Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carlton Mitchell??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
2012 Post-Draft Skill Player Impressions Part-I

Matt Walsman of Rookie Scouting Portfolio seems to think that Mitchell could break out this season.

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

What I like about Brandon Weeden is his big arm. Bill Smith of Frying Pan Sports mentioned on his draft day podcast that receiver Carlton Mitchell didn’t see much of the field last year because he routinely outran Colt McCoy’s range on vertical routes. If this assessment is true, Mitchell might be the reason the Browns only added one receiver with true vertical skill in this draft, Miami Hurricane Travis Benjamin.

This really doesn't make any sense. He didn't play bc he outran Colts passes? Lame. That seems like a good problem to have.

Having a QB unable to effectively make passes beyond 15 yards is a good problem?

Colt is able to make a pass further than 15 yards down field. The issue is it hangs in the air like a punt.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Walsman of Rookie Scouting Portfolio seems to think that Mitchell could break out this season.

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

What I like about Brandon Weeden is his big arm. Bill Smith of Frying Pan Sports mentioned on his draft day podcast that receiver Carlton Mitchell didn’t see much of the field last year because he routinely outran Colt McCoy’s range on vertical routes. If this assessment is true, Mitchell might be the reason the Browns only added one receiver with true vertical skill in this draft, Miami Hurricane Travis Benjamin.

This really doesn't make any sense. He didn't play bc he outran Colts passes? Lame. That seems like a good problem to have.

Having a QB unable to effectively make passes beyond 15 yards is a good problem?
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Having a WR that can outrun everything. I just don't see how that's a possible reason to not play him.
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Having a WR that can outrun everything. I just don't see how that's a possible reason to not play him.

You wouldn't be utilizing his speed at all. All the throws that would are throws that McCoy struggles with. Even the bubble screen to the WR floats and doesn't have zip. Then the deep passes... If you look at the 6 deep throws Colt had all year the WRs had to stop and wait for the ball. They were then tackled.

The problem comes with hitting the WR in stride. Colt seems to be better on that with passes over the middle. Not so much on the deeper throws or the out breaking routes.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Colt is able to make a pass further than 15 yards down field. The issue is it hangs in the air like a punt.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Colt makes decent decisions, throws a nice ball, and is a team player, but he has a candy arm. That's as close to fact as an opinion can be.

I've yet to see Colt throw a ball with any real stank on it at all. Everything floats and drifts lazily toward it's intended target.

That arm wasn't going to win a Superbowl.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
fte88

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bulldog wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Because if you're gonna use him to stretch the field you want him to, you know, actually stretch it. If it's gonna have to slow down or come back to/wait on the ball it kind of negates what you're trying to do.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. Saying a WR is TOO FAST is the dumbest reason I've ever heard to not play a receiver.

I'm not getting into the QB noodle arm debate. I think its more about timing than it is about arm strength. Thats it.

Mitchell wasn't being held out b/c he was too fast. He was being held out b/c he can't catch the football.
fte88

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I'm sorry. Saying a WR is TOO FAST is the dumbest reason I've ever heard to not play a receiver.

I'm not getting into the QB noodle arm debate. I think its more about timing than it is about arm strength. Thats it.

Mitchell wasn't being held out b/c he was too fast. He was being held out b/c he can't catch the football.

Why can't it be a combination of both? No one is saying he's a great route runner with amazing hands and being too fast was the only reason he wasn't playing. You have to admit that Colt's arm certainly makes Mitchell less of a threat. Now, he would have played regardless if he was more well rounded, but he's not and that hurts him as well.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fte88 wrote:
Why can't it be a combination of both? No one is saying he's a great route runner with amazing hands and being too fast was the only reason he wasn't playing. You have to admit that Colt's arm certainly makes Mitchell less of a threat. Now, he would have played regardless if he was more well rounded, but he's not and that hurts him as well.

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Thats why. This guy simply said he didn't play for that reason. Which is what I was calling the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Then everyone defended him for being to fast Rolling Eyes
fte88

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
fte88 wrote:

Matt Waldman wrote:
Browns

Thats why. This guy simply said he didn't play for that reason. Which is what I was calling the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Then everyone defended him for being to fast Rolling Eyes

Okay, so someone on a podcast said it. Big deal. But I honestly can see a situation in which his speed might have been a hindrance to him with Colt at QB. If you're running a deep route and the QB is floating passes, what good is being fast doing you? None.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not making it a big deal. Maybe you should go back on the first page and look at my original comment to the quote.

Some guy on a podcast said he was too fast. I said it was dumb.Then somehow Colt got into the debate. Thats all.

Its quotes and comments like that that we have a forum isn't it? I just disagree with the guys remarks about Mitchell.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I'm really not making it a big deal. Maybe you should go back on the first page and look at my original comment to the quote.

Some guy on a podcast said he was too fast. I said it was dumb.Then somehow Colt got into the debate. Thats all.

Its quotes and comments like that that we have a forum isn't it? I just disagree with the guys remarks about Mitchell.

it is dumb.

tell him to run slower then.
RabidDawgs

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbest conversation ever!!!!

what people seem to be forgetting, is the FACT that last year, in most instances, by the time a WR was 15 yards down field, Colt was either already on the ground, in the clutches of the defender, or running for his life.

This argument holds zero validity about him outrunning Colts passes.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabidDawgs wrote:

what people seem to be forgetting, is the FACT that last year, in most instances, by the time a WR was 15 yards down field, Colt was either already on the ground, in the clutches of the defender, or running for his life.

Oh good, this again.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
RabidDawgs wrote:

Oh good, this again.

what i find funny is that now that we added one player on the offensive line, all is fixed, and all pressure will go away. apparently the RT position is the most important position in the game of football- more important than the QB position itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: