Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kamerion Wimbley Role Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Kamerion Wimbley Role Change Reply with quote

Kamerion Wimbley - DL - Titans

Titans coach Mike Munchak confirmed RE Kam Wimbley's role has "changed" and "been reduced" this season.
He's going to be a sub-package rusher only behind LE Ropati Pitoitua and RE Derrick Morgan. The Titans were not pleased with how Wimbley performed as an every-down defensive end in 2012, particularly his run defense. Wimbley is probably in his last year with Tennessee. His 2014 base salary is $6 million.

https://twitter.com/TitanInsider247/status/373562531769745408
TITANSEATPEOPLE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 million for a reduced role...cool...
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet consolation prize for missing out on Mario. Thanks, Bud.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Still would rather have Wimbley and his contract than Mario's to be honest.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

That's crazy talk. There's no justification for spending that much money on a free agent that loses his job after a season. Williams is making an astounding amount of money, but at least he's a starter.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

That's crazy talk. There's no justification for spending that much money on a free agent that loses his job after a season. Williams is making an astounding amount of money, but at least he's a starter.
The difference between Williams and Wimbley is essentially Jason McCourty and Andy Levitre. I know which side I would prefer.

Edit: Okay, maybe it's not that significant. But the guaranteed money needed to sign Mario would take the guaranteed money that we gave to Wimbley, McCourty, Levitre and Delanie Walker.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

The difference between Williams and Wimbley is essentially Jason McCourty and Andy Levitre. I know which side I would prefer.

Edit: Okay, maybe it's not that significant. But the guaranteed money needed to sign Mario would take the guaranteed money that we gave to Wimbley, McCourty, Levitre and Delanie Walker.

And yet it's still better than paying anything for a FA that loses his damn job after one season. It's just completely absurd.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

And yet it's still better than paying anything for a FA that loses his damn job after one season. It's just completely absurd.
Is it really though? I honestly feel like we're in better shape throwing away money on Wimbley than we would be guaranteeing Mario $50 million of a $100 million deal. Not that either is an ideal situation, but I'm still glad we didn't sign Mario and that is the only positive about the whole Manning fiasco last offseason.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

Is it really though? I honestly feel like we're in better shape throwing away money on Wimbley than we would be guaranteeing Mario $50 million of a $100 million deal. Not that either is an ideal situation, but I'm still glad we didn't sign Mario and that is the only positive about the whole Manning fiasco last offseason.

Eh, ok.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously we would be better off without Wimbley. But I'm not sure the roster as a whole would be any better had we signed Mario instead.

Anyways, we'll see what role Wimbley has this year. If he can be an effective situational pass-rusher, that still has plenty of value on this team.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Ropati pans out, I think we go DE in one of our first two rounds.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

Eh, ok.

You would rather have a terrible, always injured Mario instead of all those FAs listed plus a terrible Wimbley?

Are you just arguing for arguing's sake?
s_camp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
s_camp wrote:

Eh, ok.

You would rather have a terrible, always injured Mario instead of all those FAs listed plus a terrible Wimbley?

Are you just arguing for arguing's sake?

No, believe it or not my having a different opinion than you doesn't make me a troll.

Nice strawman, btw. I didn't say I'd rather have Williams than all those players. I said it's completely absurd for a team's big FA signing to lose his job after one season, to a journeyman no less. Frankly, I'm on pretty solid ground with that comment.

Even if I had been arguing for the hell of it, "Eh, ok" was a pretty obvious capitulation.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduced role and not starting does not = no value. Heck, he could be more valuable to the team in that role, providing valuable pressure in those situations (he'll clearly be fresher down the stretch of games and the season since he's not playing the run downs).

But yeah.... $6M next year for a reduced role seems unlikely. This year he "only" carries a $4M salary. If they can get 8 sacks + other pressures for that $4, its not horrible.

The only way you can justify this move over Mario is that... even if Kam is cut cut after this season, it ended up being a 2 year, $15.5M contract. Not bad for what was the best pass rusher left in the market at that time. Mario Williams, on the other hand, would cost Buffalo $33.6M in those same first 2 years would they cut him this year. If that seems too steep to cut after 2 years and they keep him another year, tack on an additional $14.6M for next year, making the total 3 years, $48.2M.

Put in that perspective, the Kam signing was not a bad one. He was the best that was left, and at less than half the cost of what Williams cost (in terms of guaranteed money... but in terms of total contract... its under 40%!).

I was mad at the circumstances that led to the Titans not signing Mario. But I can admit when I'm wrong... and when the old man still gets them right. Had Bud gotten his golden forehead last offseason, we're a playoff team last year, and we'd be preparing for a deep run again this year. I still have hope that Locker can be the future for us... and he may start turning it around this year... but those Manning #s would have looked real nice in Nashville last year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Wimbley's Contract Details, as taken from Rotoworld.com

3/20/2012: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal contains $13.5 million guaranteed, including a $9 million signing bonus and all of Wimbley's first-year base salary. 2013: $4 million, 2014: $6 million, 2015: $6.5 million, 2016: $7 million, 2017: Free Agent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: