Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carlton Mitchell??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browns25

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Carlton Mitchell?? Reply with quote

I keep seeing his name left out of the receivers discussion...why? now granted he hasn't done much since he was drafted 3 years ago, he made a few cameos at the end of last year and managed to get open and catch a few balls. Why not finally see what he's got? Big, fast...but raw! He can't be any worse than MoMass!!
cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carlton Mitchell?? Reply with quote

Browns25 wrote:
I keep seeing his name left out of the receivers discussion...why? now granted he hasn't done much since he was drafted 3 years ago, he made a few cameos at the end of last year and managed to get open and catch a few balls. Why not finally see what he's got? Big, fast...but raw! He can't be any worse than MoMass!!

He got hurt last year in training camp. Before that he looked like he was coming on a bit. This will probably be his last chance this year. He is not the only one. I'd say Mohard and Lauvao also better make big strides. Mitchell was a development project when he was drafted. I have not gave up on any of these players yet.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Carlton Mitchell?? Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Browns25 wrote:

He got hurt last year in training camp. Before that he looked like he was coming on a bit. This will probably be his last chance this year.

cattleman is right. The training camp injury happened at the worst possible time. The only way you can make up for lost time is to shine in practice, and most reports seem to be that Mitchell is less than impressive in practice. He has a serious issue with drops. This is his final year to prove himself, and if he doesn't show some significant progress, I won't be surprised at all if he's cut before the season starts.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carlton Mitchell?? Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Browns25 wrote:

He got hurt last year in training camp. Before that he looked like he was coming on a bit. This will probably be his last chance this year.

cattleman is right. The training camp injury happened at the worst possible time. The only way you can make up for lost time is to shine in practice, and most reports seem to be that Mitchell is less than impressive in practice. He has a serious issue with drops. This is his final year to prove himself, and if he doesn't show some significant progress, I won't be surprised at all if he's cut before the season starts.

The good news for him is we drafted Weeden.

All I've ever heard about Mitchell is that he's a big, fast WR who can get down the field. Unfortunately, until now we haven't had a qb on the roster who could routinely take advantage of that skill set.

Hopefully this summer we will all start to see some of the things that the coaches must have seen, at least flashes of, in practice.

The guy has hung around for a while for someone who has contributed absolutely nothing, so they must see some real potential in the kid.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really had much faith in the kid. I don't think his physical tools are special enough to continue wasting a roster spot on.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hear his name left out? I constantly see his name brought up and I'm not sure why. I was a big fan of him heading into the year he was drafted, but he's done nothing to show that he can become a good player. Now, I haven't completely lost hope for him to develop as many receivers take three years to get going and McCoy's lack of arm strength didn't benefit him.

I'm not expecting much from Mitchell. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and he becomes a good receiver.
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is his last year to prove himself as well.

I want the guy to succeed, but he just hasn't shown it yet. Having said that, with the addition of Benjamin, he probably has till the 3 or 4th pre season game to show his worth.

We carried 6 receivers last year, we won't carry 7. Assuming Benjamin has one spot locked, Mitchell will probably be the odd man out. Unless he outperformes MoMass or Norwood gets canned.
Browns25

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points of view by all! I especially like the point about us finally having a QB now that can get the ball vertical! It'll be interesting to watch to say the least, while I agree the Weeden can make the Recievers better, I just wonder how much is actually on the QB...until there comes a point and the FO says ok this guy and this guy, we know now, they can't play
Gebbedo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm a big fan of his potential and want him to get a legitmate chance in a real game. I agree that Weeden might like him and get to stretch the field with him but i think more importantly, he is a very big contributer on special teams. He is always on of the first two guys down field on kick offs and a starting gunner on punts. I think for this reason he has a solid chance to stay around. And to whoever said we won't keep 7 receivers, we won't need to. We only kept 5 around last year since robiskie was cut. JC,MM,GL,JN, CM

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a fan of his from USF and on... I really hope he can contribute this season!

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
NickZambo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's year three for C Mitch which is make or break. Weeden is going to help him if he can beat coverage.

Funny, everyone was complaining about our draft and the fact that we passed on WRs until the 4th. I am 110% happy about the Schwartz pick in the 2nd, we need to protect the BW3 and pave the way for Trich. I know as rabid Browns fans, you all are keeping tabs on the UDFA pick ups, but if you aren't, we picked up about 5 WRs, and they are all FAST. I think that we have plenty of WRs going into this season, hopefully someone steps up. And I expect big things from Little this year, he will be a #1 reciever.

Training camp can't get here soon enough!

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
It's year three for C Mitch which is make or break. Weeden is going to help him if he can beat coverage.

Funny, everyone was complaining about our draft and the fact that we passed on WRs until the 4th. I am 110% happy about the Schwartz pick in the 2nd, we need to protect the BW3 and pave the way for Trich. I know as rabid Browns fans, you all are keeping tabs on the UDFA pick ups, but if you aren't, we picked up about 5 WRs, and they are all FAST. I think that we have plenty of WRs going into this season, hopefully someone steps up. And I expect big things from Little this year, he will be a #1 reciever.

Training camp can't get here soon enough!

I was fine with the Schwartz pick, I do wish that we got Childs later but we could be surprised with our team this year, to be honest if G-little can develop and cribbs takes some steps then we just need Carlton/benji/someone to contribute and folks... We have a fricken offense in Cleveland!

Note I did not mention momass because I feel he will stay the same level and be our Joe jurevicius type guy that can help keep the chains moving but not be a "game changer"

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Post-Draft Skill Player Impressions Part-I

Matt Walsman of Rookie Scouting Portfolio seems to think that Mitchell could break out this season.

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

What I like about Brandon Weeden is his big arm. Bill Smith of Frying Pan Sports mentioned on his draft day podcast that receiver Carlton Mitchell didn’t see much of the field last year because he routinely outran Colt McCoy’s range on vertical routes. If this assessment is true, Mitchell might be the reason the Browns only added one receiver with true vertical skill in this draft, Miami Hurricane Travis Benjamin.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Walsman of Rookie Scouting Portfolio seems to think that Mitchell could break out this season.

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

What I like about Brandon Weeden is his big arm. Bill Smith of Frying Pan Sports mentioned on his draft day podcast that receiver Carlton Mitchell didn’t see much of the field last year because he routinely outran Colt McCoy’s range on vertical routes. If this assessment is true, Mitchell might be the reason the Browns only added one receiver with true vertical skill in this draft, Miami Hurricane Travis Benjamin.

This really doesn't make any sense. He didn't play bc he outran Colts passes? Lame. That seems like a good problem to have.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

This really doesn't make any sense. He didn't play bc he outran Colts passes? Lame. That seems like a good problem to have.

Having a QB unable to effectively make passes beyond 15 yards is a good problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: