Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With pick #134, MINN selects - Greg Childs [WR] ARK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Not even for the leadership qualities, just for the purpose of having someone that we know can play and is ready to contribute. We simply dont know if Wright or Childs will be able to make plays as a rookie to start the year as Aromashodu did last year. Aromashodu did show he can make in impact play on occasion, though not consistent, he may be more consistent than Childs or Wright week 1.

But maybe Burton does elevate his game to be an outside WR. But as a late 7th round pick, from West Texas AM&, he's got a difficult road ahead.

If we were a potential playoff team, I'd consider what you are saying, but we aren't. I think if Aromashodu does make the team, he will be cut once Simpson returns. If Burton makes the team, I could see him possibly staying on board after week 3.

We may not be a potential playoff team, but you know with Frazier probably on the hot seat, he is going to want to put together the best team on the field he can. I dont see the team having a mindset of well since were probably not a playoff team, lets just keep young players and rebuild. The same who argue for this strategy will be the same that argue for Frazier to be fired when the team finishes 3-13 again.

In Frazier's mind and the player's mind, this team is a playoff contender. If the team doesnt believe this, i would question the competitive integrity of the team and would want everyone fired anyway because if you have the mindset that your not a playoff team, you probably wont ever become one.
heydudemanG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Aromashodu gets cut as being the worse receiver we have I will be happy we got a lot of receiving depth but he looks like one of the better receivers on the team outside of Percy. He's shown something that's more then I can say about a lot of our receivers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities hints that Michael Jenkins' roster spot could be in danger heading into training camp.

Beat writer Tom Pelissero suggests that Jenkins could end up losing his roster spot if fourth-round pick Greg Childs "comes along." A 30-year-old possession receiver, Molasses Mike doesn't play special teams and is owed a $2.5 million salary. The Vikings wouldn't lose much by moving on before the season.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2645/michael-jenkins

#TankItTeddy
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldnt be surprising if Jenkins is let go, if Childs does exceed expectations. Though putting that kind of hope in a 4th rd pick could be harmful given that Jenkins is a fairly solid player.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
It wouldnt be surprising if Jenkins is let go, if Childs does exceed expectations. Though putting that kind of hope in a 4th rd pick could be harmful given that Jenkins is a fairly solid player.

Ponder did really well on 3rd downs last year throwing to Jenkins iirc.

But obviously, if Childs shows something very early in his career, I guess I wouldn't be too upset if we let Jenkins go.

Childs has a high ceiling. If all goes well, I could see him being a great #2, to solid #1 WR in the NFL.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Ponder did really well on 3rd downs last year throwing to Jenkins iirc.

But obviously, if Childs shows something very early in his career, I guess I wouldn't be too upset if we let Jenkins go.

Childs has a high ceiling. If all goes well, I could see him being a great #2, to solid #1 WR in the NFL.

Agreed, Jenkins is a solid guy to have around, especially in 3rd down situations. I wouldnt be terribly disappointed to see him let go because that would likely imply Childs stepped up as the other big and tall receiver on the roster. Childs has #1 WR potential, but it is awfully hard to determine if he will be the type to make an immediate impact, thus making Jenkins expendable. Ultimately, MN is probably better off keeping Jenkins around since he is that older vet who knows the offense, and would be able to spread his veteran knowledge to the young receivers on the team.

I think keeping Jenkins does more good than harm, however, MN will likely have to keep 6 WRs on the roster to avoid cutting one of the younger ones with potential (Childs/Wright/Burton, to go with Harvin/Jenkins/Simpson).
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
ESPN 1500 Twin Cities hints that Michael Jenkins' roster spot could be in danger heading into training camp.

Beat writer Tom Pelissero suggests that Jenkins could end up losing his roster spot if fourth-round pick Greg Childs "comes along." A 30-year-old possession receiver, Molasses Mike doesn't play special teams and is owed a $2.5 million salary. The Vikings wouldn't lose much by moving on before the season.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2645/michael-jenkins

I am so pleasantly surprised at this development. I didn't think I'd see us parting ways with Jenkins, but I like the sound of it very, very much. I won't hate having him around but I'd rather have him out of the picture so our youngsters can get many more valuable snaps.

Peppers90 on the sig.
D-Hemi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I seeing this correctly Yahoo sports shows we Cut WR Greg Childs that doesnt sound right to me
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/min
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:
Am I seeing this correctly Yahoo sports shows we Cut WR Greg Childs that doesnt sound right to me

Are we supposed to save a roster spot for him?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was always going to be cut a la Ballard, can't waste a roster spot on a guy that won't play for a year.

Once he clears waivers he'll go on IR. I doubt a team waists a spot on a player with no NFL experience and a repeating patellar tendon injury.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:

Childs was waived, not cut.

This is customary, you cant simply put a player on injured reserve this time of the year. You have to waive them, and they have to clear waivers.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Childs cleared waivers...he's now on IR.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
And Childs cleared waivers...he's now on IR.

I was worried that New England might pick him up, but he doesn't play Tight End.

And then I started worrying that Seattle would pick him up, because he was "once" a Viking.

We really dodged the bullett there. Laughing

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie receiver Greg Childs, who tore the patellar tendon in both knees during a scrimmage early in training camp, vowed to beat the odds and return to football. Childs said he's been walking for a while without the help of a brace, and has been working daily on rehab.

Childs: "Next season. I'll be back on the field next season. I'll be out there running around, doing my thing, making plays."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/173224001.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Childs can make a successful comeback, but the odds are probably stacked against him. Childs is exactly the type of WR MN needs alongside Harvin and SImpson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: