Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Chicago Bears Select…H-Back…Evan Rodriguez…Temple
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: The Chicago Bears Select…H-Back…Evan Rodriguez…Temple Reply with quote

With the 111th Overall Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft…The Chicago Bears Select…

H-Back…Evan Rodriguez…Temple…

Personal Information...

Quote:
Born Evan Junior Rodriguez ... nickname is E-Rod ... born September 21, 1988, in Bronx, N.Y. ... mother is Frances Rodriguez ... has a brother, Louie (13) ... criminal justice major ... team captain for coach Vince Ascolese at North Bergen HS ... first-team All-State safety ... All-Conference and All-County as a quarterback and safety ... Hudson County Defensive Player of the Year ... led the Bruins to the playoffs ... participated in the New Jersey vs. New York All-Star Game ... also an all-conference selection in basketball.

Workout Numbers...

Height: 6-1'4”
Weight: 239lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.58
20 Yard Dash: n/a
10 Yard Dash: n/a
Bench Press Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 36”
Broad Jump: 09’ 11”
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.28
3 Cone Drill: 6.94

The Scouts Take…

Quote:
Strengths: Good athlete with smooth body control and coordination. Has the short-area quickness to make moves in the open field. Displays good vision and feel as a receiver, tracking the ball well and showing very good field awareness. Possesses soft hands and good focus. A natural pass catcher who won't fight the ball. Physical at the point of attack and gives very good effort as a blocker, always looking for someone to hit. Tough and takes on contact well. Versatile with experience lining up as a lead-blocking fullback and on the line of scrimmage as a tight end. Can be used all over the field and also played on special teams coverage.

Weaknesses: Undersized and lacks ideal measureables, showing tweener traits. Doesn't have overwhelming strength and lacks much build or muscle definition. Not a sudden athlete and lacks ideal speed, struggling to separate in tight spaces. His blocking leaves a lot to be desired, lacking the power to create running lanes. Fails to square-up his target consistently and doesn't sustain blocks long enough, struggling with blocking angles. Raw as a route runner and is a bit stiff when trying to swiftly redirect his momentum. Needs to develop more of a finishing attitude to pick up as many yards as possible. A smaller target and allows too many balls into his body. Had only one career rush attempt at Temple with underwhelming overall production, finishing with only 7 career scores in 28 starts as a three-year starter. He was considered lazy and an underachiever his first three seasons in college.

Quote:
Positives -- Versatile player who can line up at fullback, H-Back and tight end... A natural receiver who catches the ball with his hands and doesn't let the ball get into his body... Solid speed and athleticism; great weapon in the passing game when lined up at H-Back, will chip a defender and run nice routes... Good blocker who attacks his assignment... Good role player potential, the type of guy who can contribute in a variety of ways and will be valuable to a team... Good overall athlete, ran a 4.58-40 at the combine, the fastest of all participating tight ends, and had a 36" vertical leap.

Negatives -- Strictly a blocker and receiver, was not utilized at all as a runner, only has one career carry for one yard... A tweener fullback-tight end who doesn't have the height that teams look for in a traditional tight end or the functional strength that teams look for in a traditional lead blocker... Played mostly in the backfield in college but will likely move to tight end at the next level.

Career Highlights...

Rodriguez vs. Miami (Ohio)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_qeeHEJ3Y

Rodriguez vs. Wyoming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD0wCu8gmzo

Career Stats...

2009…14 receptions…156 yards…11.14 YPC…3 TDs
2010…21 receptions…247 yards…11.76 YPC…2 TDs
2011…35 receptions…479 yards…13.69 YPC…2 TDs

ChicagoBears.com Breakdown...

Quote:
Honors: Invited to play in the 2012 East-West Shrine Game ... 2011 first-team All-MAC honoree ... 2011 first-team All-MAC by Phil Steele ... 2011 third-team All-MAC by College Sports Madness ... Honorable Mention National TE of the Week by CFP (Oct. 2, 2011) ... National TE of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards (Sept. 25, 2011) ... named to the 2011 John Mackey Award Watch List ... 2011 preseason first-team All-MAC selection by Phil Steele's College Football ... 2011 preseason Tight End of the Year by the CFPA ... 2010 first-team All-MAC honoree ... 2010 ECAC All-Star ... 2010 second-team All-MAC by Phil Steele.

2011: Played in all 13 games with 12 starts ... also played on the punt return and field goal units ... Owls' top receiver with 35 catches for 479 yards and two touchdowns on the season ... had two receptions for 52 yards in the bowl win over Wyoming ... had 39 yards on two receptions in the win over Army ... led the Owls with six receptions for 74 yards in the win over Miami ... had three receptions for 26 yards and a touchdown at Ohio ... had 64 yards and a career-long 55-yard touchdown reception against Toledo ... led the Owls with five receptions for a career-high 96 yards in the win at Maryland ... had two receptions for 14 yards against Penn State ... top Owl with 37 yards on three receptions in the win at Akron ... led the Owls with six receptions for 68 yards in the win over Villanova ... lettered.

2010: Played in 11 games with nine starts ... also played on the field goal, punt return, and kickoff return units ... top TE in receiving and third overall with 247 yards and two touchdowns on 21 receptions ... made a 16-yard reception at Miami ... had two receptions against Ohio ... had three receptions for 28 yards in the win at Kent State ... led the Owls with 41 yards on three receptions in the win at Buffalo ... had a 46-yard touchdown reception in the win over Bowling Green ... had a career-high 43 yards on three receptions, including a 31-yard touchdown reception, at Northern Illinois ... had two receptions for 17 yards in the win at Army ... had two receptions for 7 yards at No. 23/20 Penn State ... had two receptions for 27 yards in the win over Connecticut ... had two receptions for 14 yards in the win over Villanova ... lettered.

2009: Played in all 13 games with seven starts ... also played on the kickoff return unit ... finished the season third in receptions with 145 yards and three touchdowns on 13 catches ... had two receptions against UCLA in the EagleBank Bowl ... made a 23-yard reception at Ohio ... led TU with two catches for 44 yards and a touchdown in the win over Kent State ... made a 13-yard reception in the win over Miami ... had two catches for 11 yards in the win over Ball State ... made a 14-yard touchdown reception in the win at Eastern Michigan ... scored his first touchdown-- a five-yard reception-- in the win over Buffalo ... received the starting nod at No. 5 Penn State ... had a reception against the Nittany Lions ... had a 20-yard reception against Villanova in collegiate debut ... lettered.

2008: Sat out the season under NCAA transfer guidelines.

2007: Redshirted as a true freshman at West Virginia. Transferred to Temple in the fall of 2008.

Phil Emery on Rodriguez...

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/

Rodriguez on being a Bear...

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/

My Take...

This is the first pick I have been really disappointed in…Rodriguez is a flex TE/H-Back at the next level…a flex TE only has value as a receiving weapon…but how is this guy going to get touches of the ball with Marshall, Bennett, Jeffery, Forte, Bush & Davis all in the mix?...he isn't a better blocker than Clutts so I just don't see the value...this pick could have been used on getting a two deep OG or a rotational DT…just seems like a waste of a pick IMO.

More to come...

Last edited by Madmike90 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 6 times in total
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt see this being the pick. He's a different type of player then we have. He can line up as a FB or TE.
CBears019

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of this one.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Brennan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig it. Gives Davis and Spaeth some competition. I actually kinda wanted to draft him, he can play FB as well. BTW, how long did we sign Clutts for?
jspiel24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLDraftScout.com labeled him as a poor man's Aaron Hernandez.

CBears019

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspiel24 wrote:

That's kind of what I thought when I saw him.

AZBearsFan wrote:

CBears019

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was charged with felony assault in 2009, but had it reduced to a misdemeanor.

AZBearsFan wrote:

Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspiel24 wrote:

I'm willing to bet that's what Emery saw as well.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh....I actually think this pick is partly due to us not having a 5th anymore

Also, I wouldnt under estimate the value of a FB in the Tice offense, versatile player, I like it. Would have rather had a DT though.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
raq11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our offense is going to be pretty dynamic. Forte, you want to play too?
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about this guy...but I stumbled on a video of him dunking on everyone in High School Laughing
http://youtu.be/nBrSwQT7bg8

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Not a fan of this one.
Nope.
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a decent pick and he is a versatile player, I just don't know how he will fit in to our offense. If they plan on him mostly being a FB... I don't know what went wrong with clutts cause at times clutts completely mauled guys and created huge holes for forte.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Not a fan of this one.
Nope.
I don't get it either...I just don't see the value that a FB/HB brings to us right now...we have Clutts and even others that could fill that role and Hernandez looks like nothing special to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not love with this pick.

But he is another weapon to the offense and if he can be Aaron Hernandez than all the power to Emery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: