Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JD's "official" PITTSBURGH PIRATES thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you not be a Huntington fan? He's quickly turned around a Pirates team and almost got them to .500, after being beyond mediocre for so many years. I do like the experience in our starting pitching now with Burnett-Wandy-JMac-Liriano
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Plenty of rumors flying around regarding Joel Hanrahan. The Dogers and Red Sox are really interested in him. I would say it's a matter of when not if the Bucs deal him. With the resigning of Jason Grilli he most likely would take over the closer duties when The Hammer is traded.

Let him go and hopefully get a few bats!

I can't say I watched a bunch of games last year but from what I did see and speaking to my father I was never confident with Hammer. Seemed like he would walk at least one guy an appearance.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Plenty of rumors flying around regarding Joel Hanrahan. The Dogers and Red Sox are really interested in him. I would say it's a matter of when not if the Bucs deal him. With the resigning of Jason Grilli he most likely would take over the closer duties when The Hammer is traded.

I can't say I watched a bunch of games last year but from what I did see and speaking to my father I was never confident with Hammer. Seemed like he would walk at least one guy an appearance.

He still saved 36/40 opportunities, which is pretty decent with a 2.72 ERA. Yes, he walked a lot of guys, and many times I didn't have full confidence in him, but he gets the job done almost all the time.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
He still saved 36/40 opportunities, which is pretty decent with a 2.72 ERA. Yes, he walked a lot of guys, and many times I didn't have full confidence in him, but he gets the job done almost all the time.

yeah... but like you said its only a matter of when and not if...

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:

Reading an article from Boston they said the Pirates might want pitching back for Hanrahan. However, with the signing of Liriano that might change now. I'm with you I rather get some bats back for Hanrahan.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the official trade between the Pirates and Red Sox:

RP Joel Hanrahan
2B Brock Holt

to the Red Sox for:

OF/1B Jerry Sands
RP Mark Melancon
INF Ivan DeJesus, Jr.
RP Stolmy Pimental

Best of luck to The Hammer in Beantown. A little surprised that Holt was included in the deal but with Walker at 2B he didn't have much of a shot playing there. Melancon had a nice year in Houston a couple of years ago. I'm hopiong that DeJesus can be the SS of the future. He and Sands were highly regarded prospects in the LA organization at one time. Pimental was a guy that the Pirates wanted in the Bay deal years back but were refused. Tough to see Hanrahan go but I am glad that they didn't get back older players who wouldn't have a future here after one season. If a couple of these guys can pan out then it's a good deal. Hanrahan would be a FA after this season anyway.

Is Garrett Jones the next to possibly be traded?

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely angry that Holt was sent. Barmes is a terrible hitter and a wildy inconsistent fielder. Harrison is not an MLB caliber player. Holt was developing into a great top of the line-up hitter and improving on his hitting. He also had very good speed. We didn't even get top-notch prospects for this deal.

Does this organization actually pay attention to baseball?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Extremely angry that Holt was sent. Barmes is a terrible hitter and a wildy inconsistent fielder. Harrison is not an MLB caliber player. Holt was developing into a great top of the line-up hitter and improving on his hitting. He also had very good speed. We didn't even get top-notch prospects for this deal.

I thought they could have shift him from second to short since he was blocked by Walker. Considering they don't have any top SS prospects I don't understand why they at least didn't try it.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

I thought they could have shift him from second to short since he was blocked by Walker. Considering they don't have any top SS prospects I don't understand why they at least didn't try it.

Alen Hanson?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Alen Hanson?

Oops, I should have been more specific. No SS prospects ready to take over this year instead of Barmes. Chase D'Arnaud and Jordy Mercer aren't the answer.

The Curtain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around the MLB. There are very few answers for any team at SS, at least not in the caliber of an All-Star player or anything. Barmes is good enough defensively to where he can play for us. Anything with the bat is a bonus.

An area that Neal Huntington might be the best GM in baseball at, is picking up relief pitching for nothing, getting great performances out of it, and then turning it around after a few seasons to try and fill the Pirates needs. Even if you're not a big fan of his, give him credit there. Hammer was great for us, and we got him when he was at rock bottom and gave up next to nothing for him. Sands/DeJesus are a nice haul for the Hammer, since he looked rough at times last season and who knows how he'll do in Boston, his arm might be falling off at this point.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this thread... too many players in baseball for my old mind to pay attention to Wink... so I enjoy the knowledge and insight you all give to me.

Hope this trade works out big in the long run for the Buccos!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holt is a singles hitter that plays with below average defense and range...he's a utility guy.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Holt is a singles hitter that plays with below average defense and range...he's a utility guy.

Range was an issue, but defense? I didn't see him as below average at all. He was solid, but nothing special. I did see him becoming more comfortable and consistent, however. He's still a lot better option than Harrison or Navarro (although, I believe he was traded this off-season).

Holt had the potential to be a decent every day player at the top of the line-up. There's no reason he should have been the added piece. Ship off someone like Stetson Allie; if they wanted an INF.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What good would shipping off a really huge failed pitching prospect, who also can't hit since switching to a position player? I'm sure lots of teams would jump at a guy who's ceiling is now Rick Ankiel.

Brock Holt is probably a utility player at best, I agree. And we already have one who can't hit anything besides a single, can't run, and can't field, named Josh Harrison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: