Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the Lions Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honalulufan20

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Grade the Lions Draft Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see some of the grades of our draft this year, considering some of the picks were some what controversial. Now the real grade of this draft is more accurately assessed in 3 or 4 years but it's interesting to hear some of your initial reactions.

1- Riley Reiff OT Iowa
Grade- A
-While I would have rather had Decastro you cannot possibly argue that Reiff doesn't present an equal or greater value than the guard. A tackle that was widely considered a Top 10 to 15 prospect falling to 23 makes this pick a good one, especially considering that we need a bit of a youth movement on the O-line in order to protect Stafford for the coming decade.

2- Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
Grade- B
-I truly believe that Peter Konz was the right pick here, and may end up being the better player long term. Getting Konz and Reiff would have made this draft very good regardless of who the other picks were and I felt like Mayhew may have missed an opportunity to better this team for a long time. Regardless of that Broyles is a very productive, tough and quick possession receiver with good hands and presents Stafford with a very good target for years to come, assuming Broyles can return from a season ending ACL tear just six months ago.

3- Dwight Bentley CB Louisiana Lafayette
Grade- B+
-A good value with Bentley, who was considered to be a guy that would be taken in the late second early third range. Bentley is a little undersized but is a superb athlete who preformed well against premier competition such as the tandem of Justin Blackmon and Brandon Weeden. Could come in and immediately compete for the #2 cornerback position.

4- Ronnell Lewis OLB Oklahoma
Grade- A
-Great value pick. Lewis was supposed to be a second round pick that ended up sliding into the ladder half of the fourth. Lewis presents an intriguing prospect as he is a good pass rusher and displays the athleticism to play OLB in a pinch in a 4-3.

5- Tahir Whitehead LB Temple
Grade- C
-Was a mysterious pick to me, a linebacker who wasn't well known and doesn't really have a true position. Whitehead is a hard worker and an overachiever despite what he may lack athletically.

5- Chris Greenwood CB Albion
Grade- B+
-I don't really feel like we had to trade up to get Greenwood, but I'm glad we picked him. He has elite size and athleticism at 6-2 200 while running a 4.3 and jumping 42" vertically. Cunningham compared him to Brandon Carr, whom he had picked from Grand Valley State and developed into a corner worth a 5-year 50 million dollar contract from the cowboys.

6- Jonte Green CB NMSU
Grade- B-
-I really wanted Antonio Allen or Travis Lewis (whom we picked later) at this spot. That said this pick fills a need and brings in more camp competition for a spot at corner.

7- Travis Lewis LB Oklahoma
Grade- A+
-By far the best value pick of our draft. Lewis is an athletic linebacker that can play in any spot in the 4-3 and was super productive in his earlier collegiate years. At the very least he could push Houge and play special teams.

Overall Grade- B+/A-

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the next couple days I think I am going to do a full draft layout so I will save my ratings for then Wink
tippitover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it a bish grade but i think in a couple of years it could turn into an a + if our other picks pan out. i think some teams that have a "a" grade now may be a little disappointed down the road. I tell you now though i really like this draft even if when the picks were announced i was less than amused.

Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Team Stylish
wackotae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a c+ didn't draft any player to help there run game. should have got a guard or center. not 20 linebackers or corners. the broyles pick was stupid. not that he a receiver because they could have got a corner or guard instead. also the lions need more big receivers. beside cj all there receiver are barley 6'0. Chicago got two. how our we going to stop them. would have like decaustro instead of reiff but at least we got a tackle to replace Backus.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackotae wrote:
a c+ didn't draft any player to help there run game. should have got a guard or center. not 20 linebackers or corners. the broyles pick was stupid. not that he a receiver because they could have got a corner or guard instead. also the lions need more big receivers. beside cj all there receiver are barley 6'0. Chicago got two. how our we going to stop them. would have like decaustro instead of reiff but at least we got a tackle to replace Backus.

This entire draft can help our run game.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
1King

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackotae wrote:

An OL doesn't help the run game?

As in our 1st round pick who is an OL, doesn't help our run game?

Confused

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
wackotae wrote:

only Reiff can, you could make an argument for Broyles too.

Funny thing is, if we picked OL and RB then he would be complaining about the lack of back 7. People need to realize Rome wasn't built in a day and we're not going to be able to fill all of our holes with 1 draft. I think it's likely that 1 LB and 1 DB ends up sticking and is a productive starter, assuming Reiff and Broyles pan out, that would make this draft very successful.

I give it a B right now.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackotae wrote:

There's no point in analyzing this draft right now - the Lions are not in the position of having to draft for this year. I love the Reiff pick, but he's got to get stronger to play RT and won't start over Backus this year. Broyles is a risk/reward pick that could give them a really good receiving corps for many years. Bentley is a nickel corner that could turn into a starter down the road. Lewis will be a situational pass-rusher and STer, and the rest of the guys are practice teamers and depth.

I don't see a single 2012 starter out of this year's draft. That being said, there are four or five guys that could be forming the core of the team in three years. That, to me, is the most impressive aspect of this draft - that management didn't panic and didn't reach for a player to fill a need. They're thinking long-term. It's a paradigm shift for fans to have to handle, but they better get used to it; that's how you build a successful franchise, so that when you can't afford to keep your stars, you've been developing inexpensive young talent and know that they can step in and play the part.

I have no idea if these players are going to make it, but then again, neither do the "experts," who are less accurate than weather forecasters. This could be a very good draft, but it goes against the grain. That alone makes me really want to defend it.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiff is a great pick. He may start at RT or perhaps they put him on the left side and move Backus to the right.

As Laimbrane indicated its to early to grade the draft due to circumstance.

At first glance everyone including the draft ncks on this site will be quick to give the Lions a low grade because some of the players are relative unknowns. Others don't have natural positions or under performed and fell.

I expect it will take three years to fully evaluate this draft and just like in years past with Mayhew drafting we will understand why he selected the players he did.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
wackotae wrote:

Funny thing is, if we picked OL and RB then he would be complaining about the lack of back 7. People need to realize Rome wasn't built in a day and we're not going to be able to fill all of our holes with 1 draft. I think it's likely that 1 LB and 1 DB ends up sticking and is a productive starter, assuming Reiff and Broyles pan out, that would make this draft very successful.

I give it a B right now.

Actually, better defensive and ST's play can help our run game, too. We didnt just throw the ball 700 times because we couldnt run; alot of it had to do with us coming from behind in games. If games are closer, we can establish the run game better. Also, in games where we can pull away but dont (ie. Carolina, who couldnt stop our run), we can run more if our D our ST's doesnt let them back in it.

Helping our run game isnt simply done by building on offense.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
wackotae wrote:

I give it a B right now.

There is this guy named Leshoure that we drafted in the second round last year that will help the run game. Kevin Smith was very good when healthy as was Javhid Best. I would say getting healthy greatly improves our run game. Adding an o lineman also improves our run game. Adding another weapon for the defense to account for will help, especially since having Broyles on the field instead of Scheff/Grew would mean another DB and one less LB on the field. I would say that all helps the run game.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
wackotae wrote:

I give it a B right now.

Actually, better defensive and ST's play can help our run game, too. We didnt just throw the ball 700 times because we couldnt run; alot of it had to do with us coming from behind in games. If games are closer, we can establish the run game better. Also, in games where we can pull away but dont (ie. Carolina, who couldnt stop our run), we can run more if our D our ST's doesnt let them back in it.

Helping our run game isnt simply done by building on offense.

It doesn't improve our ability to run the ball. You can build the biggest, nastiest defense in the history of the NFL and it's not going to improve your team in that regard. I do admit, however, that it will put your team in a better position to run the ball because you are more likely to get bigger leads due to not giving up as many points (as you noted).

Our problem is that we lack push up front, not that we can't gain a lead. We just didn't have the ability last year.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
MvpMattStafford

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you read my grades, I need to warn everyone I hit up the Mayhew Kool-aid hard! lol

Reiff - LTOTF at 23 = A+

Broyles - Getting the perfect slot guy to compliment CJ and Young while allowing a 2013 cap cut of 4.5 million in Burleson = A+

Bentley - Probably starting nickel corner with potential to become a solid number 2 in the 3rd round = A

R. Lewis - Getting an instant ST's "Hammer" and a future Solid DE(4-3) OLB (3-4 looks) in the 4th = A

Whitehead - (Don't know a ton about him)Seems like a project and I love we are planning for the future but the trade up makes this pick = B-

Greenwood - From what I have read he seems like he has the hips, speed and cover skills to become a future star with development and time. For where he was taken this is my favorite pick of the draft = A++++

Green - (Again don't know a ton about him) but appears to be an amazing athlete project that can become very good with time and coaching. For where he was taken the pick = B

T. Lewis - Not sure what happened his senior year (I understand injuries hurt him) but hopefully he didn't slide bc teams think his senior year is an accurate prediction of what's to come. Still a great 7th rd pick so = A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiff - A. We needed an heir apparent to Jeff Backus, and we wound up getting the 2nd best tackle in the draft at the 23rd pick. Great value.

Broyles - D+. I'd be lying if I said it was the best pick we could have made. I understand we're not drafting solely for the player's 2012 impact, but even if this is Burleson's last year, we're pretty crowded at offensive skill positions to the point that Broyles is going to have a hard time getting and staying on the field. Even if he does, it minimizes the impact you get from Titus Young or Pettigrew. The ACL injury and the fact that he was projected mostly in the 3rd round also hurt my opinion of the pick. ACL injuries can have a detrimental effect on a player's long-term ability to make cuts, which is a crucial skill for a slot-type receiver like Broyles.

Bentley - A. I would have been okay with him in the second round. Getting him in third is nice.

Ronnell Lewis - B. Good value, I just don't know how the guy fits into the defense. He's a 'tweener type of OLB/DE hybrid that's too short for DE but not athletic enough for LB. He'll take a couple of years before he's probably able to make an impact outside of special teams. But for a fourth round pick, that's fine.

Whitehead - D. I don't know what's so attractive about him that the Lions decided they should trade a 4th round pick this year for him.

Greenwood - B+. He's a developmental prospect for sure, but he's about as athletic a cornerback as you're going to find in the NFL. He apparently has a 42 inch vertical jump and runs 4.33. He's 6'1 and 193 pounds, great size for a cornerback. It's hard not to like this pick, but I'm marking him down a little because division three prospects almost never stick in the NFL.

Green - C-. There's always weird stuff going on in the draft at this point and it's usually guys you never hear of, but this is the third CB we drafted and he's probably not going to make the roster unless we keep seven corners.

Travis Lewis - A. This guy was getting mocked in the 2nd round last year. I realize he's small and not particularly athletic, but he looks good on the field and that's what counts.

Overall - B-. I think we probably got two eventual starters (Reiff almost immediately, Bentley in a year or two) and another key contributor (Broyles, at some point, once we lose Burleson and he's had time to rehab) in this draft. Our later round picks feature a couple of nice upside guys (Greenwood and Ronnell Lewis) and potentially the next Zack Follett (Travis Lewis). Jonte Green and Tahir Whitehead are both pretty confusing picks, but we'll see what they can do.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is good or not but skip bayless said we had the best draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: