Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Presenting: The Top 50 NHL Franchise Cornerstones *6-8*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very disappointed the Islanders took Strome over Couturier.

Strome is a smallish project who only had one great season and he regressed this year. SC was exactly what we needed and still need--a big two-way center who can chip in 65-75 points and play in all situations.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:

Strome is a smallish project who only had one great season and he regressed this year. SC was exactly what we needed and still need--a big two-way center who can chip in 65-75 points and play in all situations.

I'm still baffled that Winnipeg passed on him and reached on Mark Schiefele with the 7th pick.

It's not even that I don't think Schiefele, Zibanejad, or Strome won't be strong contributors for their respective franchises, but I still don't understand why such a mature/NHL-ready and skilled prospect, as Couturier was at the time, was bypassed despite being hyped at one point by scouts as the unanimous #1 overall pick.

At the end of the day, I really feel as though he's going to be one of the 2-3 best players from his draft class, and it wouldn't shock me if he wound up the best all-around player.

The Flyers really hit gold with that Jeff Carter trade.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40. Loui Eriksson, RW, Stars

Often overlooked and underappreciated by the national media, Eriksson is nonetheless one of the league's very best all-around wingers. A very intelligent hockey player, the Swedish-born forward is positionally sound and an asset at both ends of the ice for the Stars. There's no real aspect of his game that really stands out when you watch him play, rather he's solid across the board, whether it be his hands, playmaking abilities, skating, or strength. Perhaps my favorite characteristic of Eriksson's game is his ability create offensive zone time through his puck possession skills, much in the same mold as fellow Scandinavian players Henrik Zetterberg or Keri Lehtonen.

A model of consistency, Eriksson has posted 3 straight 70+ point seasons since his 2009 breakout campaign. He's become a safe bet for 30 goals-30 assists every season, and I don't see that changing anytime soon now that he's firmly established himself on the Stars' top line and PP unit. In 2012, Eriksson provided his usual 71 points while ranking 2nd on the club in on-ice goals for per 60 minutes with a 3.31 mark. While he may be better than several players ahead of him on the list at this point in time, I felt this was an appropriate placement for the Swedish forward due to his age and limited upside moving forward. What you see right now is pretty much what you're going to get, and Dallas fans should certainly pleased with his production to date.

Offensive Upside - B+
Defensive Upside - B+

Eriksson's postage stamp

39. Ryan McDonagh, D, Rangers

Enough has already been made about the trade that brought the young American blueliner over to New York in exchange for Scott Gomez, so I'll just stick to analyzing his talent and production. Taken 12th overall by the Canadiens in the 2007 draft, McDonagh had his ups and downs in college hockey, where he played for the University of Wisconsin. At 6'1, 200 pounds, the most notable elements of his game are his mobility, positioning, and defensive awareness. Few defenseman in the league possess such poise and tremendous skating ability, and despite putting up average offensive numbers in college, McDonagh has already shown he can certainly chip in offensively at the highest level too.

Thriving under coach Tortorella's defensive structure and system, McDonagh had a monster-esque year in just his sophomore season during 2012. Scoring 32 points and recording a +25, whilst posting a 2.52 on-ice goals for per 60 minutes and 1.86 on-ice goals against per 60 minutes, both ranking 2nd amongst all Rangers defenseman. The 22-year old d-man also had an impressive 24:44 TOI/G and 182 blocked shots, ranking amongst the league leaders in both departments. He and teammate Dan Girardi formed an impressive shutdown pairing, noted for blocking shots, logging tons of hard minutes, and matching up against opposition's top lines. This continued throughout the playoffs as well, where McDonagh's TOI/G increased to 26:49. New York has found themselves a gem, and with MDZ, Staal, and Girardi also on board, the club has arguably assembled the best top 4 in the league.

Offensive Upside - B
Defensive Upside - A

McDonagh's toe drag snipe from the point
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
playmaker8267

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDonagh's a treat to watch. You talk about a perfect coach-player combination, you look at McDonagh-Tortorella.

Very good start, no real gripes so far.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
bkobow05

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Devils on this list? With Couturier at 47, I wouldn't expect it. Unless you like Larsson a lot.

#JDI
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Any Devils on this list? With Couturier at 47, I wouldn't expect it. Unless you like Larsson a lot.

Oh, there's definitely a Devil on the list. I wouldn't expect to see him for awhile though. Wink
bkobow05

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

Oh, there's definitely a Devil on the list. I wouldn't expect to see him for awhile though. Wink
I PMed you. Laughing I gotta know now.

#JDI
mm6492

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
BirdsFan06050 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

I PMed you. Laughing I gotta know now.
Parise

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as if McDonagh is pretty underrated. I honestly consider him one of the best defensemen in the game, already. Whenever I see him he's always out there blocking shots, disrupting plays and getting involved. Then you add his offensive ability to that; you have a great defensemen right there. The Rangers have a nice group in front of Lundqvist.

As for the lone Devil on this list, it has to be Parise. If Henrique were to be on the list, he would've been ranked already. As for Larsson, he hasn't done anything warranting him a spot on this list.

MaclinandMCcoy wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
McNutt busted hard.

Anyone else? No just me? Alright
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see Loui getting some recognition. Very underrated and consistent player, one of my personal favorites

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:

Definitely I feel the same way about Ottawa taking Zibanejad. Nothing against the kid,but Couturier has the size,defensive awareness,hockey sense and smarts to really be a gem come playoff time. Did I mention some sweet hands? anyway,it was speculated that he was passed by a few teams because they didn't like his effort night in and night out and Ottawa even felt he wasn't that passionate about the game. Take it with a grain of salt though

Props to NS922!
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goon wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

Definitely I feel the same way about Ottawa taking Zibanejad. Nothing against the kid,but Couturier has the size,defensive awareness,hockey sense and smarts to really be a gem come playoff time. Did I mention some sweet hands? anyway,it was speculated that he was passed by a few teams because they didn't like his effort night in and night out and Ottawa even felt he wasn't that passionate about the game. Take it with a grain of salt though

That was the knock on Couturier last year. Going into his draft year he was the top rated prospect ahead of RNH, Landeskog and Larsson. But he showed at times during his last year that he wasnt giving 100% all the time, which caused his character to come into question. Combine that with a lackluster World Junior performance and he slipped on draft day. The talent is there, and Im more than glad he showed it this season since I had him as my 2nd ranked prospect last year behind Larsson
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoooooooooooter.

Kid is going to be sensational. Once he starts getting some PP time and ice time with more competent wingers he'll be a strong point producer in the NHL. Good list so far, not sure I'd put Seabrook ahead of Suter but hey, it is your list. Wink

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Scoooooooooooter.

Kid is going to be sensational. Once he starts getting some PP time and ice time with more competent wingers he'll be a strong point producer in the NHL. Good list so far, not sure I'd put Seabrook ahead of Suter but hey, it is your list. Wink

They're different defenseman so it's tougher to make a judgment call there, which is why I put them back-to-back. Ultimately, Seabrook has been a border-line elite defender in the league for a long time period than Suter IMO, giving him the slight edge. It's also rarer to find a guy with his combination of offensive skill and physicality.
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Nice to see Loui getting some recognition. Very underrated and consistent player, one of my personal favorites

Gotta love him. He's very swift and stealthy on the ice. He is the most underrated player in the NHL year in and year out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: