Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Now wouldn't this be an interesting trade...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtBDan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Now wouldn't this be an interesting trade... Reply with quote

Okay I desperately want Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas out of this draft. The only thing the Vikings need (in my opinion) to be a Super Bowl calibur team is a defensive leader. We have pro bowlers, we've gotten defense, we're young and we're improving, we have veteran leadership... but we don't have "THE" guy. We don't have a Ray Lewis or a Sean Taylor etc. just known as the defensive leader. And I'd love to get one in Derrick Johnson.

So I was just thinking that Scott Linehan went to Miami as o-coordinator, and would probably trade for Bennett if it weren't too much.

And then it hit me.

Pick #7 & Michael Bennett for pick #2

we draft Derrick Johnson

I don't know if that's realistic (I doubt it), but I'd love for it to happen. Your thoughts?
Vikings fan.
LION KING

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your defense needing a lift, but with Moss going to Oakland you need a star wr for Dante to throw too.

I see ya hanging at 7th pick and hoping Williams drops too ya if he does hes your stud wr too replace Moss.

Then at your own pick draft Best Defense player avialable.

Minn is going to be fine without Moss one player dont make or break a team but geting 3 good players for one other will make ya better.

Geting 1 first rounder and then geting LB and also keeping your own 1st rounder thats 3 players to improve your team!!

Just dont trade your extra pick that you got for Moss.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
mossman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like for the Phins to agree to that trade. Even with Linehan, though, I dont think they'll do it. Bennet isn't their kind of back. MAybe Onterrio or someone like him. We will not draft a reciever thoguh at number seven. Maybe at 18 we'll draft Clayton or Williamson or we could draft Matt Jones from Arkansas with a 5th rounder or something. Matt Jones is 6'6. Desides, Mike Willams ran a 4.59 in the 40.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins wouldn't do that. You seem to think the Vikings are the only team that knows Bennet sucks. It's no secret. The Phins wouldn't do that trade. Just look at the premier backs they have to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
Dolphins wouldn't do that. You seem to think the Vikings are the only team that knows Bennet sucks. It's no secret. The Phins wouldn't do that trade. Just look at the premier backs they have to choose from.

Well I wouldn't say Bennett sucks, that's your Packer bias clearly showing. Bennett's problem is he's always injured.

Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams.. Exactly. One of those three will be available at #7, and it might just be the guy the Fins want anyway, so I can definitely seeing them trade down.

However, even in a thin draft where #7 is technically nearly as valuable, Bennett alone isn't going to be enough. Even with the absence of a current clear franchise QB, it would probably take Bennett or Onterrio, our high first, and our third round pick at minimum.

Not worth it when we'll get an impact player, and Johnson might just fall. I don't know if I'm ready to label a fast, turnover producing, but admittedly soft on run defense outside linebacker as a team leader. Especially not as a rookie.

Remember that some people considered Arrington a bust after his first year, and that Johnson probably won't work miracles with the Vikings if he is the pick. I certainly don't see him as a team leader. I watched games of him this year, and the first thing that stood out for me was that he's the kind of guy that you can take out of the game by running at him.

Kevin Williams is the only one talented enough to step up as a true defensive team leader, but realistically the Vikings will continue to look to Chavous as their leader.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UtBDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I read somewhere I think on yahoo that Scott Linehan was one of the people responsible for drafting Bennett (not sure if that's true), and that's why I thought that might work out.
Vikings fan.
Fartman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett was a Denny pick. Linehan was still at Louisville.
UtBDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fartman wrote:
Bennett was a Denny pick. Linehan was still at Louisville.

damn Sad lol
Vikings fan.
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the vikings do need a number 1 reciever they need D MUCH more. So I say trade one of the four backs we have the #7 overall, and a 4th rd pick to the 'phins for their number 2. Then draft DJ. With the 18th overall pick draft whichever ones available, either Troy Williamson of USC-south carolina or Mark Clayton. One will be available.
T0wer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you guys need to remember is Pep had his best year yet, with moss hurt through most of it. Didn't he have like 500 yards vs the eagles without moss?
Alobar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not do something like this.....truly a shot in the dark but hey, its an idea.....why not trade our 18 and next years 1st and 3rd...for the number 2 this year....i dont think the fish can even afford a top ten salary as it stands, and (hopefully) our nex years picks will be very low anyways....i dont know if i im in dreamland here or not, but it was just a thought that popped into my head
tdawg72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Reply with quote

I think the thing to remember is that
A. Bennett is not that bad when he's not hurt (which isn't often), and for those who say he doesn't have trade value there was another speed Viking back who was injured the first FOUR years of his career...Robert Smith. Bennett [i]definitely[/i] has trade value.
B. The sad thing is that what, then, is his value? I truly don't believe Derrick Johnson will land past Romeo Crennel at #3 (Lord knows he understands the value of good linebackers) so our only way of FOR SURE getting him is to make this deal.
C. The sad thing is that our most likely trade partner for Bennett is probably Denny in Arizona. He drafted him, and being a complete ego-maniac will probably want to aquire him just to prove the rest of the NFL wrong. Saban seems dead-set on re-making the team with a fresh start, if he wants to get rid of Surtain then it looks like he wants to start over. Bennett will unfortunately probably merit a third rounder (hopefully a second) in a draft loaded with running backs.

Love the trade UtBDan. Derrick Johnson will DOMINATE, and it makes a lot of sense for both sides. Nick Saban, use your head!
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if if Arizona will be the only team to want Bennet, lets trade Bennet and the number 18 to the Cards. Then trade our 7 and (then) 8 to the dolphins and draft DJ. With the soon signing of Plex (Hopefully) well have all the offense we need

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: