Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 29th pick, MINN selects - Harrison Smith [S] ND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
french t0ast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety Harrison Smith placed 7th of all NFL safetys in First Downs and Touchdowns Percentage Allowed according to ProFootballFocus! Applause

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

What a great pick he's turned out to be! Very Happy
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Smith was a brilliant pick, one that many questioned. The impact of great Safety play is instrumental for a defense in today's NFL. Lets go grab another one!
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Agreed, Smith was a brilliant pick, one that many questioned. The impact of great Safety play is instrumental for a defense in today's NFL. Lets go grab another one!

Kenny Vaccoro would look outstanding playing next to Harrison...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Kenny Vaccoro would look outstanding playing next to Harrison...

With Cutler, Stafford and Rodgers on the schedule six times a season, its essential to build the back 7. Find athletes, players who can cover and knock the snot out of receivers. I would completely skimp on the Dline if it means adding more talent to the back 7, mainly due to the NFL North being such a pass dominant division.

Spielman showed a commitment to that last year with the selections of Smith and Robinson. Will see if he continues that again in 2013.
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith turned into my favorite Viking this season with Harvin out for so many weeks. He's a stud, Dirty Harry was a great pick
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
With Cutler, Stafford and Rodgers on the schedule six times a season, its essential to build the back 7. Find athletes, players who can cover and knock the snot out of receivers. I would completely skimp on the Dline if it means adding more talent to the back 7, mainly due to the NFL North being such a pass dominant division.

Spielman showed a commitment to that last year with the selections of Smith and Robinson. Will see if he continues that again in 2013.

I disagree, the only way to beat the great quarterbacks in this league is to get in their face. If you give them a clean pocket to throw from they'll pick you apart all day long, doesn't matter who's in coverage.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I disagree, the only way to beat the great quarterbacks in this league is to get in their face. If you give them a clean pocket to throw from they'll pick you apart all day long, doesn't matter who's in coverage.

A cynic could say that if a QB drops back 50 times a game and is sacked 6 (which would be a ton) he still has 44 chances to pick apart a secondary.

I think the vikings need a DT to eliminate all the stepping up from all our D-end pressure, but I still think having playmakers in the back end that can turn people over or contest throws is what will ultimately be the best defense.

Offenses these days are just too good to always be able to pressure, or always be able to cover, so turnovers are at a premium. I think building defenses has now gone to building from the outside in, rather then inside out (10 yrs ago)
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

A cynic could say that if a QB drops back 50 times a game and is sacked 6 (which would be a ton) he still has 44 chances to pick apart a secondary.

I think the vikings need a DT to eliminate all the stepping up from all our D-end pressure, but I still think having playmakers in the back end that can turn people over or contest throws is what will ultimately be the best defense.

Offenses these days are just too good to always be able to pressure, or always be able to cover, so turnovers are at a premium. I think building defenses has now gone to building from the outside in, rather then inside out (10 yrs ago)

there was never an extreme change.

If you can't build a balanced defense, offenses will pick you apart one way or another.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
biggsohnasty wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

there was never an extreme change.

If you can't build a balanced defense, offenses will pick you apart one way or another.

Yup, you have to have balance on the defense. You face a team that passes 40 times you need to be able to rush the passer and cover, if you only rush the passer, teams dink and dunk you to death so your pass rush doesn't matter, if you can't rush the passer eventually someone will come open or the QB will get a running lane because all your defenders are 20 yards down the field.

CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not be running a 4-3 if you cannot get constant pressure on the QB with your initial front 4.

QBs if given time, can pick apart good DBs.
When you factor in rules, the game is slayed towards hurrying the QB so he is inaccurate, making him throw it away, taking him down, more then trying to cover WRs off of good throws.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
You should not be running a 4-3 if you cannot get constant pressure on the QB with your initial front 4.

QBs if given time, can pick apart good DBs.
When you factor in rules, the game is slayed towards hurrying the QB so he is inaccurate, making him throw it away, taking him down, more then trying to cover WRs off of good throws.

Right, this is what I was getting at. Obviously it's key to have a balanced defense, this is the ultimate team game. But I think adding some talent to the interior D-line is a more pressing need at the moment than beefing up the secondary.

It's not about getting 5 sacks a game instead of 3, its about getting in the QBs head. With pressure in his face, Rodgers is a very beatable QB. Our ends do a fine job bringing pressure from the outside, but Rodgers is just far too good at stepping up in the pocket and extending plays. This defense needs that presence in the middle to get in his face and make him think twice before stepping up.

Don't get me wrong, the additions of Smith and Robinson made a huge impact on this defense, and we have a ways to go in adding depth to the secondary. But at this point in time, with K-will's career winding down, adding a young and talented DT is essential.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: