Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

t21 and Packerraymond's FFMD Reviews - Page 1 Updated 4/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins is the most talented CB in the draft. His character is certainly a concern, but if you watch his film at Florida when he was only a Sophomore and was already projected to be a top 5 pick had he come out, then there is no way you could grade him lower than Kirkpatrick just on ability.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 11 – Kansas City Chiefs – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Grade: D
Analysis: I just don’t like Poe as a prospect. I get that he is an incredible athlete for his size, but to take a guy from Memphis this early, he better have dominated the competition. With Poe, that simply isn’t the case. If he hits, he’ll hit big, but it’s just not a gamble I would be willing to take with the 11th pick in the draft.

No. 12 – Seattle Seahawks – Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
Grade: A-
Analysis: Ingram is just an incredible athlete that should develop into a quality pass rusher in the NFL. I understand the arm length/height concerns, but he has nice hips and quality technique. Value is just about right at this point. Though I personally like Perry better, I understand the pick and he should be an interest fit in Seattle’s defense.

No. 13 – Arizona Cardinals – Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
Grade: A
Analysis: When you think of the classic Iowa offensive lineman, you think of Riley Reiff. Tough, intelligent player with nice form that can both run and pass block. Has ideal size and long arms with good footwork. Maybe not the top tier athlete that you usually see with first round offensive tackles, but he should be a player you plug into your starting lineup from day one and not have to worry about the spot for a while.

No. 14 – Dallas Cowboys – Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
Analysis: I think Coples has good value here and personally, I think his overall skillset is a perfect fit for the 5-tech in Dallas. Coples has a ton of talent and can be a pass-rusher regardless of the defensive scheme. Cowboys needed to add a defensive lineman and grabbed arguably the best one available at this point in the draft.

No. 15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
Grade: B+
Analysis: Cos has the potential to be a steal at this point in the draft…but honestly, I’m just not as high as him as many others. Fletcher has plenty of athleticism, but up until this year he had really failed to live up to expectations at Mississippi State. With all of that said, Jim Washburn may be able to work wonders with him as he has with so many others in the past and he joins an Eagles defensive line that has a large number of pass rushers.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picks 18-21

The 18th Overall Pick: San Diego Chargers, Nick Perry, OLB
School: USC

The highest potential of all the pass rushers in the draft IMO, people knock Perry for the 3-4 saying he doesn't want to play there or he is only a 4-3 DE and frankly, I just don't see it. Perry wants to rush the passer, and no other position presents him with a more diverse way to rush the passer than as a 3-4 OLB with a creative blitz package. Im not sure the exact way the San Diego defense will utilize Perry, but his skills won't go to waste. This may be a little early for Perry for some, but this is right about where I think he should go, the Chargers have immense talent that just doesn't seem to ever put it all together, hopefully for their sake that trend will end soon, but adding a pass rusher like Perry certainly won't hurt them on the defensive side of the ball.

NFL Comparison: Cam Wake

19th Overall Pick: Chicago Bears, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB
School: Alabama

Perfect fit, perfect pick. Don't want to give the Bears too much credit, but they made one of the top 3 picks in the 1st round thus far. The only consolation for me as a Packers fan is that they probably won't make as good of a pick on April 26. Laughing but Ill give their new management a chance. Heck of a pick Bears staff.

Grade: A+
NFL Comparison: Al Harris

20th Overall Pick: Tennessee Titans, Devon Still, DT
School: Penn State

Possibly a little early for Still here and I may prefer Worthy for a 4-3 team over Still, but I have no complaints with this pick. Tennessee has a pretty solid OL to build around for Locker, minus the center position. They have a great RB and some solid WR's so I agree with their mindset to go defense. Not sure if they could use Upshaw in their defense, but he would be the BPA here in my opinion. The Titans got a bit of a steal last year in Karl Klug, but there's no denying they need some DL, and Still is a good one. He probably could start for them immediately and will certainly help their defense.

NFL Comparison: Kevin Williams

21st Overall Pick: Cincinnati Bengals, Mark Barron, SS

Again like with Still, might be a hair high here for Barron, but no real problem with the value. Not entirely sure of the Bengals OT situation, but Jonathon Martin wouldn't have been bad here, adding Glenn and Martin to protect Dalton would've been a great haul for them, but Barron goes to the division with Troy P and Ed Reed at SS, hopefully for Cincy he'll fit right in. Cincy is getting better on that defensive side of the ball, and playing in the division they play in, it is important that they are. They have a lot of big talented bodies at safety and unfortunately one of them will find themselves the odd man out, but I doubt Barron is that man. Solid pick here.

NFL Comparison: Adrian Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Disagree with you on Janoris - sure his height is a concern but his arm length and verticle all show him to be right there with a similar sized Claiborne. He also had no issues covering Green and Jones in the SEC and his talent is unmistakeable. I get the character concerns but a D seems harsh

I would never even have a CB under 5'10 on my board, very similarly to what our GM does here. Added that I don't see how anyone can take Jenkins over Kirkpatrick and its by far the worst pick of round 1. Ill give someone Jenkins over Gilmore, that's my personal preference much like St. Louis had Floyd over Blackmon, but I can't even begin to see Kirkpatrick under Jenkins. Short corners just don't make it in the NFL, look at draft history.

Guess it's a good thing Jenkins checked in at right about 5'10" at the combine then.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its obvious I don't like Jenkins Laughing It doesn't help that he's 5'9 and a half, but thats not the be all end all for him, but we'll see, Im not too proud to admit I was wrong if he hits in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Its obvious I don't like Jenkins Laughing It doesn't help that he's 5'9 and a half, but thats not the be all end all for him, but we'll see, Im not too proud to admit I was wrong if he hits in the NFL.

Depending on the site, they have his combine measurements from 5'9.75" to 5'10" so I don't see how at most .25 inches is going to keep him from being a good CB. I bet he'll be listed at 5'10" no matter where he goes.

So I can understand the dislike, I'd just say there should be some other reasons. Razz

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Disagree with you on Janoris - sure his height is a concern but his arm length and verticle all show him to be right there with a similar sized Claiborne. He also had no issues covering Green and Jones in the SEC and his talent is unmistakeable. I get the character concerns but a D seems harsh

I would never even have a CB under 5'10 on my board, very similarly to what our GM does here. Added that I don't see how anyone can take Jenkins over Kirkpatrick and its by far the worst pick of round 1. Ill give someone Jenkins over Gilmore, that's my personal preference much like St. Louis had Floyd over Blackmon, but I can't even begin to see Kirkpatrick under Jenkins. Short corners just don't make it in the NFL, look at draft history.

How anyone could think Kirkpatrick is more talented than Jenkins is beyond me

Go look up Webb's height. Jenkins is a 1/4 inch shorter than Claiborne and just as athletic across the board. To say he's the worst pick in the first round when it was only 18 picks in is ridiculous

Sig courtesy of mack.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picks 22-27

22nd Overall Pick: Cleveland Browns, Kendall Wright, WR
School: Baylor

SO Cleveland adds Richardson and Wright in the 1st, not a bad haul for them, and while the still lack a true QB, they now have a very good slot receiver, a potentially dominant runningback and the best LT in football to groom a QB around. Browns fans may still have to suffer through this season, but an early selection of someone like Matt Barkley next year will have the remainder of the AFC North on alert 3-4 years down the road. Kendall Wright is the type of WR that the Packers love to take, not overly big of physical or fast, but has the big two things you look for when you want immediate production, he runs good routes and he has good hands. I don't know if Wright has #1 receiver potential, but in today's NFL teams can find their #1 guys from either the X, Z or H position and Wright fits very well into the H slot. Overall, nice job by the Browns of adding two playmakers in this round, still would've liked to see them grab Tannehill, but they have set themselves up well for a future franchise QB to take the reigns.

NFL Comparison: Randall Cobb

23rd Overall Pick, Detriot Lions, Jonathon Martin, OT
School: Stanford

All three of our division rivals make excellent picks in round 1, the Lions draft one of the men that will guard the edges for Stafford for years to come. Not sure if Martin is a LT or a RT, but it doesn't matter, he has potential to be very good on either side. Backus is getting up there for Detriot and much like the situation Green Bay is in with Clifton, it was time to get a young OT to protect your franchise QB. I miss Matt Millen a lot.

NFL Comparison: Jamaal Brown

24th Overall Pick, Pittsburgh Steelers, Stephon Gilmore, DB
School: South Carolina

Love Gilmore as a DB and feel this was about the right time for him to go, maybe even a bit earlier. Surprised a bit that the Steelers passed on two guys in Upshaw and Brockers that would both fit there quite well, but they have done such a great job over the years drafting OLB's and 5 techs that I have little doubts if they need one they can find one later. Gilmore can either be a corner or a safety, its nice to find a 1st round prospect with that kind of versatility. Gilmore seems to fit what Pitt does in their secondary quite well, and they have the coaches to make sure he sees the most of his potential, can't argue with this pick.

Comparison: Malcolm Jenkins

25th Overall Pick, Denver Broncos, Jerel Worthy, DL
School: Michigan State

Despite missing out on Brockers and Upshaw who would be better picks, the Broncos made the most of who was left and picked a very good football player in Worthy. Worthy reminds me a lot of current Packer Ryan Pickett with his ability to hold the line of scrimmage in the run game, and I think he will add more pass rush than Pickett has in his career though. Worthy is a top 15 pick and the 2nd best DT in the draft when it comes to talent, but he has a fire that runs hot and cold and that is the reason he's a fringe round 1 guy, if Denver can keep his fire lit, I think they made a pretty nice pick here.

NFL comparison: Ryan Pickett (with more pass rush)

26th Overall Pick: Green Bay Packers, Courtney Upshaw, OLB

Don't want to go on too much about my team here, but there was really no way between Brockers or Upshaw that they could make a bad pick here. Upshaw will fit exactly what Dom Capers and Kevin Greene are looking for opposite Clay. Upshaw is stronger and more powerful then he is speedy and quick and will collapse the edge and hopefully with a bounce back year from BJ Raji, allow Clay Matthews to get back to a DPOY candidate.

NFL Comparison: Lamar Woodley

27th Overall Pick: New England Patriots, Michael Brockers, DE
School: LSU

The Patriots move up thee with Chicago, Arizona and Jacksonville as the best 1st round pick in round 1, they may have been surprised to see Brockers sitting there at their pick, and they still have another 1st in a few selections. The rich continue to get richer and the Patriots will look to build their defense back up to where it was during the Super Bowl wins. They aged pretty quick and have made an attempt to get younger, their secondary is still very bad, but the addition of Brockers will help their run defense and if he continues to develop, I feel he can be a fine pass rusher from the 5 tech.

Grade: A+
NFL Comparison: Richard Seymour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 16 - Carolina Panthers - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Grade: B
Analysis: This was a tough pick for me to grade. I like Jenkins as a prospect and think he has the natural ability to become a very, very good cornerback in the NFL. His size is not nearly as much of a concern to me as it is to others. However, the fact that I am a Titans fan who had to deal with the disappointment that was Pacman Jones prevents me from giving this a higher grade. He reminds me of Adam both on and off the field and this is simply a risky pick at this point in the draft.

No. 17 - Cincinnati Bengals - Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
Analysis: Cordy Glenn comes with a bit more risk than you usually see from an offensive lineman taken in the first round. I assume that Glenn will play guard for the Bengals, where his size and physical gifts should give him every opportunity to develop into a damn good football player. Still, taking a guard in the first that is a bit raw lowers the grade a little.

No. 18 - San Diego Chargers - Nick Perry, OLB, USC
Analysis: I am a big fan of Nick Perry and feel as though his value is just about right at No. 18. Perry has elite athleticism, good size and has almost everything you look for from a pass-rusher at the next level. Assuming he will be rarely asked to drop into coverage, he should be able to have plenty of success standing up and attacking up field. While I personally think he is a better fit for a DE in a 4-3, he seems like a guy that could probably be effective in either system.

No. 19 - Chicago Bears - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Analysis: Kirkpatrick has great value at this spot and is one of those rare picks that both fills a need and is probably the best player available. Kirkpatrick needs some technical work but he has the size and speed combination that you look for in top-tier cornerbacks. He can jam at the line and knows how to play the run. Very good pick for Chicago.

No. 20 - Tennessee Titans - Devon Still, DT, Penn State
Analysis: This might be considered a slight reach, but Still fits what the Titans need on the defensive line and fills what is arguably their second biggest hole. After signing Kam Wimbley to take over at DE, they needed a bigger body that could play next to Jurrell Casey. Still desperately need a center but Still should help a defensive line that really struggled to generate pressure last season.

No. 21 - Cincinnati Bengals - Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Analysis: Considering the Bengals were strongly considering Barron with their previous pick, I'm sure most of the staff was relieved to see him still on the board here. In a weak safety class, Barron is clearly far and away the best option available. Barron has great instincts, good size, can read the quarterback and play the run. Not the fastest safety in the world, but somebody that you should be able to pencil in at strong safety almost from day one.
titans0021

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 22 - Cleveland Browns - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Analysis: I'm not the world's biggest fan of Kendall Wright but I can appreciate what Cleveland is trying to do in this draft. After taking Trent Richardson at No. 4, the Browns seem dead set on improving their surrounding cast for Colt McCoy or whoever takes over at quarterback in 2013. Wright is a smaller guy with great speed and elite quickness that can probably have a bunch of success out of the slot. Had huge college production and should have some success in the NFL, just not sure he will be a great outside threat.

No. 23 - Detroit Lions - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
Analysis: Detroit is able to fill a big need with a quality player in the later phases of the first round. While he doesn't necessarily strike me as someone that will ever be an elite left tackle, he does look like someone that will be a starter in the NFL for the next decade. He can sometimes struggle with speed rushers but he is typically pretty strong in both the running and passing game.

No. 24 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Stephen Gilmore, DB, South Carolina
Analysis: Not quite as high on Gilmore as Packerraymond to be totally honest. Though I think Pittsburgh is probably one of the best places he could have ended up, I just don't really think he looks like a first round pick in the limited time I have been able to watch him. He has a nice combination of size and speed but is going to need a decent amount of coaching if he wants to become a quality starter.

No. 25 - Denver Broncos - Jerel Worthy, DL, Michigan State
Analysis: I have to base my grade on who was on the board when they went on the clock rather than who was left when they actually picked. Worthy has the kind of skillset that could allow him to become one of the best defensive tackles in the game, but rarely flashed the kind of consistent dominance one would expect from a player with his size and athleticism. We'll need some coaching if he ever is to hit high (very high) ceiling.

No. 26 - Green Bay Packers - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
Analysis: I'm sure the Packers were thrilled to see Upshaw on the board at their pick. Green Bay desperately needs a pass rusher opposite Clay Matthews and Upshaw should provide a talented and productive presence across from the Claymaker. Upshaw will provide more of a power rusher and has the size and ability to also play the run.

No. 27 - New England Patriots - Michael Brockers, DE,. LSU
Analysis: Pretty much no possible way Brockers drops to #27 in real life. Fits with what New England is looking to do defensively and has the size and physical gifts to become an elite defensive lineman. Still semi-raw with limited starting experience, but looks to have great explosiveness and power with big upside.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are roughly 100 picks behind now. Laughing

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: