Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5233
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
My personal opinion would be to get help up the middle on defense (DT, MLB, S) and on the oline before going RB early.


I think the highlighted should be a focus for us. To play a team like the Pats in a "hurry up" you either need a MLB that can cover like a safety or a safety that can hit like a LB.

Denver's had good/great D's without great MLB's, but we've never had one without a great Safety. Thompson, Smith and Atwater gave us pro-bowl safety play for 30 years. We had some great "D"s during that stretch, and haven't had one since Atwater left.

Is there a potentially "great" safety available in this years draft?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 22475
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
bailey24broncos wrote:
I know Fox doesn't have final say, but I am still worried that with the way he likes to run the ball that we will take Lattimore in the first. I like Lattimore but if we go RB in the first I will be so pissed. I wouldn't mind Eddie Lacy if he fell to us in the 2nd though.


I highly doubt we take RB high after taking Hillman. Honestly, I think LB is a given at this point to be taken high. I'm not convinced that Irving won't start over Mays this season anyway, so maybe we'll get a look.


Can't imagine taking a RB at #1. We still need a couple more "3 down" players on defense and our OL could use a serious upgrade.


I agree defensively, but our OL has actually played pretty well this year all around. Beadles hasn't been as bad, and Walton looked much better before injury. Franklin DOES seem to be struggling, but I just don't think they'll go first round RT unless it's BY FAR best value.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5233
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
bailey24broncos wrote:
I know Fox doesn't have final say, but I am still worried that with the way he likes to run the ball that we will take Lattimore in the first. I like Lattimore but if we go RB in the first I will be so pissed. I wouldn't mind Eddie Lacy if he fell to us in the 2nd though.


I highly doubt we take RB high after taking Hillman. Honestly, I think LB is a given at this point to be taken high. I'm not convinced that Irving won't start over Mays this season anyway, so maybe we'll get a look.


Can't imagine taking a RB at #1. We still need a couple more "3 down" players on defense and our OL could use a serious upgrade.


I agree defensively, but our OL has actually played pretty well this year all around. Beadles hasn't been as bad, and Walton looked much better before injury. Franklin DOES seem to be struggling, but I just don't think they'll go first round RT unless it's BY FAR best value.


I think we agree. I'd love to see us another impact player on the "D" with our 1st. Good OL talent can be found a bit later.
Our lack of depth on the OL is scary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that MLB and DT are out biggest holes right now. I also want to take a WR. Basically, my ideal draft would be something like this...

1. Manti Te'o MLB OR Kawann Short DT
2. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3. Will Sutton DT/DE OR Michael Mauti MLB

I would prefer the first scenario. IMO, there is a very good chance that Te'o falls to our pick. And Will Sutton is a beast. He reminds me of Henry Melton. Needs to add weight though. But, he will be a great, versatile pass rusher.

I would target S as our big FA splash this summer. Of all the positions in the league, the safeties class of 2013 is the best class. I hate giving big money to free agents, but historically safety signings seem to work out decently. I really want to come out of the summer with one of Kenny Phillips, Patrick Chung and Jarius Byrd. Those three guys are all difference makers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10750
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my concern w/ the oline has a lot more due to depth than anything else. Plus some competition to get the best 5 on the field is never a bad thing.

Isn't it funny how every single year we seem to be wanting do draft the same thing? I think the past 5 or so years I have wanted us to either draft a DT, MLB, or S in the first round
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12557
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I think that MLB and DT are out biggest holes right now. I also want to take a WR. Basically, my ideal draft would be something like this...

1. Manti Te'o MLB OR Kawann Short DT
2. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3. Will Sutton DT/DE OR Michael Mauti MLB

I would prefer the first scenario. IMO, there is a very good chance that Te'o falls to our pick. And Will Sutton is a beast. He reminds me of Henry Melton. Needs to add weight though. But, he will be a great, versatile pass rusher.

I would target S as our big FA splash this summer. Of all the positions in the league, the safeties class of 2013 is the best class. I hate giving big money to free agents, but historically safety signings seem to work out decently. I really want to come out of the summer with one of Kenny Phillips, Patrick Chung and Jarius Byrd. Those three guys are all difference makers.

Patrick Chung is not that good. He's been very overrated. he has some very good games but he's injury prone and he'll play through it but he isn't the same. Byrd is definitely the better S from Oregon. Honestly though Pats S play has been bad last few yrs and I'm not that worried about replacing Chung and I expect some team will overpay for him.
jonnyj20 wrote:
Isn't it funny how every single year we seem to be wanting do draft the same thing? I think the past 5 or so years I have wanted us to either draft a DT, MLB, or S in the first round

Very rarely is there one worth taking high that gets there. S has mostly been reached on recently. Though this yr is suppose to have some avail in late first 2nd round region. But S seems to be very difficult to develop.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2590
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look at some players out of the 2013 FA class. Next to our own FAs who need to be signed I'd like the FO to consider the likes of Marcel Reece, Delanie Walker, Greg Jennings, Joshua Cribbs, Carlos Clemons, Henry Melton, Randy Starks, Kelvin Hayden and Greg Toler. The ones in italics are the group of players I think we could actually sign a couple from.
_________________

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10750
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Very rarely is there one worth taking high that gets there. S has mostly been reached on recently. Though this yr is suppose to have some avail in late first 2nd round region. But S seems to be very difficult to develop.

Yeah, I desperately wanted Weddle back in the day. Mostly for homer reasons but watching that guy play for several years I was just so impressed how savvy he was, and I personally watched him lock down Megatron in a bowl game. It was a thing of beauty. I pumped up all offseason how he was better than Griffin, Nelson and maybe even Landry but it mostly got thrown back in my face that I was just a homer.
The last few years I really wanted Taylor Mays and Zbikowski. I was not a fan of drafting Moore. Rahim seems to be turning his game up, so I hope that continues.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2590
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Very rarely is there one worth taking high that gets there. S has mostly been reached on recently. Though this yr is suppose to have some avail in late first 2nd round region. But S seems to be very difficult to develop.

Yeah, I desperately wanted Weddle back in the day. Mostly for homer reasons but watching that guy play for several years I was just so impressed how savvy he was, and I personally watched him lock down Megatron in a bowl game. It was a thing of beauty. I pumped up all offseason how he was better than Griffin, Nelson and maybe even Landry but it mostly got thrown back in my face that I was just a homer.
The last few years I really wanted Taylor Mays and Zbikowski. I was not a fan of drafting Moore. Rahim seems to be turning his game up, so I hope that continues.


We can be glad we didn't draft one of the two, especially Mays.
_________________

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 7901
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver's OT depth could be scary, but along the interior the depth is pretty strong, IMO. I mean Manny Ramirez has done a solid job filling in for Kuper and i expect Dan Koppen to perform well at OC for the rest of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8400
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the draft... this 2013 class at Safety could be the best thats come in out in years. Theres got to be at least a dozen players in the first 3 rounds. That could benefit us greatly. Teams that are looking for the quality safety can overlook a DT or OL.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5233
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Looking at the draft... this 2013 class at Safety could be the best thats come in out in years. Theres got to be at least a dozen players in the first 3 rounds. That could benefit us greatly. Teams that are looking for the quality safety can overlook a DT or OL.


Best Safety class ever was 1981. Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith. Just think what any one of the three would do for our defense.

Hopefully jersey you're right and we could grab a good one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 17408
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Sutton was impressive, albeit it was against a pretty bad CU line. Good quickness and versatile but undersized at 6'1" 270.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8400
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gonna throw this name out to you guys and keep an eye out for him. Hes a sleeper right now in my book. Not a high pick by any means but hes got about as much potential as any player in college right now.

DE Margus Hunt (SMU)

Dont ask me why Im watching SMU vs. Tulane right now (if you really want to know my brother-in-law plays for tulane). This guy just absolutely demolished a double-team on 3rd and long then blew up the QB. I went ahead to google him because I never heard of him...

Guys from Estonia, won golds in discus and shotput in the 2006 World Juniors in Beijing. Came to America to train with the SMU track-and-field coach (whose apparently one of the best in the world), then SMU dropped their track program his freshman year so he was asked to walk-on the football team.

All reported numbers:
Hes 6'8" 282lbs.
Arm Length- 82 inches
Benches 225- 45 reps
Power Cleans- 385lb
Vertical Jump- 36 in Shocked (Im thinking a guy 6'8" 3-feet in the air)
40-time- 4.6

Talk about off-the-charts. Holy smokes. I also saw hes got 17 blocked kicks in 3 years. BLOCKED KICKS! A 6'8" guy with 82in long arms and a 36" vertical. Thats just not fair.

Ill keep him on my radar boys.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7456
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Looking at the draft... this 2013 class at Safety could be the best thats come in out in years. Theres got to be at least a dozen players in the first 3 rounds. That could benefit us greatly. Teams that are looking for the quality safety can overlook a DT or OL.


Best Safety class ever was 1981. Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith. Just think what any one of the three would do for our defense.

Hopefully jersey you're right and we could grab a good one.


Zeke Matta would be awesome. Cool name.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 9 of 83

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group