Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dallas Mavericks Thread - Best Offseason In The West!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Dallas Mavericks Thread - Best Offseason In The West! Reply with quote

Last edited by the lone star on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 29 times in total
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nets lost a great chance at acquiring Dwight Howard by not getting into the top 3.

I'm glad about that, because now the Mavs have a better shot at getting Deron, and possibly even Dwight.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you think you are, making a new thread?

Wink
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
Who do you think you are, making a new thread?

Wink

I've gotten so used to locking them up that I almost forgot how to create one Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we didn't trust Cubans? JFK would be ashamed of you, tls

[]_[] Family
Not 1, not 2, not 3...........it's not a joke, it's a threat
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins82 wrote:
I thought we didn't trust Cubans? JFK would be ashamed of you, tls

only for their sandwiches and cigar expertise

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo happy the Nets got screwed. I don't believe all of these "reports", because they're really contradictory, but I do believe a trade for Howard would get D-Will to stay, and I don't believe they can construct a trade for Howard.

On Garnett, from the old thread, surely Dallas doesn't offer him more money than Boston? And you guys are looking way too narrowly. Maybe a Dirk, KG, Nash, J. Johnson core contends for one season, but no more and Johnson's contract screws them so hard through 2016. A D-Will, Dirk, Marion core contends for at least two seasons, and D-Will plus a ton of 2014 cap space could entice some of the high end free agents of that class to come here as Dirk declines into a high end role player.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is none of my business but 'Why make a new thread?' I'm just curious. Embarassed
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeinthaboot wrote:
This is none of my business but 'Why make a new thread?' I'm just curious. Embarassed

Just a policy that once a thread gets to 100 pages, we make a new one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
lifeinthaboot wrote:

Just a policy that once a thread gets to 100 pages, we make a new one

Exactly. Plus the guy who made the old one rarely posts on here anymore, although that's an extremely minor detail.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Sooooo happy the Nets got screwed. I don't believe all of these "reports", because they're really contradictory, but I do believe a trade for Howard would get D-Will to stay, and I don't believe they can construct a trade for Howard.

On Garnett, from the old thread, surely Dallas doesn't offer him more money than Boston? And you guys are looking way too narrowly. Maybe a Dirk, KG, Nash, J. Johnson core contends for one season, but no more and Johnson's contract screws them so hard through 2016. A D-Will, Dirk, Marion core contends for at least two seasons, and D-Will plus a ton of 2014 cap space could entice some of the high end free agents of that class to come here as Dirk declines into a high end role player.

Yeah, I don't want Joe Johnson because of his contract, but if we were able to trade for him without using our amnesty, we could amnesty him towards the end of his contract and go nuts in free agency one year.

Same could be said if we sign Nash and KG to two year deals. That way we have those 2 contracts, plus the contracts of Nowitzki and Marion coming off the books. That would be really interesting.

Deron is option #1 because he'd give us longevity, but I don't think getting him would be the best for our chances in the short run. KG playing next to Dirk is a perfect fit, as is Nash with Marion. Get a nice 2 guard that can play defense to help cover up for Nash's deficiencies there, and that's a championship caliber squad, especially if we bring back JET to score off the bench.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really starting to think that D-Will is not going to be a Maverick. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for him to go elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, it makes a lot of sense for us to want him, but it doesn't make much sense for him to come here outside of living in the area. We really don't have any longevity here, and I think he is looking for a window that is bigger than three years or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Yeah, I don't want Joe Johnson because of his contract, but if we were able to trade for him without using our amnesty, we could amnesty him towards the end of his contract and go nuts in free agency one year.

Can't use the amnesty on a player added to your roster after the approval of the CBA

Quote:
Same could be said if we sign Nash and KG to two year deals. That way we have those 2 contracts, plus the contracts of Nowitzki and Marion coming off the books. That would be really interesting.

But what 2014 free agent wants to go to a team where all of the players range from 36 to 40?

Quote:
Deron is option #1 because he'd give us longevity, but I don't think getting him would be the best for our chances in the short run. KG playing next to Dirk is a perfect fit, as is Nash with Marion. Get a nice 2 guard that can play defense to help cover up for Nash's deficiencies there, and that's a championship caliber squad, especially if we bring back JET to score off the bench.

KG next to Dirk is a decent fit, not a perfect fit. Chandler was the perfect fit; Garnett is a better player but lacks a lot of key qualities of Chandler, specifically youth, athleticism, weakside shot blocking.

I don't think that shooting guard you're describing is so easy to find, either. It sounds like you want an Afflalo kinda guy. Dude got $43M on the open market; good 2-guards are hard to find. And Dallas has to rescind Terry's rights as a free agent for all of this to happen, meaning the most they can pay him is 3 years, $9M, the exact contract we're not sure he'll accept if the team gets D-Will.

I understand the value in short term over long term if you really think you can win it all, but what makes this team any better than the Heat or Thunder? And where is all this cap space coming from? And why is Garnett coming here?

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I am really starting to think that D-Will is not going to be a Maverick. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for him to go elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, it makes a lot of sense for us to want him, but it doesn't make much sense for him to come here outside of living in the area. We really don't have any longevity here, and I think he is looking for a window that is bigger than three years or so.

I'm starting to think the same, but not for longevity purposes. Any competent franchise can build a contender when they've got 2 All-Stars, and Dallas is set to have a ton of 2014 cap space even if they get D-Will. I actually think the questions are short term. Would you rather play with Dirk and Marion (and whatever Dallas can get in the draft and for the MLE or less) or Kobe and Gasol?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
the lone star wrote:

Can't use the amnesty on a player added to your roster after the approval of the CBA

Quote:

But what 2014 free agent wants to go to a team where all of the players range from 36 to 40?

Quote:

KG next to Dirk is a decent fit, not a perfect fit. Chandler was the perfect fit; Garnett is a better player but lacks a lot of key qualities of Chandler, specifically youth, athleticism, weakside shot blocking.

I don't think that shooting guard you're describing is so easy to find, either. It sounds like you want an Afflalo kinda guy. Dude got $43M on the open market; good 2-guards are hard to find. And Dallas has to rescind Terry's rights as a free agent for all of this to happen, meaning the most they can pay him is 3 years, $9M, the exact contract we're not sure he'll accept if the team gets D-Will.

I understand the value in short term over long term if you really think you can win it all, but what makes this team any better than the Heat or Thunder? And where is all this cap space coming from? And why is Garnett coming here?

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I'm starting to think the same, but not for longevity purposes. Any competent franchise can build a contender when they've got 2 All-Stars, and Dallas is set to have a ton of 2014 cap space even if they get D-Will. I actually think the questions are short term. Would you rather play with Dirk and Marion (and whatever Dallas can get in the draft and for the MLE or less) or Kobe and Gasol?

Yeah, I think we will be good in the long run if we get Deron, because once we re-sign Dirk, it will be for considerably less than his current contract. If we bring back Marion, then same goes for him.

And as for the Joe Johnson trade idea, I still think that would be a desperate move on our part. I'd really hate to go that route. I'd much rather sign guys like Gilbert Arenas, Marbury, and Iverson to short-term deals than Joe Johnson. But just so I'm clear here, even though Joe Johnson's contract was signed before the new CBA, he would not be eligible to be amnestied if the Hawks traded him away? That's a huge bummer if so. That's another thing I would like to see changed for the new CBA.

As for 2014 if we got Nash and KG, we wouldn't have them on our roster at that time, they would be free agents as well. So essentially we'd have a vacant roster and all the cap space we need to lure other free agents in. Just gotta lock up Dirk, but that wont be a problem.

The 2 guard thing still isn't a problem the way I see it. Afflalo got paid a nice amount, but we could always draft somebody, bring in a guy for the vet min, biannual, MLE, or mini MLE. I'm only looking for a guy like Stevenson or Delonte West tbh. Not somebody that should earn around $7 million a year like Wes Matthews or Afflalo. Kelenna might be able to help us out a bit, but maybe we can lure in a guy like Jamar Moon to play the 2 for us (I know he's a 3, but im sure he could defend the perimeter like he always does and spot up to shoot some 3s). Anthony Parker is another option, but that would be adding yet another old player to the squad. Good thing is that we would still have Vince, who we could start or bring off the bench. He is better on D than people give him credit for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we trade up and get Zeller, or somehow snag Moultrie. Meyers Leonard could be a guy like Hawes/Chandler, but it will take him a lot of time. Moultrie will wind up being another one of those classic double-double machines that can score inside. He's not as good defensively as Meyers though, so that's a tough trade off. For the short-run, Moultrie is a better fit for our team I would say. However, we are trying to build for long-run success, so I think we have Meyers ranked higher on our board.

Here's hoping that Zeller falls. Pray Pray Pray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 1 of 83

Jump to: