Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

VR's Super Bowl Week Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: VR's Super Bowl Week Mock Reply with quote

TOP NEEDS

Immediate Starting Needs:

1. Wide Receiver
2. One Technique DT
3. Outside Linebacker or Middle Linebacker (three down Linebacker)
4. Offensive Guard
5. Safety

Depth Needs:

6. Cornerback
7. Backup Quarterback
8. Third Down RB
9. Outisde Linebacker or Middle Linebacker (two down Linebacker)
10. Defensive End

OFFSEASON MOVEMENT

Contracts Restructured or Extended

DE Jared Allen – 4 years; $40,000,000 – Prior to free agency
DT Kevin Williams – 3 years; $14,000,000 – Prior to free agency
CB Antoine Winfeld – 2 years; $10,000,000 – Prior to free agency
OG Charlie Johnson – 1 year; $2,000,000 – Prior to regular season
DE Everson Griffen – 4 years; $15,000,000 – Prior to regular season

Free Agents Resigned

FB Jerome Felton – 4 years; $9,000,000
WR Jerome Simpson – 1 year; $900,000 – Resigned as training camp competition
OT Phil Loadholt – 4 years; $18,000,000
OG Geoff Schwartz – 2 years; $3,000,000
LB Jasper Brinkley – 1 year; $1,500,000
LB Marvin Mitchell – 1 year; $850,000
CB A.J. Jefferson – 1 year; RFA Tender
CB Marcus Sherels – 1 year; ERFA – Resigned as training camp competition
S Jamarca Sanford – 2 years; $2,500,000

Free Agents Not Returning

WR Devin Aromashodu – UFA
OT Troy Kropog - RFA
G/C Joe Berger – UFA
LB Erin Henderson – UFA
S Andrew Sendejo - ERFA

Players Released

WR Michael Jenkins – released prior to free agency
RB Matt Asiata
WR Stephen Burton
DE D’Aundre Reed
LB Larry Dean
CB Marcus Sherels

Free Agents Acquired

WR Greg Jennings – 4 years; $36,000,000

Jennings is the perfect WR for this offense and should be instrumental in the developmental of Christian Ponder and the anticipated young receivers. Jennings is an exceptional route runner and a reliable intermediate and downfield receiver. Jennings excels everywhere on the field, whether he is lined up in the slot or on the outside. He simply knows how to get open. Age and injuries are a legit concern for Jennings, which could turn off potential suitors with younger receivers like Dwayne Bowe and Mike Wallace hitting the market as well. Jennings is from the upper Midwest, and listening to Jennings end of season interview, he seems very bitter about his anticipated departure from the Packers. His house is already on the market in Green Bay despite the fact that it's still January. The Vikings offer four things that should be enticing to Jennings: 1) Money; 2) Adrian Peterson; 3) Upper Midwest; and 4) Opportunity to play the Packers twice (maybe three times) per season.

DT Ricky Jean-Francois – 3 years; $9,500,000

Adding a Defensive Tackle in free agency would be an ideal strategy given that the learning curve for the position tends to be rather prolonged. The Vikings need a strong run defender who can come in from day one and start opposite of Kevin Williams. Jean-Francois looks like a natural fit as a 4-3 one-technique player after spending time with the 49ers as a backup NT. Jean-Francois is a decent pass rusher as well and should see increased production playing in a scheme more tailor made for the defensive line getting up field. I don’t believe that the Vikings will add a Pat Williams like one technique player, I believe the intention will be to add a strong and powerful run defender who can get up field and Jean-Francois has shown some of these traits in San Francisco. The 49ers are tight on salary space so I don’t expect a competitive counter offer to be made.

QB Brian Hoyer – 1 year; $950,000

The Vikings should be in the market for a veteran backup QB and I don’t expect Alex Smith, Matt Moore or Matt Flynn to be serious options. I expect these three players to sign with teams that may offer a more realistic starting opportunity and the starting job will be given to Christian Ponder. Joe Webb showed that he couldn’t effectively step into a game, run the offense and manage a game. Hoyer started the last game of the season for the Cardinals against the 49ers and played decently. Hoyer also spent some time as Tom Brady’s backup; that should count for something!

Pre-Draft Trades

The Vikings trade WR Percy Harvin to the Miami Dolphins for a second round pick (42) and a fourth round pick (108).

I have previously discussed my beliefs on the Harvin situation, so I won’t elaborate on the issue too much. Ultimately, I think the Vikings will be reluctant to commit to a long-term contract with Harvin given the conflicts that he has had with the team. With this expectation, I anticipate the Vikings to explore potential trade options in which Harvin should receive plenty of interest.

The Dolphins are a team desperate for playmakers, especially with reports suggesting that Reggie Bush will not be returning. Harvin should help improve the Dolphins receiving corps and give the team a dynamic player on offense and special teams. The Dolphins have an abundance of draft picks so a second and fourth round pick should be reasonable compensation for the Vikings to consider moving Harvin.

While the common argument against trading Harvin is the idea that trading Harvin weakens an already poor receiving corps., I think a trade may be unavoidable. I am not sure what the Vikings can do to keep Harvin happy in Minnesota and I am sure Leslie Frazier does not want to have that burden on himself and his team. Perhaps money will resolve all of Harvin’s issues, though I would hate to see the Vikings get burned if Harvin does request a trade in the future after signing a big contract.

NFL Draft

Trades:

The Vikings trade a first round pick (23) to the Denver Broncos for a first round pick (28 ) and a fourth round pick (122).

The Vikings trade fourth round picks (99 and 117) to the Washington Redskins for a third round pick (85).

The Vikings trade QB Joe Webb to the Philadelphia Eagles for a conditional draft pick in 2014. Conditions are as follows: start six games = fifth round pick; start fewer than six games = seventh round pick; fails to make final roster = no compensation.

1 (28 ) – D.J. Swearinger – S – South Carolina – via Denver

Quote:
High-motor, downhill run and pass defender who throws his body around, but with some control. Big hitter over the middle on receivers and pounding running backs…Has experience at a variety of positions, and lines up against receivers regularly, using his physicality, agility, and knowledge of routes to stay with them across or down the field. Has the range to split the field in half in two-deep coverage….Best in a two-deep look, might not have the range to make plays and length to take on deep routes in single-high, although South Carolina often asks him to fulfill this role. Straddles the line with trash talk and hits through the whistle. Will likely get flagged and fined for overly-aggressive play….He's played in every game since he arrived on campus, except for the 2012 matchup against Missouri, for which he was suspended after a hit on a defenseless receiver.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

Swearinger is going to be a player to keep an eye on the next couple of months, I think he will be a first round pick. There probably isn’t a more aggressive and physical player at Safety in this year’s class than Swearinger. Having a player with that mentality opposite of Harrison Smith will quickly make the Vikings secondary a feared group. Not only is Swearinger an enforcer in the secondary, he is versatile and athletic enough to have played FS, SS and CB. However, I don’t believe that Swearinger possesses the range to be a single high Safety in the NFL, so his best fit will either be in the box or in deep halves. Despite Swearinger’s physical and aggressive mentality, he never missed a game due to injury despite being a four-year starter. The Safety position is quickly becoming one of the most essential positions on a defense, and while there may be bigger needs, a stud Safety opposite of Smith could potentially make more of an impact than any other position at the end of round one.

2 (42) – Quinton Patton – WR – Louisiana Tech – via Miami

Quote:
Very good acceleration off the line, gets to full speed in a couple of steps and can shimmy to free himself and stick his foot in the ground to get inside position on slants. Stems to separate with good foot quickness on comebacks and out routes, also extends his arm to create space on short and deep routes. Natural hands catcher - catches the ball with his hands away from his body, even when tracking passes over either shoulder….Acrobatic and excellent at adjusting to the ball in the air…Used on quick throws to take advantage of his shiftiness and surprisingly tough running, lowers his shoulder and is not easy for smaller cornerbacks to drag down after the catch. Shows fight as a run blocker….Plays with a feisty attitude.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

Patton measuring at 6-0 could potentially hurt his stock slightly, if team’s show preference for 6-2 + WRs. Despite Patton’s lack of ideal height, he plays bigger than he is and is a terrific natural receiver. Patton makes catches all over the field and should give the team a legit big play threat on the outside. I also like the fact that Patton is physical and was used in the short passing game as a YAC receiver. Given Patton’s physical style of play, he could be used in the same capacity as Harvin in the short passing game. Patton is ideally suited to be an outside receiver and will be expected to be a day one starter. I expect Patton to be the fourth or fifth WR off the board, which should put him in the early part of round two.

2 (52) – Khaseem Greene – OLB – Rutgers

Quote:
Chase linebacker who takes advantage of open lanes to track ballcarriers behind the line or from behind. Consistently goes for the strip or takes a strong punch at the ball… Maintains the movement skills of a safety in coverage, proving capable of lining up over tight ends and slot receivers and running deep down the middle third when asked. An aware zone defender, watching the quarterback to come off crossers and make a play on the ball…. Greene appears to be a prototypical 4-3 weak-side linebacker. He has tremendous speed and athletic ability.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/khaseem-greene?id=2539297

Greene is another player that I picked out as a fantastic fit for the Vikings defense. Greene is a fantastic player in coverage and has a nose for the football. Greene is generally a reliable tackler in space and is best suited to play WLB. Greene also possesses the skill set in zone coverage to be a Tampa 2 nickel MLB. Greene has safety like ability in coverage down field and this skill should be a welcomed addition for a unit that has struggled in coverage assignments over the years.

3 (83) – Dwayne Gratz – CB – Connecticut

Quote:
Combines NFL height and overall strength to be an intriguing outside corner prospect. Stays low in his stance and when opening up in bail coverage. Good closing ability, quick to attack short passes to knock them away or make the tough tackle. No problem staying with receivers down the sideline when in man, can win the battle for the deep ball. Aggressive hitter, can put his helmet on the ball or cut down ball carriers equally well near the line or in space.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/dwayne-gratz?id=2539946

Gratz has the height and athleticism to play on the outside and the size and quickness to play in the slot. I like Gratz a lot as a surprise riser at CB. Gratz should is a natural fit as a zone CB and is an aggressive run defender. Gratz projects to be the Vikings fifth CB but could be viewed as a potential replacement for Antoine Winfield.

3 (85) – Hugh Thornton – OG – Illinois – via Washington

Quote:
Thornton went through extreme difficulties as a child, seeing his parents get divorced, finding his mother and sister murdered while visiting them in Jamaica over Christmas break in 2004, and eventually moving to Ohio before his senior year in high school to live with his aunt after being abused by his father while living with him in Idaho. He also hurt his own cause by being arrested for underage consumption in Champaign in 2009 and attempting to use a fake ID card the following fall.

Tenacious blocker once engaged either in the run game or pass pro, finishes blocks to the ground whenever necessary. Good quickness from his stance….. Very good upper body strength to latch onto and stone targets, possesses footwork to stay with them throughout the play…. Quick feet…..Uses athleticism and length as an effective cut blocker in space to take out defenders.Tall for an interior player, but lacks pure lateral movement to stay outside at the next level.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/hugh-thornton?id=2539649

Thornton has bounced around at LT and LG at Illinois and is best served to remain at LG at the next level. Thornton is tenacious and should give the Vikings a boost in the run game running left. The Vikings dominated running right, but they did not have the same success running behind Charlie Johnson. The Vikings weak link along the offensive line is Johnson and Thornton should be a suitable replacement. Whether or not Thornton is an opening day starter remains to be seen, I expect a four-way battle for two starting spots between Johnson, Fusco, Schwartz and Thornton. Thornton’s experience at OT should help the Vikings as they look to fill out its depth along the Offensive Line.

4 (108) – Lavar Edwards – DE – LSU – via Miami

Quote:
Tall, long defensive end who plays both sides of the line. Third in rotation but gets plenty of snaps at either side and even on the interior on passing downs. Great motor, chases the quarterback to the sideline and turns to find the ball carrier on completed passes behind him. Also crashes backside to clean up dancing running back. Sheds hands quickly when asked to spy and has the lateral speed to keep up with the running back in the flat…. scouts can see he has the physical tools to contribute as a mid-round 4-3 defensive end prospect able to play on either side of the line of scrimmage.

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lavar-edwards?id=2539938

Edwards was overshadowed by Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo at LSU, but is a solid prospect in his own right. Edwards has ideal length and size at 6-5 260 pounds and has experience playing the interior pass rushing role that the Vikings prefer from its third DE. I expect Allen and Griffen to receive new contracts but I am not certain about Robison’s future beyond 2013. If the Vikings can add a versatile backup like Edwards to groom for a year, the decision to resign Robison could be much easier (and cheaper).

4 (122) – Chris Gragg – TE – Arkansas – via Denver

Quote:
Striding straight-line speed helps him separate from linebackers in the middle of the field, which are often open as the team’s gaggle of receivers open up the defense. Possesses receiver-like hands, adjusting to poor throws and going up to snatch passes above his head. Strong runner after the catch... Gives good effort as an in-line and downfield blocker, using his length and a strong attitude to attacking his target.

What the Vikings really lack is a TE who can be moved all around the formation and create mismatches. Gragg’s lack of bulk may inhibit him from developing into an in-line TE. However, Gragg has nice athleticism and natural receiving skills and should be able to play an H-Back role like Chris Cooley or Delanie Walker. I expect the Vikings to only carry three TEs, which means John Carlson will likely be out of a job.

5 (148) – Kerwynn Williams – RB – Utah State

Quote:
Used out wide in five receiver sets, understands to sit in soft areas as a receiver. Adequate pass-catcher out of the backfield, contorts body to adjust to poorthrows…. Very reliable to catch the target on short routes, even when hit immediately… Can take a screen to the endzone if given a lane due to little wasted movement… He excelled as a kick returner, however, already grabbing the WAC record for career yardage (3,392 from 2009-11) and took advantage of any opportunities he received as the team’s third option (6.7 yards per carry in 2011).

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/kerwynn-williams?id=2539980

Williams is an ideal fit as a third down RB and should be a nice change of pace RB. Williams has excellent receiving skills and should be able to do some of the same things that Harvin did in the short area passing game with screens, drags and wheel routes out of the back field and split out wide. Additionally, Williams is a good kick returner and will replace Harvin in that role as well. Gerhart is not an effective backup RB for what the Vikings need from the position, I’d love to add a traditional receiving back.

7 (197) – Jasper Collins – WR – Mount Union – via Arizona

Mount Union has produced a lot of receiving talent in recent years, such as Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts. Collins looks like a complimentary receiver at the next level who has also served as a punt returner and should resume that role with the Vikings.

7 (213) – Kapron Lewis-Moore – DT – Notre Dame

Quote:
Plays the three and five-technique positions well utilizing his tall, thick build. Possesses a nice combination of strength… Despite average production and a right knee injury that ended his junior season prematurely, Lewis-Moore has shown the combination of size and athleticism to become either a starting five-technique or three-technique defensive tackle at the next level..

source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/kapron-lewis-moore?id=2539276

Lewis-Moore looked like a solid middle round DT prospect prior to a major knee injury in the last game of the season. The Vikings take a chance on Lewis-Moore with the expectation that he starts the season on the PUP list. Lewis-Moore looks like a UT prospect, and should be able to push for a roster spot in 2014.

FINAL ROSTER

QB (3) – Christian Ponder | Brian Hoyer | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB (3) – Adrian Peterson | Toby Gerhart | Kerwynn Williams
FB (1) – Jerome Felton
WR (6) – Greg Jennings | Quinton Patton | Jarius Wright | Jerome Simpson | Jasper Collins | Greg Childs
TE (3) – Kyle Rudolph | Rhett Ellison | Chris Gragg
OT (4) – Matt Kalil | Phil Loadholt | Charlie Johnson | DeMarcus Love
OG (3) – Brandon Fusco | Hugh Thornton | Geoff Schwartz
C (1) – John Sullivan | Brandon Fusco

DE (4) – Jared Allen | Brian Robison | Everson Griffen | Lavar Edwards
DT (5) – Kevin Williams | Ricky Jean-Francois | Fred Evans | Letroy Guion | Christian Ballard | Kapron Lewis-Moore (PUP)
OLB (3) – Chad Greenway | Khaseem Greene | Marvin Mitchell
MLB (3) – Jasper Brinkley | Tyrone McKenzie | Audie Cole
CB (6) – Chris Cook | Josh Robinson | Antoine Winfield | A.J. Jefferson | Dwayne Gratz | Brandon Burton
S (5) – Harrison Smith | D.J. Swearinger | Jamarca Sanford | Mistral Raymond | Robert Blanton

ST (3) – Blair Walsh | Chris Kluwe | Cullen Loeffler

Starters and Primary Contributors

QB – Christian Ponder
RB – Adrian Peterson | Kerwynn Williams (3rd down RB)
FB – Jerome Felton
WR – Greg Jennings
WR – Quinton Patton
WR – Jarius Wright
TE – Kyle Rudolph
TE – Rhett Ellison
LT – Matt Kalil
LG – Hugh Thornton
C – John Sullivan
RG – Brandon Fusco
RT – Phil Loadholt

LE – Brian Robison
DT – Ricky Jean-Francois
DT – Kevin Williams | Christian Ballard (nickel DT)
RE – Jared Allen
DL – Everson Griffen (nickel DT)
SLB – Chad Greenway (nickel OLB)
MLB – Jasper Brinkley
WLB – Khaseem Greene (nickel MLB)
LCB – Chris Cook
FS – Harrison Smith
SS – D.J. Swearinger
RCB – Josh Robinson
NCB – Antoine Winfield
DCB – A.J. Jefferson

KR – Kerwynn Williams
PR – Jasper Collins

K – Blair Walsh
P – Chris Kluwe
LS – Cullen Loeffler

FUTURE NEEDS

1) DT – Still need a long-term replacement for Kevin Williams at UT, maybe Ballard will continue to progress.
2) CB – Cook will be a free agent in 2014 and Winfield is likely to retire after season fifteen.
3) WR – Jennings will be 31 in 2014.
4) MLB – Brinkley isn’t a long-term starter, though Greenway and Greene should be viable 3 down Linebackers; may only need a two down player.
5) DE – Will Brian Robison return in 2014? Can Griffen start at LE? Can Edwards play pass-rushing DT?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid draft however,

Winfield extension doesn't make sense when he's already said he's playing out his contract, getting his 15 years, and likely walking out the door.

Extending Williams three years when he still has two years left makes no sense. and likely costs this team guaranteed money

Charlie Johnson's contract is voidable following next year and don't quite understand what you're saying with a one year - 2,000,000 contact.

Your contract for Loadholt seems a bit low as I seem him getting at least $5M since he could easily get that on the open market IMO.

All of my issues with this off-season stem from these contracts.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Solid draft however,

Winfield extension doesn't make sense when he's already said he's playing out his contract, getting his 15 years, and likely walking out the door.

Extending Williams three years when he still has two years left makes no sense. and likely costs this team guaranteed money

Charlie Johnson's contract is voidable following next year and don't quite understand what you're saying with a one year - 2,000,000 contact.

Your contract for Loadholt seems a bit low as I seem him getting at least $5M since he could easily get that on the open market IMO.

All of my issues with this off-season stem from these contracts.

Good point on Winfield, if his intention is to play out his contract. Though if Winfield is given an option of an extension, is a sure thing that he declines? Does he only want to play 15 years or is that simply speculation since he has one year left on his curretn deal. This situation will be interesting.

on to Williams, basically, if he is kept id like to see him get an extension in return for reduced salary for the 2013/2014. Basically, give Williams some added years to his deal in exchange for salary commitment. though i think the Vikings end up giving him a choice to take whatever deal is offered or get released. In fact, I was almost going to have him released in the mock but I am not sure how I feel about Ballard stepping up as a starter at UT. I wouldnt expect a rookie DT to come in from day one and start.

I do agree on Loadholt, he should approach $5M on the open market, though 4 years;$18M is essentially $4.5 on avg. Bumping that up to $22M could be viewed as possibly more probably if Loadholt hit the open market. that is no sure thing and if the Vikes put a decent deal together before free agency, which I expect them to do, they could potentially get a slightly below market type contract.

Basically, Johnson is getting an additional extension for a lower cap hit in 2013 and is essentially signed through 2014.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson really has no incentive to sign a deal like that. He gets his 4.5M from the Vikes this year and then they can void his contract if they want or keep him cheap. He's already, technically, signed through 2015.

Williams is much more likely to get a restructure than extension. He would probably jump at the opportunity for more guaranteed money and it would lower his 2013 cap hit significantly.

Winfield has publicly stated that when he was drafted he wanted to make the pro bowl and play 15 years in the NFL. I think he specifically signed his new deal to take him right up to 15 years.

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearinger has first round talent but I doubt he ends up there. Like you said, he is a tenacious player who possesses impressive range and closing speed. However, he has been a huge liability for the gamecocks in terms of how he conducts himself. He is a huge trash talker on the field and I've never seen one player draw as much personal fouls as he does. He is good for at least two a game ranging from hitting a defenseless receiver to taunting. He makes a lot of bonehead decisions on the field that cost the team and I just don't see Spielman or other teams taking him in the first.

If we were to move Harvin, I love the overhaul of the WR position. Greg Jennings and Quinton Patton would be a great duo on the perimeter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Uno, I couldn't think of a better receiver for Patton to learn from than Greg Jennings.

Both quicker than fast and rely on route running for separation.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Swearinger has first round talent but I doubt he ends up there. Like you said, he is a tenacious player who possesses impressive range and closing speed. However, he has been a huge liability for the gamecocks in terms of how he conducts himself. He is a huge trash talker on the field and I've never seen one player draw as much personal fouls as he does. He is good for at least two a game ranging from hitting a defenseless receiver to taunting. He makes a lot of bonehead decisions on the field that cost the team and I just don't see Spielman or other teams taking him in the first.

If we were to move Harvin, I love the overhaul of the WR position. Greg Jennings and Quinton Patton would be a great duo on the perimeter.

I do agree on Swearinger and his attitude. He's got a bit of Jamarca Sanford and Harrison Smith in him combined into one. Swearinger did miss a game to a hit on a defenseless receiver. But I guess I cant complain from my Safetys having that kind of attitude as long as they arent costing the team too much in penalty yards. Receivers will think twice about going over the middle, and QBs will be reluctant to leave the receivers out to dry. Smith and Swearinger could be the most fined starting tandem in the league Laughing

Yep, I like the combo of Jennings and Patton. They both will improve the intermediate passing game, which needs to be improved. Both players have enough down field ability as well to keep defenses honest. Simpson is the wild card and if he could step up as the #3 WR and down field threat (pushing Jennings to the slot in 3 wide sets), its a decent trio. Though I am high on Jarius Wright as a slot receiver.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Johnson really has no incentive to sign a deal like that. He gets his 4.5M from the Vikes this year and then they can void his contract if they want or keep him cheap. He's already, technically, signed through 2015.

Williams is much more likely to get a restructure than extension. He would probably jump at the opportunity for more guaranteed money and it would lower his 2013 cap hit significantly.

Winfield has publicly stated that when he was drafted he wanted to make the pro bowl and play 15 years in the NFL. I think he specifically signed his new deal to take him right up to 15 years.

I wonder if the threats of taking a pay cut or be released will impact Johnson or Williams in anyway. They likely wont see nearly as much on the open market, perhaps they take a deal more favorable to the Vikes then themselves. Didnt the same thing basically happen with Michael Jenkins?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Vikings have great leverage with either.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I don't think the Vikings have great leverage with either.

Williams has also commented on wanting to finish his career with the team that drafted him. At this point in his career, he may have little interest in starting anew somewhere else.

I think the Vikes have as much leverage with Johnson as they did with Jenkins. Johnson like Jenkins is a poor starter and likely wont see a starting opportunity anywhere else. Johnson may not see a multi million dollar contract in another situation.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we cut Johnson we won't have another guard under contract on the roster. This is why I feel they have no leverage. He's also not a poor starter at left guard. Not to mention the fact that he can backiup 4/5 positions on the line if we need him too.

I don't feel they have leverage with Williams for the same reason as they don't have a realistic backup plan.

Michael Jenkins was part of a poor receiving group that wasn't going to take a large hit if they cut him.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
If we cut Johnson we won't have another guard under contract on the roster. This is why I feel they have no leverage. He's also not a poor starter at left guard. Not to mention the fact that he can backiup 4/5 positions on the line if we need him too.

I don't feel they have leverage with Williams for the same reason as they don't have a realistic backup plan.

Michael Jenkins was part of a poor receiving group that wasn't going to take a large hit if they cut him.

I put a note on Johnson stating that he signed his deal before the start of the regular season. By then, Scwhartz was resigned and Thornton will have surpassed him on the depth chart.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that brings me back to a one year extension for a guy with three years left on his deal technically.

Johnson is either getting cut or staying on his current deal. Not much else makes sense contract wise.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
But that brings me back to a one year extension for a guy with three years left on his deal technically.

Johnson is either getting cut or staying on his current deal. Not much else makes sense contract wise.

So maybe restructure isn't the right word, there have before been guys cut at the end of training camp and then brought back after week 1 for depth reasons and to reduce the cap hit with the understanding the whole time that was going to happen.

twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearinger is undisciplined. The ole Ball coach can't keep him under control what makes you think Fraizer can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMGtpHoLu2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Udszb-aClw

dude is trash.

no problem with anything else though.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: