Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FF Top 100 NHL Players - 66th Best Player In The League
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the 66th Best Player in the NHL?
Brian Campbell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dan Boyle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dustin Byfuglien
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Gabriel Landeskog
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
James Neal
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Jaroslav Halak
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Jason Pominville
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Jimmy Howard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joe Pavelski
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Kari Lehtonen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Ribeiro
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Patrick Elias
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Patrick Marleau
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Ray Whitney
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Scott Hartnell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
T.J. Oshie
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Tomas Vokoun
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We honestly should just end this and start over at the end of the season.

Half the rankings are based on this season at this point, while the top half is based on assumptions and statistics from before the season. It's a complete mess.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
dbtb135

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Radulov had some success before leaving, and then he had success in the KHL. Now he's back here doing it again when it counts the most for his team (and with little practice time to acclimate back into their system to boot).

Radulov was alright, but he wasn't a top 70 player. He's having a good playoffs, but so have guys like Max Talbot. Someone like Oshie has been a solid two-way player for years. Mike Smith is looking lie a top 12-ish goalie this year, and was the best player overall in his series. Radulov hasn't earned the right to be in that conversation yet, IMO.

the lone star wrote:
Vokoun might not be who the Caps roll with if he came back today, but a lot of that has to do with not messing up the kind of chemistry the team has developed with Holtby in the back end. I put Vokoun in before Brodeur because he had more impressive numbers the past 2 seasons. The other options that I was looking at instead of Vokoun were Bryzgalov and Niemi. However I opted with Vokoun b/c his proven record in the past was the tie-breaker.

Vokoun is done as a surefire #1 though (most likely, I probably said that about the Bulin Wall before he was done too). That situation, I can't see him being used in the capacity he needs to be to be in the conversation as one of the best 70 players in the league. His situation is cloudy in terms of being the #1 goalie on his own team this playoffs and next year.
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
Radulov had some success before leaving, and then he had success in the KHL. Now he's back here doing it again when it counts the most for his team (and with little practice time to acclimate back into their system to boot).

Radulov was alright, but he wasn't a top 70 player. He's having a good playoffs, but so have guys like Max Talbot. Someone like Oshie has been a solid two-way player for years. Mike Smith is looking lie a top 12-ish goalie this year, and was the best player overall in his series. Radulov hasn't earned the right to be in that conversation yet, IMO.

the lone star wrote:
Vokoun might not be who the Caps roll with if he came back today, but a lot of that has to do with not messing up the kind of chemistry the team has developed with Holtby in the back end. I put Vokoun in before Brodeur because he had more impressive numbers the past 2 seasons. The other options that I was looking at instead of Vokoun were Bryzgalov and Niemi. However I opted with Vokoun b/c his proven record in the past was the tie-breaker.

Vokoun is done as a surefire #1 though (most likely, I probably said that about the Bulin Wall before he was done too). That situation, I can't see him being used in the capacity he needs to be to be in the conversation as one of the best 70 players in the league. His situation is cloudy in terms of being the #1 goalie on his own team this playoffs and next year.

Agreed on both counts. Well-put.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:
the lone star wrote:

the lone star wrote:

Agreed on both counts. Well-put.

I'll give Mike Smith another look, but I've seen him play like this before, and it was under the same defensive-minded coach that he has now. However, I can say this, the talent has always been there, so he's definitely not just another "product of the system."

And Radulov isn't set in stone just yet, like I have done in the past, I dont really make the decision until I am actually making the new poll. Right now he is being given strong consideration, as is Lucic, but there are also guys like Mike Smith (as mentioned above), Duchene, Heatley, Alfredsson, Michalek, Zajac, Weiss, Krejci, Lecavalier, and even guys like Erik Cole, Horton and Ryder.

Laying out all the options and debating/discussing them with you guys is what really helps me out with all of this. So I thank you for being so passionate about this. It's much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
We honestly should just end this and start over at the end of the season.

Half the rankings are based on this season at this point, while the top half is based on assumptions and statistics from before the season. It's a complete mess.

I mean honestly, any list is gonna wind up looking pretty off. The best way for us to do this is to actually have each hockey fan here list out their rankings for their top 100 players at some point during the offseason.

I plan on finishing this, but I probably will not pursue this venture in the same exact manner next time. I'll most likely go with the option I outlined above. That makes the most sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who impressed me down the stretch? Max Pacioretty. He was on his way to a career year before Chara gave him what I feel was a dirty hit into the partition last year. This year, he was a slow starter again, but he picked it up a lot at the end. I haven't paid a lot of attention to him on the defensive end, but I think he's going to break out in a big way sooner rather than later. He's got a nice shot, and some good skills. Montreal needs to bring in a top line center and start getting their offense back together with him and PK next year. Cole showed more signs of life last year than I expected. He impressed me, but I think going forward and for the way the season ended I'd rather have Pacioretty.
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't Radulov basically already said unless he gets 5+ a year, he's going back to Russia? I feel like I read this, but can't find it right now.

El Ramster on this beaut!
the lone star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
Hasn't Radulov basically already said unless he gets 5+ a year, he's going back to Russia? I feel like I read this, but can't find it right now.

Ionno if he actually said that or not, but that seems to be the general consensus. However, a team just might give him a contract offer that long (there are some ridiculously long contracts in the NHL now), so I don't think that will be too much of a problem for him and/or the team that signs him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pavelski it is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: