Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

iloxygenil's FFMD News, Highlights, and Insights
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: iloxygenil's FFMD News, Highlights, and Insights Reply with quote

This is going to be the thread where I do my postings.

Things you can expect:
-A listing of top prospects at each position
-My reaction to each team's pick and trades
-A sometimes outlandish point of view that is strictly meant for entertainment value, nothing I will post will have any intent to be malicious towards anyone, but expect some colorful commentary on teams making boneheaded decisions (even if I personally agree with the decision, gotta have some spice right?)

The idea was nixed, no biggy, we're still going to have plenty of fun folks!

We're edging ever closer to the beginning of the draft, expect some updates later today.
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will be my top 5 players by positions. I will give a quick breakdown of each position and my top 5 players at the position.
Top 5 Runningbacks

1. Trent Richardson
Richardson is the best back in this class and it's not really that close to me. He has potential to be a top 3 runningback in the NFL for a long time to come. He's a physical beast who looks to have a body that can hold up to the brutal NFL hits from his RB position. He easily outshined his former Heisman winning running mate, and should be an absolute lock to go in the top 5 picks. His ability not only as a runner but as a receiver makes him a valuable asset in the passing and screen games that could really help a franchise in need of a star on the offense. If I'm Cleveland I'm salivating at the opportunity to lock up this phenom. Projection: Top 5 Pick

2. Lamar Miller
This Hurricane may not have the ideal college production you'd expect from a top flight running back, but you can credit a lot of that to the ineptitude of the Miami team over the last couple of seasons under the guidance of Jacory Harris. Miller is a guy who brings elite speed to the RB position while also having the ability to add to the screen game of your team. To be short, get the ball in this playmakers hands and then watch the fireworks. Projection: Late First Round / Early Second Round

3. Doug Martin
The Boise back has an all around game that allows him to be a 3 down runner in the NFL and has the body to hold up to the punishment, and has the ability to avoid the big punishing blows that take a tole over the course of a season. In a league full of tandem attacks Martin has all the makeup and tools you'd like to have if you're looking for a feature back and can hold the load on his own. Projection: Second Round

4. David Wilson
The prolific runner from Virginia Tech has a great NFL skill set, but his production on the college level may have some teams be leery of him being a one hit wonder who doesn't have what it takes to be an every down back in the NFL. Look for him to end up in a situation where he can play Robin to someone's Batman, a team like the Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Fransisco 49ers, or The Miami Dolphins could be looking for a talent like this kid to pair up with their strong backfields. Projection: Late Second/Early Third Round

5. Robert Turbin
This guy has an absolute mountain of stats to look through and enjoy from college. Scoring over 50 touchdowns and racking up over 4,000 yards in his tenure at Utah State. The guy has workhorse written all over him. He's already been used quite a bit in college, as you can tell by those monster numbers, but he's used to it and his body holds up well. After redshirting the 2010 season he came back and silenced all doubters with his most productive college season in 2011. Many may not like him this high, but I value a guy you don't have to take off the field no matter what the situation, so Turbin gets my pick for the #5 back. To me he's worth a look in the third, however it seems like most teams feel he's going to come off the boards later in the draft. Watch out for this kid to be a potential steal for whatever team picks him up. Projection: Fourth/Fifth Round

iloxygenil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5 Cornerbacks
I realize that this position like many others is very scheme dependent but I will be valuing the players as I see them in terms of the system they are best fit for and where I would value them if I was a team picking them for that system.

1. Morris Claiborne
This is another no brainer, I don't care what system I'm running I want this guy. He's a playmaker with amazing game tape, and I don't care what his measurables say, this kid is a fantastic football player and should do quite well for himself ala Patrick Peterson. Could actually end up being the 3rd pick off the board in this year's draft. Projection: Top 5 Pick

2. Stephon Gilmore
Elite Size, Speed, and his instincts are good too. I don't know of another corner that I can see coming off the boards in the top half of the first round, but I could see Gilmore potentially landing somewhere shortly after that due to the need of talented corners. He may get over drafted, but I like the kid on the field. Put on the tape and watch him work, there aren't many guys his size who can play corner in the NFL, I think Gilmore is a rare exception and has potential to turn into a true #1 corner. Projection Late First/Early Second

3. Brandon Boykin
Honestly, I'd have him at #2 if it weren't for his diminutive stature. He's just tiny. Not that there haven't been plenty of good corners in the NFL checking in under 5'10" but in today's game it's a little different matching up with those 6'2"+ monsters that the other teams are regularly going to be lining up. The good news for Boykin is he's got amazing ball skills and instincts to make up for his tiny height. On top of that he's got ultra smooth hips and speed to burn, depending on your scheme you could be talking about a guy who has the potential to be a Pro Bowler. Don't expect him to win in press man, but if you're going to zone your corners, this kid can make the other team's QB pay for throwing his way, plus he adds the value of being a very good return man. Projection: Mid/Late Second

4. Janoris Jenkins
This guy if he's got his head on right can be a #1 corner for just about anyone. He's got decent height at 5'10" but he's very thick at nearly 200 pounds and still maintains a 40 yard days in the 4.4s. He's got all the physical tools and has production to go along with it. If he weren't such a knucklehead we'd be talking about him as a top 10 pick because that's where his talent belongs. However the NFL has had plenty of talent go to waste over some boneheaded decisions. With a history of drug problems and even getting kicked out of school his character is his only red flag, unfortunately in today's NFL that's a huge one. If I'm a team I wouldn't touch him before round 2, maybe even round 3 simply because you can't afford to have a 1st round or even 2nd round pick sitting out due to off the field issues. Someone will no doubt fall in love with his physical gifts and draft him in the first round though. Projection: First round

5. Dre Kirkpatrick
A monster corner with a mean streak. Good speed and good hips for a guy his size and coming from an elite program like Alabama means he's been coached up well and he's going to be ready to make impact in the NFL. I'm torn on him between Corner and Safety, but the truth is I think he can play either and that may bring even more value, because if he can't play with the physicality of the NFL WRs, you can put him at Free Safety and you'll have a ball hawk back there who can turn the tide of the game. Despite not being thrown towards much especially this last season he was able to register 9 PBUs but didn't register an interception. That doesn't bother me though, I'd rather the opposing QB not even try to look to his side of the field. If I'm a press/man team I'm going to be all over this kid. For me I'd put him in the 2nd round mix, but I'm certain a team will fall in love with his size and pedigree and will take him in the first. Projection: First Round
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5 Wide Recievers

1. Justin Blackmon
I know there's been a lot of people saying that Blackmon doesn't have true #1 potential, his potential is that of an elite #2 but I don't agree with them. In a perfect world your system features all #1 targets, just because someone is the primary read on one play doesn't mean they are on another. Blackmon is a guy I would be comfortable with getting as many first options as possible. His ability to run after the catch and his ability for physical play make him a prime target for me. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as high as the 4th pick to Cleveland, and the Vikings I'm sure have still done their work on him with the #3 pick. I can't see any possible way he slides past St. Louis at the #6 spot. He may not be an elite deep speed guy, but he knows how to get the ball in the endzone, and even without elite separation, he does have elite ball skills and body control and his physicality allows him to win nearly every matchup. Projection: Top 5 Pick

2. Alshon Jeffery
He's big, he's got great leaping ability and body control. He's a mismatch for pretty much every corner he lines up with and that's what the NFL is all about. Averaging nearly 17 yards per catch in the SEC and clearly has a nose for the endzone scoring 23 touchdowns in just 3 years at South Carolina. Despite the drop off in yardage production this season, I understand why. He was the #1 target of nearly every defense he faced once Lattimore went down. So, the gameplan was fully to stop him, which seemed to work to an extent, except he still found a way to put points on the board to the tune of 8 touchdowns. I think that he could be a legit #1 target similar to the likes of a Maques Colston who really isn't a hugely dynamic deep threat, but is such a great overall receiver you just can't seem to find a way to match him up. Projection Late First/Early Second

3. Michael Floyd
Here's a guy who most people have as the #2 WR in the draft, and I can see why. He's big and fast and has a lot of production on paper at the college level. He even caught 100 passes this year, which is impressive to say the least. My issue is that he isn't that dynamic of a playmaker. He gets the ball in the endzone, but he doesn't make big plays often enough for me. Averaging only 11.5 yards per catch this season makes me very leery of his ability to really be an impact guy in the NFL. But he's proven it at the college level without question and thus I believe that he belongs as the #3 WR in this year's class. He's not elite, but I believe that he can be an outstanding 2nd option for a team at the WR position, but I think he would be better off having a true #1 opposite him to provide him room to work. He's got all the measureables, but just watching him play makes me go...hrmm. There's a tinge of doubt for me, and that's why he's my #3 WR and not my #2, but I believe that in the draft he will be selected higher than Jeffery. Projection: Mid/Late First

4. Reuben Randle
This guy has prototype size, and good speed coupled with good production on the college level despite some lackluster QB play. Obviously LSU has a monster pedigree for producing NFL players, and even in recent history has put out a monster like Dwayne Bowe, so that helps Randle here as well. You know he's been coached up, and you know he's had to do his fair share of blocking, while not a deal breaker for a WR, it's a nice little added bonus. He has a massive YPC and really stands out because of that. He's only a 3 year player but has improved consistently throughout those years. I think he should have stayed 1 more year to get his senior year in and be a first round pick, but his skills and production will make someone pick him up early in the draft process still. He's not a flash in the pan sort of guy like Hill from GA. Tech who has better measurables and may be drafted higher but I think Randle is the guy who's going to be able to have a good impact in the NFL. I see him as a legit #2 WR. Projection: Late Second/Early Third

5. T.Y. Hilton
Not a kid from a big program, but this kid is big time on talent. Speed to burn, and to survive in the NFL he's going to have to have it. Some people may wonder why I've got him this high, but a guy who averages over 15 yards per catch in 4 years, even as a Freshman averaging a monster 24 yards per catch is nothing to scoff at. He's a big play guy in the mold of a Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, or Mike Wallace type WR. He doesn't have the size you'd want to get out of a WR at 5'9" but he's got a decent bulk coming in at 183 pounds. It's not great and that's got to be a question just like it was for Jackson coming out of Cal. But when you've got this kind of speed, and this kind of talent you can't be overlooked. If he was playing at a bigger school far more people would have him as a top impact guy. Speed Kills, it's too bad Al Davis isn't running the show or you'd be talking about this kid as a top of the second round kind of guy. Projection: Third or Fourth Round
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trades:

Well we've got a couple official trades on the books now. Minnesota shipping away DE Brian Robinson for a couple of picks, which makes good sense to me.
Winner: Push

The deal that doesn't make sense to me is the Matt Light for a 4th round pick. The bills in my opinion got the way better end of that deal. The Patriots give up Light for a song, and you won't find a player of his caliber in the 4th round very often.
Winner: The BillsThey should relish it, cause they don't beat the Pariots at much!(*ba doom chiii*)
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that guys, Easter Weekend was insane for me and I have had no time at all. I will get back after this, hopefully today I can type up some more top 5s and get all that posted.
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, the first 5 picks are in the books and just as we all expected...BORING.

Things went exactly as expected with no drama unfolding in the top 5 picks of the draft, of course without Al Davis having one of those picks there are rarely any surprises as there are only a few elite talents each year.

I would call every team with a top 5 pick in this years draft a winner, the elite talents are all snatched up and over the course of the next 10 picks there should be a bit more drama and excitement.

The Bucs picking #5 still landed one heck of a player at a position they desperately need. Matching up against Cam Newton, Drew Brees, and Matt Ryan for 6 games every season means you'd better be able to get to the passer and you'd better be able to defend some great WRs. With Barber at the end of his rope (which honestly he's better at the end of his rope than most Corners in the NFL could ever hope to be) and with knucklehead, err, Talib on the other side of the field you never know if he's going to be there or not. Morris steps in and gives then someone who may match up well against their primary competition. They still have to hope their pass rush which they focused on a lot last off season, improves and can put pressure, otherwise their new star is going to struggle regardless of his immense talent.

The Browns picking #4 got the best back the NFL draft has seen in quite some time. In my opinion he's a greater prospect than even Adrian Peterson. His ability to catch, his inability to fumble, and his physical giftings are just something to be marveled at. The Browns had Peyton Hillis and let him walk away, there's a reason for that, because despite Hillis' amazing production and his own unique skillset the dude was a headcase. Richardson comes from an extremely disciplined program at Alabama with a great tradition of winning, he knows how to win and he's going to bring that with him to Cleveland, a place that desperately needs offensive weapons, and needs the swagger that Richardson brings as well. Fantastic selection for them, even though Blackmon would also have been a good option, when you have the opportunity to get one of the rare feature backs who can add versatility to your offense and consistency to your offense, you almost have to do it, even with today's pass happy NFL.

The Vikings picking #3 landed a LT to help keep Christian Ponder from being destroyed from the blind side too often. Kalil has NFL pedigree in his family and has a prototype build for the LT position. While he may not bring a lot in the run game, the Vikings have Adrian Peterson who doesn't really need all that much help, so if Kalil can find a way to get a hand on a defender, that should give him all the day light he needs to keep that offense moving. Facing tough defensive lines in the NFC North with the likes of Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, and the Lions host of defensive linemen you need to be strong in the trenches to give yourselves an opportunity to compete in what has become one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL. Is it flashy, no, but the Vikings have plenty of flash already with Harvin and Peterson, lets see if they can put some consistency out there, good selection.

Despite giving up entirely too many potential top 5 picks to land RGIII I still like the player and I like his potential in the NFL which is just absolutely immense. That also being said, I believe that they landed the best QB in this year's draft. Unlike many I don't believe Luck is as rock solid of a pick as many people make him out to be. The NFL is an ever changing landscape and I believe that now the Redskins are in a position to be set at the QB position for quite some time. RGIII has all the mental aptitude you could hope for, and all of the physical attributes to go along with it. He's got speed to burn, but he's not looking to run, he truly is a quarterback who has the ability to run. Watching him in college he'd stand in and take big shots to deliver the pass deep rather than the chuck and duck method a QB like Matt Safford used(uses), and he won't tuck tail and run like a Michael Vick. But if he gets flushed from his pocket (which is where he is most at home) then look out, because he can make exciting things happen for you and extend drives in tough situations.

With the first overall pick the Colts attempt to replace Peyton Manning. Irsay nailed that pick the last time he had the choice between Manning and Leaf, and he's hoping he's knocked it out of the park again. I just don't see any possible way for the Colts to be a good enough team without someone who is basically Manning being the offensive coordinator as well as the QB. So I see much pain in the near future for young Luck. The Colts had a guy disguising their offensive line problems, and now they lost their Center to go along with it, the Colts are lacking big time along that offensive front and they're going to have to spend some premium picks to get the talent they need on the offensive line, luckily over the next couple of seasons they'll have plenty of top 10 picks to spend on shoring up the offensive line and finding Luck some weapons to work with. The glory days of Harrison, Wayne, and James are over, even Dallas Clark is absent, it's not going to be the same for Wayne as the primary target, he's going to need some help, we'll see what they do later on in this draft to help their new face of the franchise out.
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks we officially have our first headscratcher moment of the draft. The Rams select the wrong WR at the #6 overall spot. To pass over someone who is borderline elite with impeccable character for Michael Floyd makes me say...HMMM. All I gotta say is that GM should be brushing up on his resume writing skills. Yikes. Hope it works out for them, but yeowch if it doesn't and Blackmon does what he can do.

The flip side of that is Jacksonville is left with the best WR in the draft at the #7 overall pick and that is $$$ for them. Gabbert prolly flipped his lid when he heard that they hadn't taken Blackmon, congrats to J-ville for now having a bonafide #1 WR and Mularkey gets a chance to really turn that thing around.

Then Miami FINALLY gets a QB who can't turn them down, so good for them. I hope that Tannehill works out, personally I think his draft stock has risen like Joe Flacco style and we all know that's not at all a good thing, although he IS the best Quarterback in the NFL. (LULZ, thanks for that one Joe)

Carolina makes a dynamite pick selecting a player who can allow Beason to move outside and them have an absolute monster core of LBs. Fearsome pick by the Panthers, wasn't sure which way they were going to go but an excellent choice for that team. He's going to be a tackling machine.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGIII flew up draft boards and yet no one seems to complain about Washington giving up 3 first rounders and a second for him. Newton flew up draft boards last year too. Remember when people were saying he was a borderline first round pick?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
RGIII flew up draft boards and yet no one seems to complain about Washington giving up 3 first rounders and a second for him. Newton flew up draft boards last year too. Remember when people were saying he was a borderline first round pick?

People like RG3's personality a lot better. Newton had the whole scandal involving his dad and Mississippi St.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GABBERT TO BLACKMON

GABBERT SCARED? NAH. NAH. GABBERT EXCITED.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
GABBERT TO BLACKMON

Well you're half way there...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
GABBERT TO BLACKMON

The way you put that doesn't work in the way that you think it does.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
GABBERT TO BLACKMON

I just mean you have the stud WR, now you just need a QB. Nice pick up though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
GABBERT TO BLACKMON

I just mean you have the stud WR, now you just need a QB. Nice pick up though.

Chad Henne sucka.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: