Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dallas Mavericks Thread - Best Offseason In The West!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6598
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by


I think Harden is harder to replace due to his clutch play, and extremely balanced ability to be the distributor or the scorer.

I say let Ibaka walk, because most of his points are shots that he has others create for him. You can get a shot blocker late in the NBA draft, and perhaps one with a decent jumper too. Fab Melo would fit that bill this year.

I wouldn't blow up that superstar/all-star trio right now. It wouldn't make sense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
Hornets would consider trading the #10 pick if another team were to take back Ariza or Okafor.

Interesting. That's tempting, especially if we can find a way to get rid of Roddy and DoJo.

Would be incredibly tough to pull off though, so I don't see that happening. I think the only trade we may make at the draft is a trade with the Kings or Raptors to dump off Odom.

Odom, cash, and a 2nd round pick for Ariza and #10 would be freaking sweet tho.


Dang you Lone Star, you always get my hopes up for some extremely unrealistic possibilities Laughing


lol, I ponder too many things late at night. These are just a few examples of them, lol.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6598
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by


I think Harden is harder to replace due to his clutch play, and extremely balanced ability to be the distributor or the scorer.

I say let Ibaka walk, because most of his points are shots that he has others create for him. You can get a shot blocker late in the NBA draft, and perhaps one with a decent jumper too. Fab Melo would fit that bill this year.

I wouldn't blow up that superstar/all-star trio right now. It wouldn't make sense.


I disagree. I really think that they have the scoring, but he is not just another shot blocker or low post defender. He really is something special, and they would regret letting him go more than Harden IMO
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
But wouldn't a deal for Ariza kill any deal for D-Will?


depends on what we do with Roddy, DoJo, and Carter. We could trade all three away and clear up enough room to offset the acquisition of Ariza. That means all we would have to do is amnesty Haywood, hope that he doesn't get claimed, and then pursue Deron.

That'd be a lot to pull off, but if that's how it all goes down, we could have the 10th and 17th pick on draft day. That means we could wind up with a lineup like this

PG: Deron,
SG: Austin Rivers/Azubuike
SF: Marion/Ariza
PF: Dirk
C: Meyers Leonard/Brandan Wright

Not bad at all. We would still be able to offer the mini-MLE, biannual, and vet min.




Good read on Deron btw: http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1191040.html
^gotta have a membership to view though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys think we could basically purchase Sacramento's 2nd round pick this year? I think we could, and that we should. They need money badly.

$3 million is the price for a late first, so let's say $1.5-2 million is the price for an early 2nd.

If I'm Mark Cuban, I pull the trigger on that deal. Then make a separate deal with the Kings whereby we trade them Odom and $3 million cash for future considerations and the rights to some Euro player.

Kings get a boatload of cash to help their situation out, we get rid of Odom, and we may be able to land a low-upside, but NBA ready player in the early part of the 2nd. There are some Turkish players that really interest me, and apparently Khris Middleton could be had at around #36.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by


I think Harden is harder to replace due to his clutch play, and extremely balanced ability to be the distributor or the scorer.

I say let Ibaka walk, because most of his points are shots that he has others create for him. You can get a shot blocker late in the NBA draft, and perhaps one with a decent jumper too. Fab Melo would fit that bill this year.

I wouldn't blow up that superstar/all-star trio right now. It wouldn't make sense.


I disagree. I really think that they have the scoring, but he is not just another shot blocker or low post defender. He really is something special, and they would regret letting him go more than Harden IMO


Yeah he's a good defender down low, but Collison is good too. Losing Harden would be a huge blow to them, because then they would be back to where they were last year. That's with two reliable scorers, and a handful of other guys that may or may not be that third scorer.

Ibaka is special, sure, but I think that if you get rid of him and Perkins, you have a golden opportunity to go out and find two guys that really complement each other so as to establish an effective post game, whether it be on defense or on offense.

It'll depend on what happens this year and how both Harden and Ibaka develop going forward though. Ibaka still has a lot of room to grow, and while Harden does too, he's much closer to his ceiling than Ibaka is to his own.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6598
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
But wouldn't a deal for Ariza kill any deal for D-Will?


depends on what we do with Roddy, DoJo, and Carter. We could trade all three away and clear up enough room to offset the acquisition of Ariza. That means all we would have to do is amnesty Haywood, hope that he doesn't get claimed, and then pursue Deron.

That'd be a lot to pull off, but if that's how it all goes down, we could have the 10th and 17th pick on draft day. That means we could wind up with a lineup like this

PG: Deron,
SG: Austin Rivers/Azubuike
SF: Marion/Ariza
PF: Dirk
C: Meyers Leonard/Brandan Wright

Not bad at all. We would still be able to offer the mini-MLE, biannual, and vet min.




Good read on Deron btw: http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1191040.html
^gotta have a membership to view though.


At that point, we would pretty much have two Shawn Marion's, so why not trade the older one and clear up a little more cap space as well? And I'd prefer Jeremy Lamb or Dion Waiters over Rivers, but thats just me
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6598
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by


I think Harden is harder to replace due to his clutch play, and extremely balanced ability to be the distributor or the scorer.

I say let Ibaka walk, because most of his points are shots that he has others create for him. You can get a shot blocker late in the NBA draft, and perhaps one with a decent jumper too. Fab Melo would fit that bill this year.

I wouldn't blow up that superstar/all-star trio right now. It wouldn't make sense.


I disagree. I really think that they have the scoring, but he is not just another shot blocker or low post defender. He really is something special, and they would regret letting him go more than Harden IMO


Yeah he's a good defender down low, but Collison is good too. Losing Harden would be a huge blow to them, because then they would be back to where they were last year. That's with two reliable scorers, and a handful of other guys that may or may not be that third scorer.

Ibaka is special, sure, but I think that if you get rid of him and Perkins, you have a golden opportunity to go out and find two guys that really complement each other so as to establish an effective post game, whether it be on defense or on offense.

It'll depend on what happens this year and how both Harden and Ibaka develop going forward though. Ibaka still has a lot of room to grow, and while Harden does too, he's much closer to his ceiling than Ibaka is to his own.


Well regardless, I feel that Harden will get more on the open market, and should test it to see what he can get
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I decided I want to get James Harden next year. There is no way that the Thunder will be able to afford him, with Durant and Westbrook both getting close to $20 million per year, and Ibaka will probably get close to $10 million per year. I would imagine Harden will command around $14 million or so, and the Thunder would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Neither will be easy to replace, but Ibaka will probably be harder to replace, because defensive bigs with decent jumpers are not easy to come by


I think Harden is harder to replace due to his clutch play, and extremely balanced ability to be the distributor or the scorer.

I say let Ibaka walk, because most of his points are shots that he has others create for him. You can get a shot blocker late in the NBA draft, and perhaps one with a decent jumper too. Fab Melo would fit that bill this year.

I wouldn't blow up that superstar/all-star trio right now. It wouldn't make sense.


I disagree. I really think that they have the scoring, but he is not just another shot blocker or low post defender. He really is something special, and they would regret letting him go more than Harden IMO


Yeah he's a good defender down low, but Collison is good too. Losing Harden would be a huge blow to them, because then they would be back to where they were last year. That's with two reliable scorers, and a handful of other guys that may or may not be that third scorer.

Ibaka is special, sure, but I think that if you get rid of him and Perkins, you have a golden opportunity to go out and find two guys that really complement each other so as to establish an effective post game, whether it be on defense or on offense.

It'll depend on what happens this year and how both Harden and Ibaka develop going forward though. Ibaka still has a lot of room to grow, and while Harden does too, he's much closer to his ceiling than Ibaka is to his own.


Well regardless, I feel that Harden will get more on the open market, and should test it to see what he can get


Yeah he'll test fo sho. He and Ibaka are RFAs tho, so OKC could still match both their offers and bring them back. Like I said, that's luxury tax hell, but that might be something they're willing to forgo if it means more and more championships.

Oh how I wish we had kept the 3Js together. They were so amazing to watch back in the day.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
But wouldn't a deal for Ariza kill any deal for D-Will?


depends on what we do with Roddy, DoJo, and Carter. We could trade all three away and clear up enough room to offset the acquisition of Ariza. That means all we would have to do is amnesty Haywood, hope that he doesn't get claimed, and then pursue Deron.

That'd be a lot to pull off, but if that's how it all goes down, we could have the 10th and 17th pick on draft day. That means we could wind up with a lineup like this

PG: Deron,
SG: Austin Rivers/Azubuike
SF: Marion/Ariza
PF: Dirk
C: Meyers Leonard/Brandan Wright

Not bad at all. We would still be able to offer the mini-MLE, biannual, and vet min.




Good read on Deron btw: http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1191040.html
^gotta have a membership to view though.


At that point, we would pretty much have two Shawn Marion's, so why not trade the older one and clear up a little more cap space as well? And I'd prefer Jeremy Lamb or Dion Waiters over Rivers, but thats just me


Yeah, I'm fine with Lamb and Waiters too. Lamb will probably be gone, but Waiters won't. Terrence Ross could be a dark horse to go that high, and he would actually be a perfect fit next to Deron. He wouldn't need to handle the ball as much as Rivers or Waiters, and Ross is a much better defender and rebounder than both of them. Plus he has more length.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Josh Smith, and Jrue Holiday have all been taken at #17 in the draft. That speaks well for us. I hope that somebody like Marshall, Sullinger, Leonard, Waiters, Ross, Moultrie pans out to be like one of them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28233
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4689875/source-nick-calathes-wants-to-start-nba-career

I say bring him in. I would love the versatility that he offers, and he's already got pro experience. Let's make it happen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3482
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
depends on what we do with Roddy, DoJo, and Carter. We could trade all three away and clear up enough room to offset the acquisition of Ariza.


But why? Ariza isn't good. He's just a worse (and equally expensive) version of Marion. There's a reason New Orleans is trying to use their lottery pick to dump him, it's not because they plan to be big players in a mediocre FA class.

Also, remember to include Delonte and Mahinmi in any roster projection. The cap hold on each is about $850K, so for a cap hit of about $1.7M, Dallas is allowed to go over the cap to re-sign either or both of them. Unless either gets a ridiculous offer on the open market, it's pretty reasonable to expect them back.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gofrogs


Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 1508
Location: Fort Worth, TX
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard we are in negotiation with Odom to move his deadline on his contract back to the middle of free agency! That would be helpfull.

Right now we basically have to trade him at the draft or release him before July 1st and take the $2.4M cap hit or keep him and guarantee his $9.8M for next year and hope we can move him as an expiring contract.

But if they can move that deadline back, then he could be the most valuable trade chip contract on the market. Odom would like it because of the traded player exception would allow him to go to his original team if he were "retraded". So he can go back to the Lakers where he wants to be, Mike Brown and Kobe have both said they'd like to get Odom back.

I was thinking, we might be able to package him and Roddy B and the 17th pick for Rudy Gay. Memphis has an outrageous payroll for a small market team, they would get a bench scorer to replace some of Gays offense, plus a solid pick in a good draft. Now all this would be after signing either Hibbert or DWill of course. Very Happy .
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 3 of 83

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group