Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson Reply with quote

Third-round draft pick Josh Robinson hasnít been signed yet, but he isnít concerned, believing it will happen ďreal soon.Ē Robinson prefers to direct his energy to learning the Vikings defense.

Robinson: ďAll my agent [Drew Rosenhaus] told me is heís talking with the Vikings. Real soon, whenever that is. Weíre just waiting on it. We canít do anything else. I canít control it anyway. Iím not going to stress it.Ē

ďIíve been concentrating a lot on the outside cornerback lately, but I have been told I can start learning nickel to make sure I can help out there if need be. All positions will be learned. Iím definitely up to speed as far as whatís being installed. The coaches do a great job of explaining everything and making sure we have an understanding . Weíre even having extra meetings sometimes just to make sure we get it all. Right now, Iím doing pretty well learning everything. Still ironing out, still trying to get better.Ē

http://min.scout.com/2/1191864.html

coo, coo, ca-choo.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite players in the draft this year, Im glad Mr. Robinson is a Viking.

Great speed, great agility, great athlete, he needs to refine his technique, but the potential is there to be a starter at RCB.

Hopefully they can get him signed here real soon.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosenhaus being his agent might come to haunt us later.

#TankItTeddy
HighHopes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that he is fast... Thats all I got to say lol

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:

No doubt, especially watching Ced Griffin at RCB over the years. It will be nice to have a CB with 4.3 speed, I dont think MN has had one of those in a long time. The nice thing about a ridiculously fast CB is they can take gambles as they have the recovery speed to outrun most WRs. That ability to take risks will lead to more takeaways, potentially. One concern with extremely fast players is sometimes they lack the short area change of direction skills to be an inside CB, yet Robinson shined at the combine at those tests as well.

It seems like Robinson will be getting worked more at outside CB, but being to play the inside will be key. I kind of see Robinson as a project player while he improves his technique. Let Carr or Bowman start at RCB and slowly work in Robinson as the dime CB, CB is one of those positions where being confident is key and the last thing the team needs to do is rush him into the lineup.

Whether or not Robinson develops into the nickel or the RCB, I hope he works out better than the previous 3rd rd CBs (McCauley/Allen).
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of CB is he?

Does he play off man and uses his closing speed to deflect?
More of a play the QB, then play the WR before the ball is thrown?

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
What type of CB is he?

POSITIVES: Possesses legitimate NFL cover skills. Has a quick, low backpedal with a fluid hip turn to cover receivers down the field. Has at least adequate straight-line speed and good balance, fluidity to change directions. Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occuring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him. Very good hand-eye coordination and timing to knock passes away as the receiver attempts to secure the catch. Highly competitive. Raised his level of play against top competition.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1681961/josh-robinson

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
since72

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
What type of CB is he?

POSITIVES: Possesses legitimate NFL cover skills. Has a quick, low backpedal with a fluid hip turn to cover receivers down the field. Has at least adequate straight-line speed and good balance, fluidity to change directions. Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occuring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him. Very good hand-eye coordination and timing to knock passes away as the receiver attempts to secure the catch. Highly competitive. Raised his level of play against top competition.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1681961/josh-robinson

So 4.3 speed is "at least adequate"?

"Highly competitive". Gotta love that. I would love to see that assessment on all of our players.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
What type of CB is he?

Does he play off man and uses his closing speed to deflect?
More of a play the QB, then play the WR before the ball is thrown?

He played a lot more zone coverage in college, which is why his technique in man coverage needs a lot of work. Robinson is a bit raw in terms of being a man coverage CB, which is why I dont want to see him thrown to the wolves at RCB. Id rather see him getting his feet wet a bit on the inside, where CBs generally get more opportunities to play zone.

In zone, he does a good job playing the QB, which really is what the Cover 2 requires, but his natural athletic ability and speed suggests he could excel in man coverage if given the opportunity and ability to development properly.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Rob is one of the guys I was paying attention to before the draft. I love the pick, and the fact that he's putting in time learning everything he can about his position.

Even if he doesn't start immediately, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a decent amount of playing time this season. The Dime fits him this year, because I'm pretty positive when I say Chris Cook will be the #1, and Antoine Winfield will be the #3. That leaves the #2 spot, but that battle should be between Bowman/Carr.

Robinson has a high ceiling though, so even if he is only the Dime CB/Punt Returner, I think he can become a player who will mean so much more.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
HighHopes wrote:

No doubt, especially watching Ced Griffin at RCB over the years. It will be nice to have a CB with 4.3 speed, I dont think MN has had one of those in a long time. The nice thing about a ridiculously fast CB is they can take gambles as they have the recovery speed to outrun most WRs.

It's also a case where he's a threat to go the distance on every INT.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
HighHopes wrote:

No doubt, especially watching Ced Griffin at RCB over the years. It will be nice to have a CB with 4.3 speed, I dont think MN has had one of those in a long time. The nice thing about a ridiculously fast CB is they can take gambles as they have the recovery speed to outrun most WRs.

It's also a case where he's a threat to go the distance on every INT.

and punt returns too.

Either way, he's explosive, and I like that we will try to get him on the field as much as possible.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the pick from a long term perspective. I think he's raw, but with the tools to be good. That's a fine combination for a third round pick.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Even if he doesn't start immediately, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a decent amount of playing time this season. The Dime fits him this year, because I'm pretty positive when I say Chris Cook will be the #1, and Antoine Winfield will be the #3. That leaves the #2 spot, but that battle should be between Bowman/Carr.

I don't get why everyone is saying Winfield will be the #3 CB. Just because he plays the slot in nickel coverage doesn't mean hes the 3rd CB. Thats like those saying Harvin will only be on the field in 3 WR sets because hes usually the slot receiver.

Winfield is our best tackling CB. The majority of the time we are in the 4-3 is on running downs. Why would we keep our best tackling CB on the bench for running plays?

Winfield will be one of the two CBs in the 4-3, Cook being the other. In nickel and dime situations, he will slide inside against a slot guy. So in reality, that leaves the #3 spot, where I see no reason why Robinson cannot be in competition with Carr and Bowman.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't get why everyone is saying Winfield will be the #3 CB. Just because he plays the slot in nickel coverage doesn't mean hes the 3rd CB. Thats like those saying Harvin will only be on the field in 3 WR sets because hes usually the slot receiver.

Winfield is our best tackling CB. The majority of the time we are in the 4-3 is on running downs. Why would we keep our best tackling CB on the bench for running plays?

Winfield will be one of the two CBs in the 4-3, Cook being the other. In nickel and dime situations, he will slide inside against a slot guy. So in reality, that leaves the #3 spot, where I see no reason why Robinson cannot be in competition with Carr and Bowman.

I think Winfield can be a 3 down CB, only if he shows that he can still play on the outside. I do have reservations with Winfield being an effective outside CB, it seems like he is best suited as an inside CB, his pure coverage skills seem to have taken a hit the past few seasons. Of course he was hurt last year, but i wouldnt be surprised to see Carr or Bowman as the #2 CB (at RCB), with Winfield coming in during 3 CB sets.

Given how reliable Winfield is in run defense and how he plays like a LB, id probably play a lot more nickel than I would base just to have three CBs on the field at all times while not really losing much in run defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: