the noise factory that is CenturyLink Field in the past – during the 2009 regular-season finale and also for a preseason game in 2010.

With the Titans, Jones had five of his career 15.5 sacks as a rookie. He produced a career-best 39 tackles in 2010. That was while playing as a tackle, and Jones admits he struggled with the dual role of tackle/end last season. It’s the reason he decided to sign a one-year contract with the Seahawks.

“Last year was kind of an off year for me,” he said. “So that one-year deal, that’s the strategy – come back next year and hopefully I can get a long-term deal.”

Unless looks are really deceiving, Jones is heading in that direction.

“Jason has come in here to help a pass rush that needs help,” coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday night during a Town Hall meeting with fans at CenturyLink Field. “We wanted to build that thing up. Jason has already shown he’s got the wiggle and the kind of finesse and the stuff that you’re looking for.

“So that was a real good addition for us.”

That’s why Jones is here, to add to what’s already there.

“My athletic ability. My playing-making abilities,” he said when asked what he brings to the mix. “That’s why they brought me here and I’m glad to be out here in Seattle and I hope to enjoy my time here.”

imani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Golden Tate still suffering from broken hand**

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-06-01/golden-tate-seattle-seahawks-wr-breaks-hand-expected-to-return-for-start-of-trai

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate has been missing organized team activities because of a broken hand, but the team expects him to be ready for the start of training camp, according to an ESPN report. Tate suffered the injury in OTAs last week.

Tate, entering his third season, came on at the end of last season after a slow start to his career. He has a chance to start this season, with Sidney Rice, up-and-comer Doug Baldwin, Mike Williams and Ben Obomanu also in the mix.

Tate isn’t the only Seahawks receiver with injury issus. Rice is coming off surgery on both shoulders, and Williams is recovering from late-season ankle surgery.

Tate started the final five games last season and put up 19 receptions for 209 yards in those contests. For the season, he had 35 catches for 382 yards and three touchdowns.

Baldwin, an undrafted rookie last year, led the Seahawks with 51 catches for 788 yards and four TDs.

With the addition of quarterback Matt Flynn and tight end Kellen Winslow, the Seahawks are hoping for a much-improved passing game this season.

imani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Baldwin Impressing, caps off this year's OTA's nicely

http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/06/01/baldwins-beauty/

Quote:
The Seahawks not only wrapped up the second week of their OTA practices today, Doug Baldwin wrapped a bow around the drizzle-drenched session with a one-handed catch that had to be seen to really appreciate.
Since that can’t happen, an explanation will have to suffice.

“It was a regular corner route,” said Baldwin, the team’s leading receiver as a rookie last season. “The nickel corner that was playing me (rookie Jeremy Lane) kind of leaned to the outside, so I had to go over the top of him and Matt (Flynn) put the ball in a place where only I could get it.
Even more impressive was why Baldwin made the one-handed grab for a 35-yard gain.

“You use these practices like a project, so sometimes you do things you wouldn’t normally do to try and make yourself better,” he said. “So I’m working on my ability to go up in different ways to catch the ball.”
The QB rotation system continued, with rookie Russell Wilson up first in the two-hour practice, followed by Flynn and then incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson.

Wilson kicked off one of the team drills with a nice throw that followed an even better read on a play that produced an up-the-seam touchdown pass to tight end Anthony McCoy. Wilson later completed six of seven passes and also scrambled for a couple of first downs in a drive that started at the 12-yard line to get the offense in a first-and-goal situation at the 8. But the drive stalled when free safety Chris Maragos and linebacker K.J. Wright made impressive plays on a pair of 1-yard gains and tight end Kellen Winslow couldn’t get both feet down on a third-and-6 pass into the end zone.

Some other notes:

Quote:
Other highlights included rookie middle linebacker Bobby Wagner and rookie safety Winston Guy intercepting passes and Steve Hauschka drilling a 47-yard field goal.

The players are off until Monday, when they return for the final four OTA practices next week.

sirensong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they just name Flynn the starter with Wilson as his back up and cut TJax already? I want to see Flynn getting all the 1st team reps and jackson clearly isnt going to cut it.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Raiders used this it would be ROT Laughing
imani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
If the Raiders used this it would be ROT Laughing

New England and Carolina would break forum rules...

SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I heard Big Mike still isn't practicing with that ankle injury?

2. Golden Tate needs to get on the field if he expects to MAKE this team. We are so deep at wide out now that no one's job is safe.

3. I think my favorite part of that Doug Baldwin catch is how he said Flynn put it in a spot only he could get it. I think these two are going to love each other Mr. Green
Sacks98

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:

2. Golden Tate needs to get on the field if he expects to MAKE this team. We are so deep at wide out now that no one's job is safe.

3. I think my favorite part of that Doug Baldwin catch is how he said Flynn put it in a spot only he could get it. I think these two are going to love each other Mr. Green

Yea but i think it's a broken foot not an ankle injury that he is recovering from i could be wrong though.
imani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

Yea but i think it's a broken foot not an ankle injury that he is recovering from i could be wrong though.

look about 5 posts up, i tried to put it in huge letters to make it noticeable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 40 of 100

Jump to: