Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Upgrade board.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peppers90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Upgrade board. Reply with quote

I've brought this up in the past, a few years ago, but as you know I've ran forums in the past and this software is 7+ years old now.

I know you're goal Webby is to get more and more poster and readers to the site, which is the goal of any website business. I feel moving to an new Invision board (IP.Board) would be a move into the 21st century for this site.

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

It has a ton of new features that would make this community grow larger in terms of incorporating Facebook and Twitter.

Allowing members to sign up using Facebook which would help new members get started quicker.

A reputation feature which would reward top posters ala the old FF HOF poster contest.

Multi-quote, which allows a poster to quote multiple members.

RSS topic option for members to keep closer tabs on a topic even when off the site.

Plus many more that would really add a lot to the forum and IMO help grow the community even larger.

Also, streamlined easy click option for the home page (FootballsFuture.com)

We already have members that are on this site 24/7 pretty much, I believe it's time for an upgrade that will keep more and more members to coming back to this site. By adding an optional Facebook/Twitter option, I believe will help immerse every member of FF into this site much better than they are today.

Not sure how this will fit into your server costs, which I know will remain private, but I think it's time to upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vBulletin > All other forum boards. But yes, it's time for a change. This is way outdated and I thought that since I first joined. Laughing

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 383 rush yds(7.7), 814 rec yds(13.3), 6 TDs
Tyner: 387 rush yds(4.4), 65 rec yds(7.2), 4 TDs
Freeman: 1299 rush yds(5.6), 139 rec yds(9.9), 17 TDs
Peppers90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
vBulletin > All other forum boards. But yes, it's time for a change. This is way outdated and I thought that since I first joined. Laughing

vBulletin is very good I've heard, yes. I'm just more familiar with IPboards. Just any time of upgrade would be welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP boards are boss.

I used to run a few InvisionFree boards pretty successfully, then a couple of ZetaBoards (which suck), and also moderated a few Powerboards (soccer related).

The software on InvisionPower is excellent.

green24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade board. Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
It has a ton of new features that would make this community grow larger in terms of incorporating Facebook and Twitter.

Allowing members to sign up using Facebook which would help new members get started quicker.

I don't like that idea. I like my facebook life and my FF life being separate.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade board. Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

I don't like that idea. I like my facebook life and my FF like being separate.

Then keep them separate?

green24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool if we were able to embed videos and tweets.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vBulletin seriously has all of those features and more. I'm sure it's more expensive than the other ones, but for a site as big as this, I don't think it'll matter too much.

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 383 rush yds(7.7), 814 rec yds(13.3), 6 TDs
Tyner: 387 rush yds(4.4), 65 rec yds(7.2), 4 TDs
Freeman: 1299 rush yds(5.6), 139 rec yds(9.9), 17 TDs
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is incorrect to say that the forum software hasn't been updated in 7 years. While the forum is based on an old open source program, it has been updated numerous times to improve load times, increase usability, and add a few features.

Yes, it doesn't have every feature some of the newer forums have. However, in my experience features aren't very important to the success of a forum. The important things for a forum - offer reliable up-time, quick page loads, ease of use, and most importantly good debates and discussion that are on topic and free from the inappropriate language and personal attacks that plague most forums. These are the things I focus on every day.

That being said, at some point we will upgrade to new forum software. I'm not expecting this to happen anytime soon, but will make an announcement when I have any information to report.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: