Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens re-sign CB Cary Williams to tender contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I could potentially see Brown trying his hand at safety. Lord knows we need the depth.

I don't necessarily disagree but there's nothing to base that off of. The same goes for Graham, the only thing I could find about him playing safety was some Chicago fans thinking he could/should move there. It wouldn't be surprising to see either back there but I'm not counting on it. I think Gorrer has taken reps there during training camp though. I'm not sure there's a huge need for depth at the safety position anymore, at least in the team's eyes, with Reed, Pollard, Thompson, Considine, and Cook on the roster. I would rather see somebody else besides Thompson and/or Considine as the main backup. Thompson seems like he will be way too raw to play right away and Considine isn't a good player.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
The same goes for Graham, the only thing I could find about him playing safety was some Chicago fans thinking he could/should move there.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/05/safety_patrol_corey_grahams_mo.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12-29/sports/ct-spt-1230-graham-bears-chicago--20111230_1_corey-graham-major-wright-nickel

He's been tried out in the position a couple of times with the Bears. Not saying it validates him being the frontrunner for the backup spot, but unlike some of the others in the competition, he at least has some prior experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/05/safety_patrol_corey_grahams_mo.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12-29/sports/ct-spt-1230-graham-bears-chicago--20111230_1_corey-graham-major-wright-nickel

He's been tried out in the position a couple of times with the Bears. Not saying it validates him being the frontrunner for the backup spot, but unlike some of the others in the competition, he at least has some prior experience.

That makes me feel a bit better, I can't believe I didn't find that before when we were talking about Graham when the Ravens signed him. d'oh!

Quote:
The Bears tried Graham at safety in practice one other time during his five-year career.

If that's true I don't think he has much of an advantage/more of a chance getting time at safety than any of the other guys though.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Graham is a STer and Asa Jackson is a camp body until proven otherwise, especially with our depth right now.

I mean unless you actually believe Corey Graham and Asa Jackson are hidden gems.

Graham has been more than a great special teams player. It's the main thing the media focused on when the Ravens signed him but Graham showed some nice attributes on defense as well. I can kind of see your point with Jackson (maybe our definitions of camp body are different), but your comment about Graham, Brown, and Jackson fighting for a special teams spot made it seem like you though only one of them will make the roster. I would be very surprised if Jackson didn't because of his ability to return kicks and punts as well as playing on the coverage teams. He has the talent to win the 4th CB spot as well. If anybody is going to be written off I would say it would be Brown. The Ravens have kept 6 CB spots on the roster for the past few seasons and with the talent they have at the position right now I don't see why they wouldn't continue the trend.

I could potentially see Brown trying his hand at safety. Lord knows we need the depth.

I think if anyone is going to try to move to safety it's going to be Cary. He's got the height, and I think last year he was our 2nd reserve safety (behind 'Ruki). It makes the most sense IF we wanted to move one of our corners to safety.

Just have Webb/Jimmy starting corners and then rotate the other guys in at nickel.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
dcarey20

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to get Cary under contract. It will be interesting to see who gets that 4th corner spot, I'd give the edge to Corey Graham but as others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens move him around a bit and see what he can do at safety in some situations.

I like Danny Gorrer alot too, he was impressive in his limited time. And as far as Asa Jackson goes, I think he's alot more than a "camp body", which would imply he could possibly get cut. We almost never cut our draft picks, and while his immediate value will be in the return game, I actually like what I've heard as far as his ability defensively.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Graham is a STer and Asa Jackson is a camp body until proven otherwise, especially with our depth right now.

I mean unless you actually believe Corey Graham and Asa Jackson are hidden gems.

Graham has been more than a great special teams player. It's the main thing the media focused on when the Ravens signed him but Graham showed some nice attributes on defense as well. I can kind of see your point with Jackson (maybe our definitions of camp body are different), but your comment about Graham, Brown, and Jackson fighting for a special teams spot made it seem like you though only one of them will make the roster. I would be very surprised if Jackson didn't because of his ability to return kicks and punts as well as playing on the coverage teams. He has the talent to win the 4th CB spot as well. If anybody is going to be written off I would say it would be Brown. The Ravens have kept 6 CB spots on the roster for the past few seasons and with the talent they have at the position right now I don't see why they wouldn't continue the trend.

I think if anyone is going to try to move to safety it's going to be Cary. He's got the height, and I think last year he was our 2nd reserve safety (behind 'Ruki). It makes the most sense IF we wanted to move one of our corners to safety.

Just have Webb/Jimmy starting corners and then rotate the other guys in at nickel.

I'd much rather have that height on the outside at CB though.

My favorite guy to play FS is definitely Webb, but with him at CB, I'd think Brown would be the best choice to make the change to safety. He's a solid tackler and was pretty physical in college.

Gorrer has looked good at CB and is probably the top guy for the 4th CB spot right now.

I haven't seen much of Graham, but he made the Pro-Bowl as a special teamer, so I'd think that's going to be his main role. I've heard he was a decent nickel for Chicago so I doubt he ends up being used as a starting safety when he has so much value on special teams.

Asa Jackson is better in coverage and not as solid a tackler as Brown, so he doesn't make a lot of sense there over Brown. Jackson is probably only going to see special teams this year, but I see him eventually being a pretty good CB, not so much at safety.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I disagree. Cary has proven to be adept as a boundary corner, I think it'd be a waste of those skills to kick him inside... especially considering that he isn't anything more than a solid tackler, I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him to be the last line of defense. His instincts while solid, are also not spectacular, I wouldn't want him covering a deep half very often. He looks more comfortable in man coverage.

My main reason for keeping him at corner however is Webb's role as our nickel corner. For us to keep Webb lined up opposite the slot, we're going to need to have a strong cover corner on the outside and Cary provides that. It should allow us to continue to utilize Webb as an all around football threat.

I'd like to see Christian Thompson utilized as the main backup safety at both FS and SS. From the tape, he hits like a truck and he has the size you look for at 6'0.5" and 211 lbs. Also his weaknesses tend to be similar to what we saw from Bernard Pollard. Perhaps scheming him similarly to how we utilize Pollard would allow him to develop while protecting his weaknesses.

If we're looking to move a CB to FS however, I think it's got to be Graham. Again, size matters, and he has enough of it. Chykie Brown doesn't have the ideal frame at a lean 190 lbs, Gorrer is only 185 lbs. Graham has at close to 10 lbs on both guys and is known to be able to drop the hammer. He'd probably only need to gain another five or so pounds to be ideal size for a FS.

In terms of T-Mim/Ace... I'd rather we leave him at corner. And I definitely don't agree with the comment of him as "camp-fodder". We didn't draft the guy in the 5th round so that we could just use him as a body. This guy dominated at his level to the tune of not ever giving up a receiving touchdown... and then he went to the senior bowl and competed with athletes he wasn't familiar with in skill-set and ability and yet performed well.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

The thing is that would cost us our 3rd CB which I doubt anyone would want to to.

The only reason I mentioned Brown was that he seems that he may be the odd man out and that if he wanted to stick around, such a move may be something he might need to try. Not saying it will work at all, just saying it could be one of those "It's either this or I'm out" kind of deals.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Flaccomania: My situation was purely hypothetical and it would be in the event that Ed Reed went down and we needed an emergency FS. My vote would go to Cary Williams.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
@Flaccomania: My situation was purely hypothetical and it would be in the event that Ed Reed went down and we needed an emergency FS. My vote would go to Cary Williams.

Your quoted statement surely mentioned the "try to move to safety" Wink

But even if Ed Reed went down and we needed an emergency FS, I'd still take Thompson or Cook over losing our 3rd CB.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

But even if Ed Reed went down and we needed an emergency FS, I'd still take Thompson or Cook over losing our 3rd CB.

Well I think in my head I was asking myself "If I had to choose a CB to move to safety, who would I choose?" and thus I answered Cary Williams.

Hope that clears things up.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Well I think in my head I was asking myself "If I had to choose a CB to move to safety, who would I choose?" and thus I answered Cary Williams.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks, it does.

Though I still contend that we'd be better served keeping Cary at CB and letting Cook/Thompson step in in the event that Ed goes down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: