Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings sign former Panthers OL Geoff Schwartz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, DeGeare was demoted to the PS last year.

So, this signing may be insurance against DeGeare not improving as hoped.

Schwartz, Fusco, Berger, Johnson, Love and DeGeare as potential starters at LG, RG.

Berger or Fusco would back up Sullivan.

The only position left open is LT.

It is possible that the move is primarily what it is, but also a 'smoke screen' by Spielman to make other teams think the Vikings are now set on the OL and will take Claiborne or Blackmon or Tannehill, or are open to a trade.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson is still the starting LT on this team until someone beats him out/replaces him.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Johnson is still the starting LT on this team until someone beats him out/replaces him.

I agree, did the whole moving Johnson notion come from a fan or a team source? Why would we carry 5 guards, and move Johnson over ? That makes no sense what so ever. Johnson will do while we groom our rookie LT not named Matt. Laughing
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Johnson will do while we groom our rookie LT not named Matt. Laughing

i wonder if that's what they'll sew on to the guy's jersey back...

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
Johnson will do while we groom our rookie LT not named Matt. Laughing

i wonder if that's what they'll sew on to the guy's jersey back...

Nah...his name will be "Wow...I coulda had Matt! What was I thinking?"
AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of him.
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
Panthers11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid player, cool dude. Follow him on twitter.
His brother is in the draft this year as well, an OT out of Cal.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

I agree, did the whole moving Johnson notion come from a fan or a team source? Why would we carry 5 guards, and move Johnson over ? That makes no sense what so ever. Johnson will do while we groom our rookie LT not named Matt. Laughing

Came directly from Frazier right after the season ended, and it's been repeated a few times this offseason. Not saying it's a for-sure move, but the coaching staff thinks he could be a great guard inside.

I think people who move him to G are doing so assuming the team picks up a LT before the season starts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikesGuy07 wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Came directly from Frazier right after the season ended, and it's been repeated a few times this offseason. Not saying it's a for-sure move, but the coaching staff thinks he could be a great guard inside.

I think people who move him to G are doing so assuming the team picks up a LT before the season starts.

Not all the OGs or OL will make the final 53 man roster. Some will be cut.

Brown, Loadholt and Johnson are the OTs as of now, unless I forgot someone.

The roster might have 3 OTs and 4 OGs including Schwartz, who could also backup RT, and Fusco could backup Sullivan.

It seems like a LT drafted would complete the OL rebuild.

The 1 year contract for Schwartz gives the Vikings a year to see which of the young interior OL are worth committing to for a 3 - 4 yr contract.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Schwartz is a very pedestrian signing. I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would assume he'd be offered anywhere close to $4 million. Never the less, he's a G/RT with versatility and could double as a swing-man if he's not starting. Based on the lack of quality depth along the interior of the offensive line, I'd say he'll get a fairly good opportunity to start at RG moving forward this season. He's an average, unspectacular player, but there's some untapped ability. Charlie Johnson should be an improved performer when he moves in to guard. While Hutch is certainly on the decline, it's hard to argue our offensive line will be much better next season. All starts with Kalil, of course.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
Geoff Schwartz is a very pedestrian signing. I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would assume he'd be offered anywhere close to $4 million. Never the less, he's a G/RT with versatility and could double as a swing-man if he's not starting. Based on the lack of quality depth along the interior of the offensive line, I'd say he'll get a fairly good opportunity to start at RG moving forward this season. He's an average, unspectacular player, but there's some untapped ability. Charlie Johnson should be an improved performer when he moves in to guard. While Hutch is certainly on the decline, it's hard to argue our offensive line will be much better next season. All starts with Kalil, of course.

Well then, he will be on the decline for the Titans, no?
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:

Well then, he will be on the decline for the Titans, no?

You'd certainly expect as much, but the experience and presence he offers/offered was what made him valuable. He just can't stay healthy at this point -- whether on the field or not.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

That is a link to sportslines Top 100 free agents. According to them - Geoff Schwartz was number 42. They have Hutch rated 89. So clearly there are some that would say that the Vikings upgraded their roster at the guard position with a younger player. That's what rebuilding is all about!
minnvikes22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
IIRC, DeGeare was demoted to the PS last year.

So, this signing may be insurance against DeGeare not improving as hoped.

Schwartz, Fusco, Berger, Johnson, Love and DeGeare as potential starters at LG, RG.

Berger or Fusco would back up Sullivan.

The only position left open is LT.

It is possible that the move is primarily what it is, but also a 'smoke screen' by Spielman to make other teams think the Vikings are now set on the OL and will take Claiborne or Blackmon or Tannehill, or are open to a trade.

And you would be happy with one of those guys at LG Shocked . Everyone just thinks that Johnson will move down to LG and be this stud player. I don't see that happening. He will be a backup for the tackle position. I still see LG as a week spot and think the Vikings should really look at adding 1 in this draft because I think this class is deep at interior lineman.. Thats what I would do...
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this for Geoff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: