Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manning Version 2.0 - Heading to Denver. Locker Era Begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lamont


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 3919
Location: tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$25 million a year for fivehead? Seriously Bud...where was the rest of your "super bowl" winning team going to come from when you have $25 mil tied up in a QB with possible career ending injury one hit away?

I am so glad he did not sign here. Applause
_________________

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5651
Location: TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now does everyone understand how Bud was at fault for the inability to bring one of the top C's on board? Hard to really talk contract with anyone when the owner is busy tying up 20+% of the cap to one player at a position not of need...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 27557
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
Now does everyone understand how Bud was at fault for the inability to bring one of the top C's on board? Hard to really talk contract with anyone when the owner is busy tying up 20+% of the cap to one player at a position not of need...
Agreed. Just thinking about Amano potentially starting when we had a solid shot at Myers and a great shot at Wells makes me shed tears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5651
Location: TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
Now does everyone understand how Bud was at fault for the inability to bring one of the top C's on board? Hard to really talk contract with anyone when the owner is busy tying up 20+% of the cap to one player at a position not of need...
Agreed. Just thinking about Amano potentially starting when we had a solid shot at Myers and a great shot at Wells makes me shed tears.


Instead of saving up that 25/year for Manning, they could have given Mario 15/year, and given some of that 35M they gave Wimbely to Wells. Still would have left enough money to sign Griff and everyone else they signed this offseason... and then some...

C'est la vie...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4331
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol 25 million. I wouldn't have even paid Peyton 1 million. Hasn't played in a year, and last time he did play he showed signs of slowing down. Plus if you were to offer me the choice of Hasselbeck or Manning, at Hass' current contract, I would pick Hass every time. Manning doesn't give a crap about mentoring anybody and only cares about himself. Wouldn't do anything at all for Locker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dionysus


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 1774
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understood, I thought Hasselbeck and Locker already had a pre-existing relationship before they came to Tennessee. I thought Matt-Hass was mentoring Locker when they were both still in Washington playing for their respective teams. But I saw a clip on NFL Network with Hass talking on the Podcast show, saying that he really didn't know Locker when he was coming to Tennessee, and only heard some good things about him. Then he got to work with him and know him better, and liked him and all that. I was like WTF?! And I'm still like WTF?! Somebody help me out here. What's the real story behind this and how did this confusion with their supposed history come about? My head is still spinning over here.
_________________
HEALTH STATEMENT: I'm not "fat", just well nutritioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MrOneWayRoad


Joined: 19 Mar 2010
Posts: 1359
Location: Tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
From what I understood, I thought Hasselbeck and Locker already had a pre-existing relationship before they came to Tennessee. I thought Matt-Hass was mentoring Locker when they were both still in Washington playing for their respective teams. But I saw a clip on NFL Network with Hass talking on the Podcast show, saying that he really didn't know Locker when he was coming to Tennessee, and only heard some good things about him. Then he got to work with him and know him better, and liked him and all that. I was like WTF?! And I'm still like WTF?! Somebody help me out here. What's the real story behind this and how did this confusion with their supposed history come about? My head is still spinning over here.


I honestly have no clue.

They had probably been in the same building at some point in their lives prior to Locker being drafted. So when we signed Hasselbeck, it got twisted into them being good ole buddies. Laughing

At least that's my guess.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4331
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
From what I understood, I thought Hasselbeck and Locker already had a pre-existing relationship before they came to Tennessee. I thought Matt-Hass was mentoring Locker when they were both still in Washington playing for their respective teams. But I saw a clip on NFL Network with Hass talking on the Podcast show, saying that he really didn't know Locker when he was coming to Tennessee, and only heard some good things about him. Then he got to work with him and know him better, and liked him and all that. I was like WTF?! And I'm still like WTF?! Somebody help me out here. What's the real story behind this and how did this confusion with their supposed history come about? My head is still spinning over here.


I think you may have misheard or misunderstood. Both Jake and Matt have said numerous times that they were good friends/Matt mentored him even when he was in college.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 27557
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
From what I understood, I thought Hasselbeck and Locker already had a pre-existing relationship before they came to Tennessee. I thought Matt-Hass was mentoring Locker when they were both still in Washington playing for their respective teams. But I saw a clip on NFL Network with Hass talking on the Podcast show, saying that he really didn't know Locker when he was coming to Tennessee, and only heard some good things about him. Then he got to work with him and know him better, and liked him and all that. I was like WTF?! And I'm still like WTF?! Somebody help me out here. What's the real story behind this and how did this confusion with their supposed history come about? My head is still spinning over here.


I think you may have misheard or misunderstood. Both Jake and Matt have said numerous times that they were good friends/Matt mentored him even when he was in college.
That's not actually the case. Obviously the two knew of each other, but they barely knew each other at the time of the draft.
Quote:
Jakes great. Hes been awesome, Hasselbeck said. It was a weird thing with the lockout last year. He was drafted by the Titans and then free agency happened after that. I had a choice to sign and I knew a lot of times you get signed before and then you dont know what the teams going to do in the draft. This was a situation where they drafted him, he becomes their guy of the future, the guy theyre committed to and invested in. I didnt really know him well but I think that was a positive for me going into it. In my mind I was like, Heres a young guy whos really talented, who seems like a great guy, everybody I know says hes a great guy, hell be fun to work with and compete with.

Hasselbeck said that as much as he was optimistic about a good working relationship with Locker, the relationship has exceeded his expectations.

Its been ten times better, Hasselbeck said. Hes a better kid than Ive heard, hes a better thrower than Ive heard, hes much smarter in the classroom than I would have expected for someone his age. So its been really good, its been really fun, my kids love him and the whole quarterback room in general is really good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/hasselbeck-loves-locker/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4331
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
From what I understood, I thought Hasselbeck and Locker already had a pre-existing relationship before they came to Tennessee. I thought Matt-Hass was mentoring Locker when they were both still in Washington playing for their respective teams. But I saw a clip on NFL Network with Hass talking on the Podcast show, saying that he really didn't know Locker when he was coming to Tennessee, and only heard some good things about him. Then he got to work with him and know him better, and liked him and all that. I was like WTF?! And I'm still like WTF?! Somebody help me out here. What's the real story behind this and how did this confusion with their supposed history come about? My head is still spinning over here.


I think you may have misheard or misunderstood. Both Jake and Matt have said numerous times that they were good friends/Matt mentored him even when he was in college.
That's not actually the case. Obviously the two knew of each other, but they barely knew each other at the time of the draft.
Quote:
Jakes great. Hes been awesome, Hasselbeck said. It was a weird thing with the lockout last year. He was drafted by the Titans and then free agency happened after that. I had a choice to sign and I knew a lot of times you get signed before and then you dont know what the teams going to do in the draft. This was a situation where they drafted him, he becomes their guy of the future, the guy theyre committed to and invested in. I didnt really know him well but I think that was a positive for me going into it. In my mind I was like, Heres a young guy whos really talented, who seems like a great guy, everybody I know says hes a great guy, hell be fun to work with and compete with.

Hasselbeck said that as much as he was optimistic about a good working relationship with Locker, the relationship has exceeded his expectations.

Its been ten times better, Hasselbeck said. Hes a better kid than Ive heard, hes a better thrower than Ive heard, hes much smarter in the classroom than I would have expected for someone his age. So its been really good, its been really fun, my kids love him and the whole quarterback room in general is really good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/hasselbeck-loves-locker/


That contradicts everything I've ever heard about their relationship prior to them coming to the Titans, then...

Doesn't make any sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 27557
Location: Props to Smack on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2011:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/jerrybrewer/2015875160_brewer11.html
Quote:
Hasselbeck and Locker first met about three years ago at a Washington women's basketball game. Hasselbeck was with his children and went to the concession stand for a beverage. A college student tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey, Matt, I just wanted to introduce myself," the student said.

Hasselbeck thought the student was a tight end or a linebacker. When the student extended his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Jake Locker," Hasselbeck was stunned.

"Ohmigosh, dude, you're huge!" Hasselbeck said.

Over the years, they have been friendly, swapping text messages. But a true relationship didn't begin to develop until the NFL lockout began in March. They found themselves both working out at UW on several occasions. They didn't figure they would soon be teammates.

Locker is impressed with Hasselbeck's willingness to mentor him.

"He's great with me," Locker said. "Obviously, yeah, we're competing, but it's not, 'Hey, I'm going to try to screw you so I can be the guy.' He's really willing to help, and anytime I need any kind of help, he's there for me. It's been a great couple of weeks here getting to know him and getting to work with him. It's another piece of the puzzle that I'm very thankful to have."

Essentially, they knew each other, but they didn't really have much of a relationship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87
Page 87 of 87

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group