Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sporting News Coaches Rankings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warsaw Warriors

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Sporting News Coaches Rankings Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been posted, but I thought this was interesting. My thoughts are that I have always felt we need to give him a pass for last year. No talent, no offseason, no OTA's and he was a rookie HC. He made mistakes, but with Childress aboard, some offensive weapons and a year to learn, I am anxious to see what Shurmer can do. He was hired for a reason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19192032

Last edited by Warsaw Warriors on Wed May 30, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-05-24/nfl-coach-ranking-tom-coughlin-bill-belichick-mike-mccarthy-mike-tomlin

That's the link to the actual story instead of the CBS Rapid Report.

Quote:
He'll have to resist the urge to call something other than Trent Richardson left and Trent Richardson right.

I leave more intelligent football commentary in the toilet than this.
bruceb

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you look for first and foremost in a manager of any kind is consistent good judgment.

The criterion that separates mere managers from others and elevates them to the next level is leadership ability...the ability to direct and inspire people to be all they can be.

When an elevated manager is in the public spotlight, composure, honesty and sincerity are what separate the losers from the winners.

I have yet to see consistent good judgment, leadership ability or composure, honesty or sincerity from Shurmur.

What I saw last year was quite the opposite.

So I will reserve judgment, leaning toward "thumbs down".
brooks1957

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce - I agree with your points about consistent judgment and demeanor. Those are good leadership qualities.

I'll offer another point of view. I think that Shurmur gets a mulligan for last season. The 2010/2011 off season was hardly the typical one. In retrospect, Holmgrem should have pulled the trigger on Mangini after the 2009 season, and got his man in place for the 2010 season. With the lockout looming, that would have allowed the team to get started on its long term success plan, and not "let's see if the works one more year with a coach who, obviously was a square peg in a round hole.

So last year with no off season we tried to implement:

A new offense
A new defense

with a totally new, and very green, coaching staff.

And then, players you were counting on either weren't as good as you thought they were or they were injured . The most glaring position was the running back spot, where they were quickly down to their 4th stringer.

Another quality of a great manager is to be able to adjust on the fly successfully. In 2011, when the injuries hit, the Browns lack of depth was sadly exposed. I think Shurmur, who lacked the experience of a veteran HC, made some questionable decisions, but probably did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

In closing, I think that this upcoming season will show how much a proper off season and coaching staff upgrades mean to this team.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

When an elevated manager is in the public spotlight, composure, honesty and sincerity are what separate the losers from the winners.

I have yet to see consistent good judgment, leadership ability or composure, honesty or sincerity from Shurmur.

Bill Belichick is the last person I'd ever describe as honest or sincere, he's done pretty well.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what i say to all the people on the outside and frankley some of our own posters...... i take something from MGK.

anybody sayin clevelands dead, eff yall tell em thats what cleveland said!

believeland 2012 baby!

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

duke2056

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shurmur put on the worst coaching clinic I have ever seen last year.

That said, he was not in a position to succeed at all (poor talent, no offseason, no offensive coordinator).

HOWEVER...................if he is anywhere even remotely close to as bad this year, I will not even come close to wanting him back in 2014.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Bill Belichick is the last person I'd ever describe as honest or sincere, he's done pretty well.

I assume you aren't saying that Shurmur > to Belichick.

That having been said, I think Belichick always has been brutally honest, to the point of offensiveness (he has mellowed!). If one is honest, one almost necessarily is sincere, maybe just not in a "kind and gentle" and appealing way.

btw: I loved Belichick when he was here.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

That having been said, I think Belichick always has been brutally honest, to the point of offensiveness (he has mellowed!). If one is honest, one almost necessarily is sincere, maybe just not in a "kind and gentle" and appealing way.

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

the same spygate Bill Belicheck? the same guy who listed Brady as wither questionable or probable for like two straight years?

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

the same spygate Bill Belicheck? the same guy who listed Brady as wither questionable or probable for like two straight years?

In the context of to the media. Now you're into ethics, which is a completely different matter!
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

In the context of to the media. Now you're into ethics, which is a completely different matter!

sooooo Bellicheck has always answered a question asked to him by the media?

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

No, in his early years he was aloof of the media. At least he was not, like Shurmur, petulant.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

No, in his early years he was aloof of the media. At least he was not, like Shurmur, petulant.

righhhhhtttt. well atleast he is brutally honest Rolling Eyes

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bruceb wrote:

righhhhhtttt. well atleast he is brutally honest Rolling Eyes

Quote:
pet·u·lant (pch-lnt)
adj.
1. Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
2. Contemptuous in speech or behavior.

i'm surprised belichickian isnt listed as a synonym.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: