Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Boston Red Sox Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
PatsPwn wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
Ells for Cliff Lee?

Would love this, but pretty much every Red Sox beat writer is saying a deal for Cliff Lee isn't happening.

As for the Wil Myers thing, I never saw that it was officially offered, only that it was discussed. I'm going to be really upset if that story is true, and the Royals end up trading Myers to Tampa for Shields.

Well you got that part right. What are we going to do about our pitching? Nothing apparently.

Bro! We're getting back Lackey. That's more than enough.... to finish last.

Wish we would've found a way to get Myers. Rays killed in that trade though.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Youk just playing a sick joke on us?

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse me while I use this space to figure out where our team stands at the moment.

1. CF Ellsbury - hopefully we move him in a trade soon.
2. 2B Pedroia
3. 3B Will Middlebrooks
4. DH David Ortiz
5. 1B Mike Napoli
6. LF Jonny Gomes
7. C Jarrod Salty
8. RF Shane Victorino
9. SS Pedro Ciriaco/Jose Iglesias

1. Jon Lester
2. Clay Bucholtz
3. Felix Doubrount
4. John Lackey
5. Franklin Morales

What I think we need to do now is really focus on upgrading the pitching. The offense is coming together for one off-season. What we need to do is determine which players are available on the trade marker and move for someone there, as Anibal Sanchez likely won't fit within our strict signing rules. If the shoe fits we should move Ellsbury or Lavarnaway in such a trade.

HOVA333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Is Youk just playing a sick joke on us?

Apparently he has always wanted to play for "them"

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to move Bogaerts for a young arm and sign Jackson, Lohse, or Sanchez. Maybe we can get someone to buy into X as a SS.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I want to move Bogaerts for a young arm and sign Jackson, Lohse, or Sanchez. Maybe we can get someone to buy into X as a SS.

That's what we need to do. His value will likely never be higher than it is now. I just don't trust him as a prospect.

If we move him and Lavarnaway in the same deal we could get a sweet pitching return. I'm just not even sure who is available on the pitching market right now.

keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>go after ryan dempster
>turns us down

....go after him again?

animaltested wrote:
PatsPwn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you guys target in a hypothetical Bogaerts trade?

I'm not at all in favor of this idea btw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you <3 him, but where is he gonna play?

animaltested wrote:
PatsPwn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Bogaerts is his long-term defensive projection. There's no reason he couldn't stick at SS for a few years, and it's not like Iglesias is going to block him (or anyone). Besides, you could always slide him to a corner OF spot.

Trading Bogaerts would go against everything Ben Cherington has preached since the Nick Punto trade. Which is, building a competitive team for 2013 without sacrificing the future. Unless we can get King Felix or someone similar, I wouldn't be interested in moving Bogaerts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From BP:

1. Xander Bogaerts
Position: IF
DOB: 10/01/1992
Height/Weight: 6’3’’ 175 lbs.
Bats/Throws: R/R
Drafted/Acquired: International free agent, 2009, Aruba
2012 Stats: .302/.378/.505 at High-A Salem (104 games); .326/.351/.598 at Double-A Portland (23 games)
The Tools: 6+ hit; 6+ power potential; 6 arm

What Happened in 2012: You mean, besides hitting for power and average in the Carolina League before moving up to Double-A as a teenager and continuing the offensive onslaught by ripping 15 extra-base hits in only 23 games?

Strengths: Simple, fluid swing mechanics; very natural barrel-to-ball relationship; projects to hit for both plus power and batting average; shows plus-plus bat speed; shows ability to drive the ball all over the park; can square velocity; arm is plus; plays game with feel and instincts; solid glove; could have above-average defensive profile at third base.

Weaknesses: Aggressive in the box; soft and spinning can get him off-balance; will need to expand pitch appetite (fastball eyes); exaggerated swing plane limits stay in the zone; good athlete, but lacks plus speed; physical maturation process could leave speed below-average; limited range at shortstop; fielding actions can be stiff; not ideal profile for middle-of-the-diamond.

Overall Future Potential: 7; all-star

Explanation of Risk: High risk; excellent makeup, but lofty ceiling; still lots of developmental space between present/future.

Fantasy Future: At his peak, Bogaerts could approach a .300 average and 30-plus bombs a year; bat will play anywhere on the diamond, but most likely will find a home at third base.

The Year Ahead: It’s hard to imagine Bogaerts taking another step forward in 2013, but it’s entirely possible. His swing is full of grace, and the power that flows from the hit tool could make him a very special player if everything goes according to plan. He still needs refinement in all phases of the game, and an extended stay in Double-A could expose some of the weaknesses in his offensive approach. While its possible that he remains at shortstop going forward, his defensive profile isn’t ideal at the position at the highest level, and as the 6’3’’ 175-lb. 20-year-old continues to grow into his body, his average-at-best speed will tick down and his range at the position will prove to be inadequate. Regardless, his bat has middle-of-the-order potential, and could make him an all-star if he reaches his ceiling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we move him and Lavarnaway in the same deal we could get a sweet pitching return. I'm just not even sure who is available on the pitching market right now.

Don't post here much, but thought I'd chime in.

The only "semi-realistic" pitcher I'd trade Bo and Lavarnaway[and obviously more] is King Felix.
HOVA333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who do you guys think is a realistic pitching candidates?

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I know you <3 him, but where is he gonna play?

A guy with that type of offensive potential? Anywhere he won't kill you defensively. 3B or LF would be the most obvious spots.

The Sox have enough young arms in the system to think they can find 1 or 2 to supplement a rotation of Buchholz, Lester (or someone you can trade Lester for) and Doubront in 2014 or 2015.

What they don't have is power and high-upside offensive skills anywhere in the minors.

This isn't the late 90's or early 2000's anymore. It's not easy, nor desirable, to load up on arms and try to buy an offense. The Sox will need upper echelon hitters when they're ready to compete strongly again and trading one of their few talented hitting prospects for another arm seems silly unless you're getting back a bona fide cost-controlled ace (and those guys aren't available).
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I want a Ellsbury trade more than anything. He's the first one I want to see go. Lavarnaway I don't like since he simply isnt a catcher, but we can trick a team into thinking he is.

Now, I'd be willing to move all in on a trade for Mike Stanton. Perhaps that ship has sailed, but the only Sox prospect I love right now is Jackie Bradley.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: